PS3 Blu-ray question

smokey982

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 7, 2005
Cleveland, TN (Chattanooga Market)
It would only make sense to me that if you were going to buy a Blu-ray player, then why not just buy a PS3 for the same price and also have a gaming system. But I wasn't sure if the PS3 would up-convert regular DVD's. Can someone tell me please? Thanks.

It does upconvert standard DVDs (some say that it runs hotter when doing this), but I really don't see any difference on my 80GB

It does up-convert regular DVD's. There are some reports that it is not the best at up-converting though. I personally have not tried to up-convert with it as I also have a HD-DVD player that does a very nice job at it.

I really haven't seen the reports saying that it doesn't do a good job of upconverting (not that I don't believe you), but to me it looks great.

That is why I made sure to let the OP know that I have not tried to use the PS3 for up-converting yet. Picture quality opinions very drastically from one person to the another.

I have a 80 GB PS3 and a A2 HD-DVD player. I have play the same DVD's on both to compare the upconverinting and I can see no difference. They are both connected with HDMI.

Here is what the specs say is supported.
DVD-Video: DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW

Well luckily even if it doesn't support my DL DVD-R movies I still have 2 other players that will do it. I hope they start pumping out some more Blu Ray movies. Probably my first purchase will be Blade Runner. I have the DVD version so it will be interesting to see how upconverted DVD compares to Blu Ray (although unless something changes soon it'll be in 720p or 1080i.

I really haven't seen the reports saying that it doesn't do a good job of upconverting (not that I don't believe you), but to me it looks great.

I decided to give the PS3 up-conversion a try today and I must say that it was pretty good. Not quite sure that is was as good as the Toshiba A2 but much better than a standard DVD. It was good enough for me to think about purchasing a second unit for the living room. I have been without a DVD player in that room for quite some time.

Make sure to get the BD remote, it makes the BD experience on the PS3 that much better. It's around 29.99 but I got mine at CC for 19.99 when I purchased my PS3.

Gears of War 2 Official Preview!

EA: turns hostle

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)