Putting 2 lnbs on one dish questions...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mastermesh

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 18, 2006
When putting 2 lnbs on one dish, do you need to change angle that the second lnb is aimed at the dish or just try to get the lnb head as close to the main one as possible? I'm currently fiddling around trying to put a Vision ZKF-J21N universal next to a Invacom QPH-031 on a winegard dish with an sg2100. I'm really only putting the universal there since I'm interested in seeing stuff on Pas 9. I originally bought the universal before I realized that the QPH existed. I love the QPH, but am always interested in brining "just a few more channels in" like everyone else... I've seen lots of 18" dishes set up with two lnbs next to one another so I'm fairly sure this set up will work. The universal right now is attached next to the QPH with some wire ties and some electrical tape. The universal is more or less sitting exactly parallel to the qph, with the base of the universal near an edge on the side of the qph... does it need to be there, or further out aiming more towards center of dish? I'm suspecting that once I get this all lined up right, the universal should track pas 9 ok, but may be a few degrees off from the satellites true position. That's ok, so long as I can get a signal. Will this set up give a good signal, or do I need to do something else? I've got a stick under the qph, taped to the lnb arm and upper part of where the lnb is attached so that the qph lnbs are held at the right angle. qph is pretty big and has a tendency to sort of go off on a weird angle, tilting due to gravity if I don't put some sort of prop up under it... I had a wad of tape under it before I put the universal on and that did ok, but now I can't get the wad up that far, so am just opting to go with this stick sort of setup as an extra brace below the lnb. Anyone else ever try doing this sort of thing with these two types of lnbs?

I was actually thinking about this today myself. I would like to stick a C/KU Band LNB just for C Band, and use a seperate (better) KU band LNB for the KU side.

Someone should make a holder like that for 1.2 meter dishes. :)

I have a KU Band LNB and a DBS with a hoseclamp. I always make sure the eyes line up with each other then it should follow the arc just fine :)

Two fortec lnbs on a dishnet superdish, works great
IA5 and AMC 4

You might try moving the offset LNBF around a bit by hand until you find the "sweet spot"... then note its position. You might have to brace it with a wedge of wood. I think Iafire had to do that with his setups.

I got lucky with my IA5/AMC4. My lnbs are placed flush next to each other and I have 86% on AMC4 (KUIL). No fuss no muss! But, with G10/IA7, it took a bit of moving the lnb around to get it just right.

Attachments

• primeclose.jpg
    primeclose.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 233
  • primestar1.jpg
    primestar1.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 201
I fiddled, and fiddled, and played around some more and had no luck... got to investigating it from the lnbs point of view a little, and it looks like a tree's blocking Pas 9... urgh.. Oh well. On a good note, I did get the rest of the arc tracking a lot better than it ever has been, and have solved my plumb problem. The pole seems to slip from plumb over a few months time. I fixed the problem by attaching two screws to the roof, one further up the slope of the roof and one to the side of the pole. I took a lot of wire and started using the extra screws as a sort of extra little foot for the pole that pulls it against gravity. I also finally got around to putting the extra tv that I put up on the roof as my signal meter in the basement and ran an extra coax from a splitter off of the reciever so now I can watch tv downstairs in the painting studio. A few months ago I put some stereo down there coming off of the dolby box thingy... so now I can see pretty much everything down there. Sucks that I don't have a second box there so I can't flip channels from there, but that's ok. I will probably just tune in some music video station, Create, or the 6in1 channel with cnn and head off to painting land using the tv and stereo as background noise... What's nice is now that this is all set up, I should be able to see local tv down there too in case we ever get in to a big tornado time and have to go to the basement.

EDIT: YeeHA! Can't get Pas9 but I can get Hispasat now.... Usals would just get me over to 33 west... from there I had about 6 east clicks on the diseqc. Amazing what you can find when you actually hit the arc proper!!! This is the BEST I've ever tracked the arc. Even the weak tps on g10 are coming in at near 60! :)

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)