Primestar lnb vs. Invacom

Status
Please reply by conversation.

swampman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 22, 2006
South Louisiana
OK guys, looking for some input. My 1.0 meter Primestar(round) has the original lnb(0.7 db noise I think.) I'm curious as to how much of a differnce I will see if I switch to the Invacom(0.3 db). I'm currently pulling in about 16 "constant on" English channels along with 2-3 intermittant English channels on G10R with my setup. I know this sounds a bit picky, but I'm curious if anyone else out there is having better luck using a similar 1.0 meter with the Invacom.

Also, if I choose to get the Invacom, is it better to get just the lnb... or the lnb with the integrated feedhorn thus making a complete changeout?

And lastly, what brings in better signal improvement, an upgrade of the lnb, or an upgrade to say... a 1.2 meter dish? I know I'm throwig alot out there but Any input is appreciated. :) Thanks.

Last edited:
As an old engine builder, i believe "there is no replacement for displacement", ie: you wont be able to beat getting a larger dish. While a lower noise figure LNB might help those signals, it is not going to give you as much improvement as a larger dish will.

If you do decide to get the Invacom LNB, I would get the lnb that will match up to the Primestar feedhorn. That feedhorn is optimized for that dish for maximum signal gathering.

IMO swapping to the Invacom (GOLD SPONSOR here) will really help with those weaker signals and feeds! It did for me :)

I've read that the stability on those Primestar LNB's is very good. You have to take into account the stability also when choosing. This is like trying to say one computer is better than another just because the processor runs at a faster clock speed. There are other factors involved.

Is there something you aren't receiving that you think a newer LNBF would help? If I was in that position, I would go with the 1.2 meter so you can experiment a little with C band. That will add more channels than a new Ku LNBF would.

Dr Hydro. He has a 1 meter, not the oval like you and I have. It is true that the feedhorn on the ovals match up to the dish for better performance.

Last edited:
Das Hammer said:
Is there something you aren't receiving that you think a newer LNBF would help? If I was in that position, I would go with the 1.2 meter so you can experiment a little with C band. That will add more channels than a new Ku LNBF would.

Dr Hydro. He has a 1 meter, not the oval like you and I have. It is true that the feedhorn on the ovals match up to the dish for better performance.

Actually the dish I have isn't the oval, it's the round (40"x 44")
And no there isnt really anything(that I know of) that I'm not receiving, its just that I hear certain lnbs can make a difference in pulling in signals. But its becoming obvious dish size will make more of an impact on pulling in "that weak signal" than would a new lnb. Just wish I could get my hands on one of those old 1.2 meter primestars. Unfortunately none seem available in my area. :(

Interesting what you say about c-band. I thought it required at least a 6' dish for that(as well as a C/KU type lnb which I think the Invacom is).

Great...more to think about! :D

In that case the feedhorn probably wont make as much difference. Thanks for pointing that out to me.

Swampman, if you cant find a 1.2 meter go ahead and grab the invacom. It should help with weaker signals now, and can always be transferred to your 1.2 meter when you find one.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts