?? Primestar Dish and LNB??

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Ironsides

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 4, 2008
North Carolina
I am sure this has been covered before but can we use the Primestar LNBs for FTA? I was thinking they could be used and the settings would be 10750 Standard Lnb Type? The Lnb I have, has one output for connections and seems to work as I have it located on an unknown satellite that Has around 58 channels. Several of the channels are listed as Nimi and The Radio channels are listed as Learning 1,2,3... The rest of the channels are scrambled... I was almost certain several years ago I had one of these dishes on a satellite that has several Network feeds...I took it down to relocate it and never got around to working on it again because of being sick..

Any help or instructions would be great appreciated and thank you ahead of time!

I am using 2 Primestar dishes with original LNB's most Primestar LNB's have separate horizontal and vertical outputs.. I bought a Primestar dish from my farther in law the other day and the LNB had a single output, I use that for AMC 1 for WCPE and the Pentagon Channel. They are 10750 Standard

thank you

Thank you Gary, you know that is what I thought 10750 but it has been a very long time since I had either of these dishes mounted. Yea, most I have seen had 2 outputs but both of these must have a newer type lnb's and only have one output. On this unknown satellite I was able to tweak it and get almost a 90q. I wish I could figure out what bird it is on, I would almost bet it's a Dish or Direct but I have yet to figure out which one... as lyngsat doesn't list any of the FTA channels I have located...

Yea that is what I thought...

I checked Skyvisions chart and it shows the Shoppers Drug Mart on Anik 2 at 111 that sometimes shows FTA. That channel I am getting so now I am guessing I am on Anik 2. I seriously thought it was Nimq today. My compass must be way off or I just can't see! I should have worn my glasses... :) I should have taken more time to check my readings as well. I was in a hurry the wife had a honey dooooooo list a mile long.

You can use any 2 x 2, 2 x 4, 3 x 4, etc. multiswitch on these LNBs with separate horizontal and vertical outputs, and they will function as any dual-output LNB would.

How does it do on AMC1?

How well does it do on AMC 1 Gary? I was thinking to try for AMC 15 or AMC 1 but would really like to try for AMC 4 but with all the changes I am not wasiting my time for AMC 4.

I wonder also what are the strongest transponders to try for on either 15 or AMC 1??

It does great on AMC 1. The Pentagon Channel comes in at 92% When adjusting the skew you need to remember that it is off on that Satellite. AMC-4 has 2 Channels that will remain on there that are worth getting and Glorystar said there will be more added after the new Satellite is in position.

I have 4 Primestar dishes. 2 have not yet been setup and 2 are in operation with original LNB's and to me the performance is as good a a 36 in dish.

How well does it do on AMC 1 Gary? I was thinking to try for AMC 15 or AMC 1 but would really like to try for AMC 4 but with all the changes I am not wasiting my time for AMC 4.

I wonder also what are the strongest transponders to try for on either 15 or AMC 1??

Thanks

I only have the 2 but every since I gained them I have been offered several. I ran an add in a local blog and when I didn't have any that was a great idea. Ha! Once I got 2 I still get emails asking for me to come get the things!

Well I might give AMC 1 a shot today if the rains holds off and I get to feeling some better. I could use the other one on AMC 15 maybe in the future!

By the way thanks for the help this has been a fun topic! Nothing like taking something old and putting it back into service!

I would pick up all the Primestar dishes I could. Especially if they are free. I actually have 5 Primestar dishes LOL I forgot about one of them when I said I had 4.

Here is 2 of my Primestar dishes in operation

Attachments

• Photo006a.jpg
    Photo006a.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 125
  • SANY0083.jpg
    SANY0083.jpg
    578.1 KB · Views: 142
  • SANY0082.jpg
    SANY0082.jpg
    453.1 KB · Views: 132
The primestar dishes are real nice to use. I picked up 3 more last weekend to accompany the 2 I already have :)

The LNB's work real well and are easy to skew. Just unscrew those 4 little screws behind the feedhorn and twist :)

Yes they are

Yea I had my Primestars a few years and at one time had one up. I never installed the other one because of health issues. I took it down several years ago and replaced it with a PC Direct Dish I think it was. I fashioned a mount and replaced the LNB with an Invacom LNB. I was very surprised at how well that combo worked for me. I had intended to motorize that dish but never got around to it because I got sick.

As for the Primestar I am thinking I would like to Set the one I am playing with now on AMC 1 or something else. I just have to check what the strongest transponder is for that and do some research...

AMC1 would be Pentagon Channel
12100 V 20000

then tweak off that for the NBC news feeds. Remember the crazy skew on AMC1 ;)

Thank You Iceburg

Thank you Ice for that information as I wasn't aware of any skew issues with AMC 1. Thanks for the TP information as well that will give me something to try Tuesday if the Weather allows. Cold here today and rainy and I haven't felt the best so I have neglected my hobby as for working. However I have enjoyed the watching!

The best thing to do is go to thelist up top and put in your zip or city/state. Qwert1515 (who runs thelist) put in the correct skew for AMC1 KU so it shows properly (weird...but properly)

see mine below

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 93
I would pick up all the Primestar dishes I could. Especially if they are free. I actually have 5 Primestar dishes LOL I forgot about one of them when I said I had 4.

Here is 2 of my Primestar dishes in operation

What size oval is that, 40x48?

I like the list

Thanks Ice for the information concerning the skew. I tried Saturday using the list and zip code to set up on another sat. My readings was off by about 2 to 3 degrees or more. Like I said I should've worn my glasses!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)