PS3 losing massive amounts of cash!!!!

Looks like Sony lied about the new chip design.

Nobody has got to the 65nm chipsets yet. I wonder why. I was sure the new XBOX360's this fall would have them. I am not even sure we will see them by spring in either console. And can someone here post where Sony released a statement that the new 40GB PS3 was going to have the 65nm chipsets?

I know they announced a new board that reduced production costs along with removing the 3 chips that allowed the PS3 to be backwards compatible with the PS2. But I do not remember Sony saying that the 40GB would use 65nm technology.

Nobody has got to the 65nm chipsets yet. I wonder why. I was sure the new XBOX360's this fall would have them. I am not even sure we will see them by spring in either console. And can someone here post where Sony released a statement that the new 40GB PS3 was going to have the 65nm chipsets?

I know they announced a new board that reduced production costs along with removing the 3 chips that allowed the PS3 to be backwards compatible with the PS2. But I do not remember Sony saying that the 40GB would use 65nm technology.
Im sorry it very well could have been your bluray cohorts.

Nobody has got to the 65nm chipsets yet. I wonder why. I was sure the new XBOX360's this fall would have them.

The Halo 3 bundles sport the 65nm chips, they started production 2 quarters ago, and they are now focusing on 65nm GPUs... followed by 45nm CPUs in late 08/early 09 (ETA of 18 months after prod of 65nm starts).

Google searches will find some sources, only at my desk a moment.

OH MY GOSH DIOGEN -- I LIED!! I stated that the cost of the blue laser had been reduced 90% and it was only 80%!!!!

Sony Global - Press Release - STRENGTHENING BLUE-VIOLET DIODE PRODUCTION CAPACITY AND BUSINESS

I did the math for you - current yen is 110 to $1. Laser cost at startup 4500 yen is $40.90 Current price as of July 07 on the laser is 900 yen which is $8.18!!!

In addition -- the new 40GB motherboard with the 65nm Cell chip and no PS2 chips. This is a new design and in addition also has a smaller fan then the 60gb and 80gb PS3s. In pictures just for you Diogen!

PS3 motherboard pictures (including new 40GB model) - NeoGAF

One last site for cost comparisons Diogen -- this one just for YOU:

X-bit labs - Sony’s Low-Cost PlayStation 3 Features Lower Cost Components Too.

Man, don't flog me for pushing that 10%!! This is the last time I repost cost information on the PS3 for you Diogen. Stop trolling -- buy a PS3 or use Google to find this information for yourself.

Last edited:
OH MY GOSH DIOGEN -- I LIED!!
OH MY GOSH JOE -- I'M SORRY. HOW COULD I POSSIBLY THINK YOU CAN LIE!!!

NOT!

I don't give a f*ck what Sony says it costs.
Here is iSupply layout what the PS3 cost was when launched
Sony taking big hit on each PS3 sold; Xbox 360 in the black

Let assume Blu drive, Hard drive, Cell cost NOTHING today. The cost would be

840 - 125 - 89 - 59 = 567

In case you can't see the number, I'll spell it for you: five hundred and sixty seven dollars. Not three hundred ninety nine. Got it?

And if they deliver on their promise and sell 4.5 million in the remainder of the year they will lose another 3/4 of a billion bucks.

'Nuf said.

Diogen.

So what is the difference between the 2 models?
Just as an FYI you might want to check out the failure rates on the XBOX 360. I am on my 5th since the launch. I have both. The PS3 is built a lot better IMHO. The XBOX 360 has great games, and the XBOX Live is the best. It’s their hardware that sucks. So get the extended warranty if you buy it.

Cool so JoeSP lied again. I knew it was someone blue.

I stated that the Cell chip was 65nm not the RSX which is still 90nm according to Kaz. I even posted a site with pictures for those of you who have a hard time reading words and believeing.

You know what -- most HD-DVD fans like Diogen would not believe anything about BD if it smack them in the face. To them they only see what they want to see. Forget that Sony has reduced the costs of manufacturing blue lasers 80% and production cost on their board 33%. I guess to Diogen everyone else can reduce manufacturing cost during the production life of a product but Sony. I guess you didn't get a degree (if you have one at all) in business did you?

It seems that the HD-DVD crowd is shouting as loud as it can to misinform, mislead and discourage anyone who likes and favors BluRay.

You know who else yells as loud as they can? A drowning man. Think about it!

Last edited:
I stated that the Cell chip was 65nm not the RSX which is still 90nm according to Kaz. I even posted a site with pictures for those of you who have a hard time reading words and believeing.

Diogen, you are the biggest BD Trollhead I have ever read. Almost every major player in the BD market has meantioned the encreased supply, developement of new tech and the greatly reduced cost of the BD lasers. Never said anything about the cost of the XBOX360! And still you FLAP YOUR GUMS!!

Those numbers you are using are for the PS3 80gb. Okay, I am going to get into trouble here but it has to be said.

Diogen -- you sir I believe are an idiot!
I reported it lets see what happens.;)

Just as an FYI you might want to check out the failure rates on the XBOX 360. I am on my 5th since the launch. I have both. The PS3 is built a lot better IMHO. The XBOX 360 has great games, and the XBOX Live is the best. It’s their hardware that sucks. So get the extended warranty if you buy it.
I'm sorry I should have been more clear. I mean the 2 PS3 models . Why is one $100 more then the other?

I'm sorry I should have been more clear. I mean the 2 PS3 models . Why is one $100 more then the other?
They 80 gig has twice the HD size of the 40 gig and the 80 gig has chips inside that make it compatible with most PS2 games. the 40 gig doesnt have all of the card readers in it either, the 80 gig has USB 2.0 X 4, Memory Stick/SD/CompactFlash Slots vs 2 USB ports and no other slots for the 40 gig model

Last edited:
They 80 gig has twice the HD size of the 40 gig and the 80 gig has chips inside that make it compatible with most PS2 games. I think the 40 gig doesnt have all of the card readers in it either but Im not sure.

also the 40gig has 2usb ports and the 80 gig has 4usb ports