PS3 losing massive amounts of cash!!!!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

vurbano

On Double Secret Probation
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 1, 2004
Newport News, VA
Sony lost over 844 mill in one quarter in their game division due to the PS3.

Sony profits up, but PS3 losses double - Engadget

Sony reported its second quarter earnings today, and while the company's overall profits were up, at ¥90.5B ($790M), the Playstation division's losses for the quarter came in at ¥96.7B ($844M), double those of a year ago. Sony says that once it's done accounting for all the recent PS3 inventory changes, it hopes the Playstation division will break even -- potentially in the second half of the fiscal year. Of course, since the PS3 is sold at a loss, the numbers might indicate that Sony's selling more PS3s than ever, but something tells us that's not exactly the plan.

And they cut the prices another 100 bucks per unit?

Can you say losses over 1 billion dollars this quarter?

Their biggest problem is that it is a b**** to program for it. Hence they have driven away software developers. My cousin is the Program Manager at LucasArts. I hear horror stories.

S~

If I can get one for $299 then sold. Brand New Unopend Box.My Nephew just paid $499 for one . Its sweet . but I can't justify spending $500
Thats easy. the 40 gig is 399 at sonystyle.com, sign up for their credit card and they will process 100 dollar credit to your first statement. That is the way I bought the 80 gig for 399 and paid the card off electronically before any interest was accumulated.

Thats easy. the 40 gig is 399 at sonystyle.com, sign up for their credit card and they will process 100 dollar credit to your first statement. That is the way I bought the 80 gig for 399 and paid the card off electronically before any interest was accumulated.
I'll check it out! Thanks.

Its a true statement, if you bring up the adding of the HD-DVD to your 360 to compare it to the PS3s gaming/movie combo, then the relative price IS a factor...

I have had a 360, and I decided to go to the PS3 for system stability and built in Blu-Ray, Do i regret it? Nope. I will get an HD-DVD player in the next few months and have the best of both worlds...

Sony has been trimming the gaming side of their business. Perhaps they can break even in the second half of their fiscal year. But they are going to have to sell boatloads of PS3's , games and BluRay movies to do it. Sony needs a really big XMAS this year to just get to even.

Of course I am not sure if anyone has made this connection -- but to break even in the second half means you must be making money somewhere in the division? It also means you must of plugged the hole that was leaking money? There is just too much shifting of corporate papers and accounting to really know the real numbers. But to be $844 mil short on the quarter and then say that you hope to break even by the end of your fiscal year means you must of found the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. Or else you have started making money on something?

Sony has been trimming the gaming side of their business. Perhaps they can break even in the second half of their fiscal year. But they are going to have to sell boatloads of PS3's , games and BluRay movies to do it. Sony needs a really big XMAS this year to just get to even.

Of course I am not sure if anyone has made this connection -- but to break even in the second half means you must be making money somewhere in the division? It also means you must of plugged the hole that was leaking money? There is just too much shifting of corporate papers and accounting to really know the real numbers. But to be $844 mil short on the quarter and then say that you hope to break even by the end of your fiscal year means you must of found the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. Or else you have started making money on something?
Sony lost 844 mil on the pS3 last quarter and they have just dropped prices 100 bucks on all the models. There is no way they are going to do anything but lose even more money this quarter. And the more PS3's they sell the more money they will lose. Thats one reason I bought one :D

Attachments

• Dragons Lair.jpg
    Dragons Lair.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 213
But to be $844 mil short on the quarter and then say that you hope to break even by the end of your fiscal year means you must of found the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. Or else you have started making money on something?
I thought they had hoped to be making money in fiscal year ending March 09?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)