PS3 losing massive amounts of cash!!!!

Lets put this in idiot terms for me . If I buy the $399 model with 40 GB,Does it have a BLU-RAY player and can I play my old PS-2 games. I don't give a damn about anything else . I 'm not going on line with it or using it for my home office. I was told the 2 model are the same except for memery.I can't see sony putting out a PS3 for $400 that won't play ps2 games.

Lets put this in idiot terms for me . If I buy the $399 model with 40 GB,Does it have a BLU-RAY player and can I play my old PS-2 games. I don't give a damn about anything else . I 'm not going on line with it or using it for my home office. I was told the 2 model are the same except for memery.I can't see sony putting out a PS3 for $400 that won't play ps2 games.

40GB is not backwards compatible with PS2 from what I've heard. One of the cost cutting measures was to remove that chip. I don't have one so I'm not positive.

S~

if you want to play your old ps2 games you need the 60 or 80 gig, 60 has better backward capability. the 40 gig has zero, so you can not play any ps2 games with the 40 gig

Real plain for ya -- yes it is a BluRay player with all the functions of every PS3. Probably will run cooler and make less noise the the other PS3s.

No you will not ever be able to play PS2 games on the 40GB. There were three chips needed to do PS2 compatiblity (and that does not always include every feature of the game) and that was on the 20gb and 60gb.

On the 80gb they removed the Emotion chip and started doing the chip's work in emulation on the Cell with the other two PS2 chips still on the board. This resulted in only being able to play about 80% of the PS2 catalog. Most of the lastests release you would have no problem with.

On the 40GB all those chips are gone. Now that there are some decent games coming out for the PS3 Sony has decided to drop those chips in favor of a less expensive (still $399) product. Keep your PS2 and play those games on it and buy the 40gb and enjoy the PS3 for what it is. A great BD player and a great video console. The AAA games are just now rolling out so now is a good time to buy one. In addition the 40gb runs on about 30% less wattage about 135 to 200 -- that alone will probably allow it to run considerably quiter. And you can always put in a bigger harddrive for peanuts!

NO really?:rolleyes:

Read the posts between 'tell me the difference between 80gb and 40gb' and your completely unnecessary post and show me where this was covered. Your post wasn't explicit about this point, so I made it clear.

You're the first person to ever make me want to use the ignore feature on a BB, and I'm Pro-HDDVD even so generally on the same side of the arguments you make... your post was completely uncalled for.

Real plain for ya -- yes it is a BluRay player with all the functions of every PS3. Probably will run cooler and make less noise the the other PS3s.

No you will not ever be able to play PS2 games on the 40GB. There were three chips needed to do PS2 compatiblity (and that does not always include every feature of the game) and that was on the 20gb and 60gb.

On the 80gb they removed the Emotion chip and started doing the chip's work in emulation on the Cell with the other two PS2 chips still on the board. This resulted in only being able to play about 80% of the PS2 catalog. Most of the lastests release you would have no problem with.

On the 40GB all those chips are gone. Now that there are some decent games coming out for the PS3 Sony has decided to drop those chips in favor of a less expensive (still $399) product. Keep your PS2 and play those games on it and buy the 40gb and enjoy the PS3 for what it is. A great BD player and a great video console. The AAA games are just now rolling out so now is a good time to buy one. In addition the 40gb runs on about 30% less wattage about 135 to 200 -- that alone will probably allow it to run considerably quiter. And you can always put in a bigger harddrive for peanuts!
Thank you ! I've decided to buy the 40GB PS3 and also get the newer slim silver PS2 for $129 . I can get both or those for about the same price as one 80GB PS3. Except now I can get 2 dvd players out of the deal.

Its up to you, you get a BD player with the PS3, which you save a lot of money...
If you are getting the PS3, some titles that are a must is RFoM,Motorstorm,Warhawk,Heavenly Sword.
Plus there are tons of downloadable content on the PS3 Network, you should try Gran Turismo concept, personally I love it.

Read the posts between 'tell me the difference between 80gb and 40gb' and your completely unnecessary post and show me where this was covered. Your post wasn't explicit about this point, so I made it clear.

You're the first person to ever make me want to use the ignore feature on a BB, and I'm Pro-HDDVD even so generally on the same side of the arguments you make... your post was completely uncalled for.
My post said that the 80 gig would play most PS2 games not ALL. Learn to read.:rolleyes:

Its up to you, you get a BD player with the PS3, which you save a lot of money...
If you are getting the PS3, some titles that are a must is RFoM,Motorstorm,Warhawk,Heavenly Sword.
Plus there are tons of downloadable content on the PS3 Network, you should try Gran Turismo concept, personally I love it.
Well an 80GB is $499, and a 40GB is $399+$129 for a PS2= $528. I'd say this is a better deal.Since I'll be able to play all my PS2 games and have a Blu-Ray and DVD. So for $29 more I can have A silver PS2 and PS3 with a blu ray. Right? So what would be the big savings on buying an 80 GB PS3? I guess if you think $29 is a lot of money.

My post said that the 80 gig would play most PS2 games not ALL. Learn to read.:rolleyes:

And you ignored addressing the BC capabilities of the 40gb, only implied it. Since BC is a stated 'core feature' of the Playstation brand, it is the biggest feature omitted from the 40gb.

Learn to explain better, and then when you have that covered, learn not to be a douche.

The best deals right now for a PS3 and likely until Holiday next year, will probably be from Craigslist people unloading the hardware BC 60gb version: las vegas craigslist > for sale / wanted: search for "60gb PS3"

Well I think with the 80gb PS3 you can play PS2 games on it no? I thought the only version you couldn't play PS2 games on was the 40gb.
But I guess you did good by buying a 40GB PS3 and a PS2 because PS2 games looks much better on a PS2!
Enjoy your two new consoles! And don't forget to pickup the DualShock 3 controller when it comes out, should be tons of fun!
Anyone know the price on the DualShock 3 controllers yet?

Well I think with the 80gb PS3 you can play PS2 games on it no? I thought the only version you couldn't play PS2 games on was the 40gb.
But I guess you did good by buying a 40GB PS3 and a PS2 because PS2 games looks much better on a PS2!
Enjoy your two new consoles! And don't forget to pickup the DualShock 3 controller when it comes out, should be tons of fun!
Anyone know the price on the DualShock 3 controllers yet?

60gb (and the SKUs before it) - Hardware based backward compatibility (most PS2 games few to no issues playing)

80gb - Software based emulation, no emotion chip, but other components still part of the chipset dedicated to the emulation

40gb - No backwards compatibility, as they would need to do the Xbox -> Xbox 360 route and write the compatibility on a game-by-game basis. Sony said it wasn't worth the trouble to do this.

Here is a site that Sony made to show people what titles would or would not have issues with the 80gb version of backward compatability... which is the most they ever had in Europe: PLAYSTATION®3

Dual Shock 3 is due out in Japan today i think? Not coming to the states until Spring 08.

There are many popular games, like God of War, that 'Should play on PLAYSTATION®3 with noticeable issues' so don't make any assumptions on what should or should not work ok.

Since BC is a stated 'core feature' of the Playstation brand........
Not any more it aint and my post stated that the 80 gig was BC with most games. Not the 40 gig. Sorry I didnt write the post for the mentally impaired.

Not any more it aint and my post stated that the 80 gig was BC with most games. Not the 40 gig. Sorry I didnt write the post for the mentally impaired.

Yup, you did. It will play most games... many with noticeable issues, which is why I added the link above. The 60gb, now THAT is 'BC with most games'.

My statement that BC is a core feature was being facetious, since that is a Sony quote about the Playstation 3 prior to launch. Backing off of that stance AND then saying it didn't really save them money, just that they will have '65 titles to choose from for the holidays' is a slap in the face for all potential customers, especially those with a PS2... which is damn near all of them.

Sorry, I didn't write the post clear enough for the 'omg im on both sides, nobody else is ever right so I have to correct them' morons.

Yup, you did. It will play most games... many with noticeable issues, which is why I added the link above. The 60gb, now THAT is 'BC with most games'.

My statement that BC is a core feature was being facetious, since that is a Sony quote about the Playstation 3 prior to launch. Backing off of that stance AND then saying it didn't really save them money, just that they will have '65 titles to choose from for the holidays' is a slap in the face for all potential customers, especially those with a PS2... which is damn near all of them.

Sorry, I didn't write the post clear enough for the 'omg im on both sides, nobody else is ever right so I have to correct them' morons.
I never implied that the 40 Gig was BC. ANy reasonable person would assume that it was not from my post.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)