PS3's Does ANYBODY still want one?

I wish so many others would get this point. Competition within the game systems is good for everybody.
Exactly, MS and Sony force each other to one-up each other and as consumers we win. Nintendo innovates like no other out there IMO and I bet Sony and MS are already thinking of ways to incorporate the Wii gameplay in the new systems they have on the drawing boards.

Exactly, MS and Sony force each other to one-up each other and as consumers we win. Nintendo innovates like no other out there IMO and I bet Sony and MS are already thinking of ways to incorporate the Wii gameplay in the new systems they have on the drawing boards.

Wii is old news. I'm thinking full body suit with motion sensors. I want to actually be in the game next time around.

Sorry HPman to burst your bubble, there are plenty of people around. Most students do not leave for breaks and the homers come back to the parents for a while. With an year round pop of about a 1/4 mil, and a 9 month influx of students, there are plenty of people here to buy up to oh so coveted PS3's. But yet, today even all 12 are still at target (do I see dust on them?) and 3 still at gamestop (all 3 were returned). :)

Don't take my post as being anti-ps3. I am anti-sony everything cause of how they treated me long ago. But that has nothing to do with the FACTS I am reporting. I am just flat out reporting what I am seeing in my area, not saying it's a nationwide epidemic. Is the PS3 a nice system? sure, I think so. If I wasn't screwed by sony years ago, I would probably buy one just for blu-ray, but I vowed to never guy anything sony again and have kept my word. I think the PS3 will compete well with the 360 (good for everyone) and the Wii is gonna find it's niche like nintendo always seems to do and make boatloads for them.

Why do you take everything so personal about the PS3 when people point out things that you don't like to hear?

Because I am so used to so many people straight bashing, which is complete BS. It's good to see that you aren't, but most people do. I don't want people to see these posts with no opposition and then think that the PS3 isn't selling or sucks. Because it does not! It's not so much personal, but moreso I just want a fair balance, because there are way more sony bashers out there than anyone.

I wish so many others would get this point. Competition within the game systems is good for everybody.

Absolutely. I love competition. I own both, and will own a Wii if it doesn't turn out to be a fad, which i am 95% sure that it will.

Just look at Blockbuster and Netflix. Blockbuster would never be doing rent online, return to store, and get a movie immediately w/o Netflix.

Hope you didn't catch anything from those UGA girls...there's been an epidemic of VD's going around here in Athens (home of UGA)! Don't have any wierd lesions appearing or itching going on, do you???

We've never owned more than one current gen system before, until now. I can attest that, like us, most families with kids will probably get the Wii and HD enthusiasts/gamers family members will get either the PS3 or X360 in addition to that Wii.

Funny thing is, we have yet to buy a game for the PS3, but have two for the Wii. I would come close to buying RFoM (getting tired of FPS though), but nothing else interests me out there yet. Of course, I'm the only one playing the purchased Wii games (Excite Truck and Rayman)...my daughters keep playing Wii Sports.

BTW HPman, just joking!

Haha. Appreciate the warning. Atlanta is great, just stay away from the Waffle House in Buckhead, We stayed at the Westin, who doesn't card (all of us are 20), which was great. Saw some crazy stuff at that Waffle House at 4AM, and the damn taxi was 15 dollars for half a mile.

Absolutely. I love competition. I own both, and will own a Wii if it doesn't turn out to be a fad, which i am 95% sure that it will.

Just look at Blockbuster and Netflix. Blockbuster would never be doing rent online, return to store, and get a movie immediately w/o Netflix.

I don't know about netflix but Blockbuster needs to get more HD dvd and Blu ray tittles. Also speed up that shipping takes to long!

The new release BluRays ad Blockbuster Online don't usually show up until at least a weak after they are released, and then to top that off I put them in my Q and then it says coming soon or long wait, I am not too happy with BB online onnly for that reason.

I picked up a 60gig right before Christmas when I happened to see one at Target.
The problem with the PS3 is there are no "must have" games yet, and especially NO games for the younger kids.
My kids love the WII we got for them, because there are tons of kids games for it. My wife told me to get the PS3 if I happened across one (for when FFXIII comes out), but was not to pay more than retail.
We picked up some bluray movies the other day and are impressed with a couple, so it makes the purchase somewhat worthwhile, but not for games though (of which we have none so far, well except PS2 ones).

side note: On the way back from Jackson, Georgia (and visiting my folks), we stayed overnight in Christiansburg the night of Dec 30. The next morning I was so tempted to have my 4 yr. son walk down the hotel hallway yelling out "how 'bout them dawgs!!!" :)

Last edited:
Now that supply is catching up with demand, we'll see how the PS3 does.

I've only talked to one person who had one, a 16 year old boy scout at my son's troop, and he took it back to get a XBox360 when it took forever to load some games he had rented (paraphrasing his statement). He wound up bringing the 360 to the Christmas party at the firehouse where the meetings are, and the boys were playing Gears of War and Burnout Revenge for a good chunk of the night...

Now that supply is catching up with demand, we'll see how the PS3 does.

I've only talked to one person who had one, a 16 year old boy scout at my son's troop, and he took it back to get a XBox360 when it took forever to load some games he had rented (paraphrasing his statement). He wound up bringing the 360 to the Christmas party at the firehouse where the meetings are, and the boys were playing Gears of War and Burnout Revenge for a good chunk of the night...

u love talking about those returns. Also, I htought a friend of yours took it back when he said it took too long to load. Just so you know for the 50th time, it takes the same time as any console with disk based media that i have ever played, PS3, XBOX, 360, all of them.

I have had no issues with the "loading" of my PS3 games. Let's face it boys, all 3 systems bring some great stuff to the table and all probably have a couple of issues. Only natural for those that bought one or the other will tend to lean towards the one that they purchased. I am a happy camper with my Wii and PS3, have many friends just as happy with their 360s. No battles on the user fronts, just the battles between the console makers adn half the things I read are obviously slanted depending on the camp that the writer is in.

I had the choice for Xmas between the PS3 and the 360, well my game tag says it all... The 360 is a great system, although I had to return the first one after only two days, it was hanging and not loading my saved games. So far the new one is working great....

I had the choice for Xmas between the PS3 and the 360, well my game tag says it all... The 360 is a great system, although I had to return the first one after only two days, it was hanging and not loading my saved games. So far the new one is working great....

Hi five! My own thinking is that 360 is going to be inherently unreliable. MS bumping the warranty was good but suspicious. Everyone I knew with a PS2 needed a replacement. Sometimes I think they sold 130 million consoles to 65 million people.

I noticed today at target that all 12 systems were still on the shelf for sale and I also notice that the demo machine they had setup is no longer there.

I asked the associate what was up and he said "Kept locking up when people played the game", which made me look and the enclosue while not tight was not necessarily open either. Has the PS3 users reported any heat issues similar to the 360 problems? I have seen internal pics and heat dissaption was an obvious priority for Sony.

I have yet to actually touch a PS3 as no one I know has one, those of you that have one, are they hot?

u love talking about those returns. Also, I htought a friend of yours took it back when he said it took too long to load. Just so you know for the 50th time, it takes the same time as any console with disk based media that i have ever played, PS3, XBOX, 360, all of them.

Sorry, I've only talked to two people who got one directly. One was an EBGames employee who got one, wasn't blown away, and then put it on EBay shortly after launch after the load times for games were longer than he expected (his words not mine). Ditto for the boy scout, who simply returned it to the store and got the 360.

And in the interest of fairness, this will be the last I speak of this. I'm not TRYING to raise your blood pressure, but they are the only two direct conversations (non internet chat board related), that I've had with people who COULD get their hands on one.

I'm glad the EBay hysteria seems to be over now. Now we'll see how big demand for the PS3 truly is.... One way or the other, things should start getting clearer, although I did chuckle when TIME ridiculed them for being "beaten" by something called a "Wii".

Preliminary sales figures for November and December:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=85679

360 - 2 Million
Wii - 1.8 Million
PS3 - 750,000

In fairness, the 360 had an extra 2.25 weeks to sell their product BUT they didn't have any EBay profiteers chasing them either....

OK, bear with this non-gamer here. What is the media the games come on? Cartridge, DVD, BD, something else? Is it expected that they will one day put games on BD for this machine, or is the BD part always intended for movies only?

OK, bear with this non-gamer here. What is the media the games come on? Cartridge, DVD, BD, something else? Is it expected that they will one day put games on BD for this machine, or is the BD part always intended for movies only?

It's all on BD discs. 360 games are on DVD with no games ever intended for the HD-DVD add on. It will be quite a while before any games come out that stretch the 9gb DVD size barrier.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)