Question about channel issue.

Status
Please reply by conversation.
by the way here is the chart that I gathered that info from :)

Attachments

• TPN_MAP_Domestic_110615.xls
    886.5 KB · Views: 264
I was looking at that chart the other day. I noticed there are a lot of sport channels in that mux. I bet Direct cranked the VBR up on those and there is nothing left for the others, and Nick runs into bit starving. Thats what it looks like to me. Wish I had the tools to read the stream and prove that point.

11 channels in the mux...thats about normal

Nick & Cartoon are in the transponder too so they still give enough bandwdith to them too...I see a couple other transponders with more channels on it (13 in some cases)

All I can do is monitor it and hope when it really starts to act up (which it does) I can get Direct on the phone and they see it too. Otherwise maybe a receiver swap is in order although I just went down that road a few months back and it was a pain more than anything. I really don't think it is on my end. I checked my LNBF connections and redid them too. Everything looks fine. If it was some kind of signal issue I would think you would see quality dip when it happens, it don't. Intermittent problems are the hardest to track down, always has been. With these companies proving your case so they look into it is half the battle.

BTW if for some crazy reason the LNBF is getting some kind of intermod noise which is causing my issue will Direct send me a replacement for free or charge me?

Last edited:
All I can do is monitor it and hope when it really starts to act up (which it does) I can get Direct on the phone and they see it too. Otherwise maybe a receiver swap is in order although I just went down that road a few months back and it was a pain more than anything. I really don't think it is on my end. I checked my LNBF connections and redid them too. Everything looks fine. If it was some kind of signal issue I would think you would see quality dip when it happens, it don't. Intermittent problems are the hardest to track down, always has been. With these companies proving your case so they look into it is half the battle.

Part of the issue is you are very limited on which channels you can view on that transponder to see if its possibly something more. Having only the family pack and Nick West being on a transponder with sports channels does limit ones ability to check. If there were other channels you subbed to it would be easier. Not blaming you ;)
If other channels on that transponder had issues then I would say the receiver may be having issues

Have you tried a different LNB? I know you use a non-stock Directv setup.

tvropro said:
I was looking at that chart the other day. I noticed there are a lot of sport channels in that mux. I bet Direct cranked the VBR up on those and there is nothing left for the others, and Nick runs into bit starving. Thats what it looks like to me. Wish I had the tools to read the stream and prove that point.

If that were the case then others would notice it too.

I have the Direct LNBF on a 90cm Primestar (Channel master) dish pointed at 101. Before we even go down that road I have been installing satellite systems since 1987 So I am more qualified and understand satellite communications more than any installer Direct probably sends out. I could sit down and discuss this problem 1 on 1 with the NOC guys in their language. If it starts acting up this week and hangs around some I'm going to connect my other backup dish pointed at 101 to confirm its not an LNBF issue.

Others that have looked at it and don't see it post your setup Dish LNBF and receiver. It could be a software issue in my D11. What I'm trying to do is build a case then present it to someone higher up at Direct.

but me thinks unless you actually work or BETA for them you are barking up the wrong tree. if you are paying money for the service; just enjoy it.

Last edited:
If your paying for a service it is suppose to work right. Direct has a responsibility to their customer to make it right. No matter where the problem lies. I'll get to the bottom of this sooner or later.

Last edited:
Working 100% A-OK here. This is EXACTLY why they want to do the installs. REGARDLESS of what and how much YOU know, there is no guarantee to them it is right and no way for them to do any REAL trouble shooting. Home-brew (which I have done) is always at the owner's feet to work with, deal with and to maintain or correct. Let the company you PAY, do their job. Get the correct system, with their install and THEN lay issues at their feet ; otherwise, its all your problem in reality and no sense complaining about it.. Not trying to hammer you; just saying. You can't expect them to bend or jump through hoops when they had no hand in setting it up. It works perfectly for the VAST majority.

Last edited:
There are 4 places the problem can lie. LNBF, Receiver, at the master feed upiink, or at Directs NOC. Dealing with Direct is like dealing with any other stupid cable company. It's a joke when there are issues and their equipment.. This is why I always liked C band since you cut out that cable middleman and could get to the bottom of things faster yourself. There technical staff for the most part are a bunch of trained seals that can read from a screen or turn a wrench. They don't pay what they would have to to maintain the expertise required to truly trouble shoot. Button pushers and parts changers are a dime a dozen. I wonder how many in NOC are nominds also? I have met some headend techs that didn't have a clue of what they were doing.

How come my installer didn't care about installing my system and said I could do better myself when he saw my setup and left me the stuff. He was more interested in seeing what was on my big dish.Which he was in awe about and the quality of the picture. He thought everything was HD even SD. He asked me why I was even getting DirecTv. (that one is simple, its because of pizza and cable they axed our subs down on the big dish)

Getting back to the original issue I was watching it yesterday and it didn't mess up at all. So once again it will be a pain to solve but with time and effort I will resolve it and I bet a lot faster then if Direct sent 100 so called service techs out here.

You have to look at Direct as nothing more than cable on a stick. Wonder why I fired my cable company in 1987 and went to a bud? Now I remember.

tvropro said:
There are 4 places the problem can lie. LNBF, Receiver, at the master feed upiink, or at Directs NOC. Dealing with Direct is like dealing with any other stupid cable company. It's a joke when there are issues and their equipment.. This is why I always liked C band since you cut out that cable middleman and could get to the bottom of things faster yourself. There technical staff for the most part are a bunch of trained seals that can read from a screen or turn a wrench. They don't pay what they would have to to maintain the expertise required to truly trouble shoot. Button pushers and parts changers are a dime a dozen. I wonder how many in NOC are nominds also? I have met some headend techs that didn't have a clue of what they were doing.

How come my installer didn't care about installing my system and said I could do better myself when he saw my setup and left me the stuff. He was more interested in seeing what was on my big dish.Which he was in awe about and the quality of the picture. He thought everything was HD even SD. He asked me why I was even getting DirecTv. (that one is simple, its because of pizza and cable they axed our subs down on the big dish)

Getting back to the original issue I was watching it yesterday and it didn't mess up at all. So once again it will be a pain to solve but with time and effort I will resolve it and I bet a lot faster then if Direct sent 100 so called service techs out here.

You have to look at Direct as nothing more than cable on a stick. Wonder why I fired my cable company in 1987 and went to a bud? Now I remember.

Absolutely Amazing ...

Once again, you bitch and complain about a service ... yet you keep it and complain when it IS working perfect and again when its not.....

How you can expect every tech to know about equipment they have never dealt with is also amazing.

Do you have a complete D* set up anywhere ?
THAT I would expect them to service, not 2 different technologies mixed together.

You have half of a C Band set up working with a D* set up and you expect the D* guys to be able to know what's going on.

When I had my C Band mny years ago, I enjoyed it , however, I did not do my own installs, first I really didn't have time to learn it all to do so and didn't want to invest in the money requred to buy meters.

Therefore I relyed on the local guys, which were good, but I could not just pick up the phone a schedule a service call. There were only a few people that would do service, one company wanted sales but not to service....

Then after awhile technology was changing and I could not afford all new equipment again ... then the service providers started to dwindle so as everything came together, I decided to go else where.
I do miss alot of the advantages of C band but I am very happy with what I have as well.

Sent from my Samsung Epic using SatelliteGuys

Once again, you bitch and complain about a service ... yet you keep it and complain when it IS working perfect and again when its not.....

How you can expect every tech to know about equipment they have never dealt with is also amazing.

Do you have a complete D* set up anywhere ?
THAT I would expect them to service, not 2 different technologies mixed together.

I need to troubleshoot this myself. I don't expect Direct to understand my setup. If you looked at it logically though it is a 18" dish setup using a larger reflector (thats it)

I asked a few questions such as what receivers, lnb's & dish styles ones that didn't see issues were using. I got no input. Whats the big secret?

I asked a few questions such as what receivers, lnb's & dish styles ones that didn't see issues were using. I got no input. Whats the big secret?

I didnt see that in the thread but for giggles here i my setup
R22 DVR
Slimline 3 LNB...99/101/103
SWM setup

Watched 300 yesterday for a couple hours last night...no issues. none

Other folks have said they have no issues either so I would hazard a guess its the receiver. But as I posted before why not watch 299 (Nick East)?

If it is determined to be a recvr, they will possibly just send you one in the mail, that way you don't need to be home for a visit and can do the swap yourself.

I am doing testing, found a loose connection on the tuner pcb re soldered it so far so good. Thanks for the input all.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts