Price for virtual Joey??

foghorn2

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 29, 2006
las vegas
Good for Dish, they wont have to ship and install as many Joeys in situations where its not really needed but still collects $7 a month. Smart move.

TheKrell

A mighty and noble race originating on Altair IV.
Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 4, 2007
Fairfax, VA
There goes any interest I had in the Virtual Joey.

I used to agree with that sentiment until I found out that it's only $7/account, no matter how many Smart TVs or PS3's you load it on. It's a pretty good deal if you have a lot of compatible equipment and don't use more than one of them at once. What would really make it great is availability on something cheap, like the Chromecast dongle.

satnewb

SatelliteGuys Pro
Pub Member / Supporter
Mar 9, 2011
New Baltimore, MI
I would also be a customer once the equipment list is expanded. Xbox and/or Samsung Smart TV/BD would allow me to reconfigure my current setup. I'm also curious as to whether or not you could activate/disable the app at your convenience. My son has an xbox 360 and very rarely uses the joey he has currently. If he decided he wanted to watch something on the dvr and I could make a phone call and add the VJ for a day or two and then remove it from the account it would be a very attractive option.

CubsWin

SatelliteGuys Pro
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 17, 2005
Bourbonnais, IL
I would also be a customer once the equipment list is expanded. Xbox and/or Samsung Smart TV/BD would allow me to reconfigure my current setup. I'm also curious as to whether or not you could activate/disable the app at your convenience. My son has an xbox 360 and very rarely uses the joey he has currently. If he decided he wanted to watch something on the dvr and I could make a phone call and add the VJ for a day or two and then remove it from the account it would be a very attractive option.
I wouldn't be surprised if there is an activation fee to flip the switch.

Scherrman

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Mar 14, 2008
Eastern Iowa
More Virtual Joey info from Dish.

• a Virtual Joey may be added to active Hopper accounts only;
• just one Virtual Joey may be active on an account at a time – even if a customer has more than one compatible device;
• they must have a working Internet connection to set up the Virtual Joey;
• the LG and Sony compatible devices and Hopper/Hopper with Sling® must be connected to a router with an Ethernet cable;
• they will be able to set up the Virtual Joey on their own after equipment installation and account activation;
• DISH will ship a Virtual Joey remote to them which should arrive within a week.
• the monthly Additional Receiver Fee for the Virtual Joey is $7, the same as for a regular Joey.
• 2013 Smart TV models from LG Electronics – app available now from the LG Smart Store
• Sony PlayStation 3 – app available late March
• Sony PlayStation 4 – app available May/June 2014

Once a customer’s Hopper system is installed and activated – and the customer has downloaded and opened the app – their compatible LG and/or Sony device’s on-board Install Wizard will automatically detect the Hopper and display a Welcome screen like the one on the LG Smart TV shown at right. When the customer selects Get Started, the Wizard will walk them through the app’s intuitive activation process. Please note: if a non-DISH or non-Hopper customer downloads the Virtual Joey app to their LG or Sony compatible device, they will receive an on-screen message to call DISH.

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
So can you have multiple smart devices with the s/w downloaded and you just pick which one you want to use at any given moment, or must you just have device set up?

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Scherrman

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Mar 14, 2008
Eastern Iowa
So can you have multiple smart devices with the s/w downloaded and you just pick which one you want to use at any given moment, or must you just have device set up?

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

It is my understanding that you can have the app downloaded on multiple devices. You may only access one at a time though.

whitewolf8214

SatelliteGuys Master
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
May 13, 2004
Space
More Virtual Joey info from Dish.

• a Virtual Joey may be added to active Hopper accounts only;
• just one Virtual Joey may be active on an account at a time – even if a customer has more than one compatible device;
• they must have a working Internet connection to set up the Virtual Joey;
• the LG and Sony compatible devices and Hopper/Hopper with Sling® must be connected to a router with an Ethernet cable;
• they will be able to set up the Virtual Joey on their own after equipment installation and account activation;
• DISH will ship a Virtual Joey remote to them which should arrive within a week.
• the monthly Additional Receiver Fee for the Virtual Joey is $7, the same as for a regular Joey.
• 2013 Smart TV models from LG Electronics – app available now from the LG Smart Store
• Sony PlayStation 3 – app available late March
• Sony PlayStation 4 – app available May/June 2014

Once a customer’s Hopper system is installed and activated – and the customer has downloaded and opened the app – their compatible LG and/or Sony device’s on-board Install Wizard will automatically detect the Hopper and display a Welcome screen like the one on the LG Smart TV shown at right. When the customer selects Get Started, the Wizard will walk them through the app’s intuitive activation process. Please note: if a non-DISH or non-Hopper customer downloads the Virtual Joey app to their LG or Sony compatible device, they will receive an on-screen message to call DISH.
Thanks Scherrman!!! :)

DetFan

Pub Member / Supporter
Pub Member / Supporter
Feb 27, 2006
Livonia, Michigan
Do yourself a favor and just get a joey. I tried this garbage. It spends more time looking for the Hopper than it does showing you TV..

Scherrman

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Mar 14, 2008
Eastern Iowa
Do yourself a favor and just get a joey. I tried this garbage. It spends more time looking for the Hopper than it does showing you TV..

At least with the VJ you can try it out and not be out much at all if you don't like it. You don't have an activation fee, installation fee or a contract to worry about.

DNSTrainer

SatelliteGuys Family
Nov 9, 2008
St. Louis area
Did you get the remote shipped to you too?
I was just wondering something about that. Could this be used as a way to get a cheap extra remote? I mean, you set up the Virtual Joey, get the remote shipped to you free of charge, then cancel the Virtual Joey, and end up with a new 40.0 for probably no more than $7.

Scherrman

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Mar 14, 2008
Eastern Iowa
I was just wondering something about that. Could this be used as a way to get a cheap extra remote? I mean, you set up the Virtual Joey, get the remote shipped to you free of charge, then cancel the Virtual Joey, and end up with a new 40.0 for probably no more than $7.

Could be but why not just call up Dish and ask for a replacement remote because yours ins't working? I've heard people say they've gotten free remotes from Dish before.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts