Questions about The Hopper?

On a hopper system, can you use 1 feed from the EA Dish, as with the 722 where one line comes in and it is split to go to the two inputs, or should I run a second line to my dish, and while at it, a third. I won't get Hopper until/unless it has OTA.And, can one hopper supposrt 4 Joey's? I only see mention of 3 in the wiring diagram pdf.

On a hopper system, can you use 1 feed from the EA Dish, as with the 722 where one line comes in and it is split to go to the two inputs, or should I run a second line to my dish, and while at it, a third. I won't get Hopper until/unless it has OTA.And, can one hopper supposrt 4 Joey's? I only see mention of 3 in the wiring diagram pdf.

You need two lines from dish to a solo node and three lines from dish to a duo node. You only need a single line from the node to each hopper.

You may be able to place the node at the dish, and have the single line coming into the home if it's a single hopper.

Personally, if you have a wiring closet or some other sort of central point in the house, I would place the node there and run the extra lines from the Dish.

You need two lines from dish to a solo node and three lines from dish to a duo node. You only need a single line from the node to each hopper.

You may be able to place the node at the dish, and have the single line coming into the home if it's a single hopper.

Personally, if you have a wiring closet or some other sort of central point in the house, I would place the node there and run the extra lines from the Dish.

I do have a central point in the garage so I think I will dig and busy another cable, 2 to cover all. I have an underground feed to the dish in the yard and it goes under a sidewalk. I had to take the connector off the end on the first one as there was not room for it to go through. Might need another conduit. That'll be the test. Maybe the Node will go at the dish, but what if I ever go to a dual hopper.... depends on how many Joeys can go on one hopper.

Barry Erick said:
I do have a central point in the garage so I think I will dig and busy another cable, 2 to cover all. I have an underground feed to the dish in the yard and it goes under a sidewalk. I had to take the connector off the end on the first one as there was not room for it to go through. Might need another conduit. That'll be the test. Maybe the Node will go at the dish, but what if I ever go to a dual hopper.... depends on how many Joeys can go on one hopper.

From what I've been told, 3 joeys per hopper. It might be a good idea just to run 3 oines from the dish in case you ever decide to change to a 2 hopper system. Especially since you already seem to be prepping to run a second line, just make it a 2nd & 3rd line.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using SatelliteGuys

VIP at Home & Hopper in RV?

I have three VIP receivers in my stick house and want to install a Hopper & 2 Joeys in my RV. A Dish installer just told me I can't do that on "one account" with Hopper/Joey. Is he confusing mixing VIPs/Hopper, or is this a Dish policy?

You can not have VIPs and Hoppers on the same account, no matter whether it's stick or RV or, in your case, both. You could always upgrade your VIPs to Hopper/Joeys in the stick house and then, when you are on the road, move them to the RV.

You can not have VIPs and Hoppers on the same account, no matter whether it's stick or RV or, in your case, both. You could always upgrade your VIPs to Hopper/Joeys in the stick house and then, when you are on the road, move them to the RV.
Since I already purchased a Hopper & 2 Joeys, what are my options?

Since I already purchased a Hopper & 2 Joeys, what are my options?

Install them in your stick house, and move them to the RV when you are on the road, just like I said....

Install them in your stick house, and move them to the RV when you are on the road, just like I said....
The Dish installer I contacted wants nothing to do with equipment that has already been purchased. In fact he was surprised that it COULD be bought. Anyway, I'm not nuts about doing a home install on my own. Do I just keep calling installers until I find one who will do a home install with purchased equipment?

From what I've been told, 3 joeys per hopper. It might be a good idea just to run 3 oines from the dish in case you ever decide to change to a 2 hopper system. Especially since you already seem to be prepping to run a second line, just make it a 2nd & 3rd line.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using SatelliteGuys
When the roofers removed my dish from the house, they pushed tha dual cable with the gnd tracer line to inside the garage. I've been meaning to remove it as I had no use for it after I mounted my dish elsewhere. Well, that line was the exact length I needed to reach from my distrubution to the dish. So I dug to the conduit and found there was room for the cable end that I told them to just cut off and give me the dish. That end with no connectors was easy to puch through. The worst part was drilling the hole to get it into the garage at ground level. I don't have it connected right now, that can happen anytime. Hopefully, before this time next year, the OTA module will be ready.

The Dish installer I contacted wants nothing to do with equipment that has already been purchased. In fact he was surprised that it COULD be bought. Anyway, I'm not nuts about doing a home install on my own. Do I just keep calling installers until I find one who will do a home install with purchased equipment?

Contact DIRT. They should be able to set up an install. There may be a charge for it.

Not sure if this has been said yet but I have heard from Dish that 2 Hopper integration should be available this summer. I know that most people were expecting it to be soon anyway but it's nice to hear a little info on it from Dish. I'm hoping I hear more details when at Team Summit in May.

The TV volume?

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner
There's no volume for audio out of the satellite receiver, but you can program the Dish remote so that volume up/down sends commands to your TV or your A/V receiver. It's under menu/setup/remote manager/volume

I have a technical question about the Joey. Is it displaying all or some of the menus all by itself, or are these sourced in the video stream from the Hopper?

How about all the channel tiles? Are these all sitting in memory? And how about the DLNA feature? I think this is coming direct from your server, so in principle the Hopper could crump and you could still watch your own local shows. How about BB@home streaming? If the Joeys can stream BB@home themselves, then this bodes well for Dish non-DVR receivers doing the same thing.

I have a technical question about the Joey. Is it displaying all or some of the menus all by itself, or are these sourced in the video stream from the Hopper?
The user interface (menus, tiles, etc.) are taken care of by the Joey itself.

Hopper provides a compressed video/audio stream to Joey which Joey then decodes and outputs to the TV/audio system.
How about all the channel tiles? Are these all sitting in memory?
It isn't clear how much memory there is in Joey. It's possible Hopper stores images for its Joeys but with the cost of memory these days it's more likely Joey stores them locally.
And how about the DLNA feature? I think this is coming direct from your server,
It seems unlikely Hopper would have any part in dealing with DLNA.
so in principle the Hopper could crump and you could still watch your own local shows.
No. The video/audio stream needs to be extracted from the satellite signal (or off-air signal when it's supported). That's the purpose of the three tuners in Hopper (and eventually the off-air module). DVR streams also originate in Hopper.

So there's nothing to watch without Hopper except the menus.
How about BB@home streaming? If the Joeys can stream BB@home themselves, then this bodes well for Dish non-DVR receivers doing the same thing.
That seems possible but it isn't clear how this is handled.

Thanks for your response!

It seems unlikely Hopper would have any part in dealing with DLNA.

That is what I thought. But then why do you go on about the sat signal?

No. The video/audio stream needs to be extracted from the satellite signal (or off-air signal when it's supported). That's the purpose of the three tuners in Hopper (and eventually the off-air module). DVR streams also originate in Hopper.

So there's nothing to watch without Hopper except the menus.

I was specifically asking about the streaming sources independent of the Hopper, namely the DLNA feature and BB@home. I was thinking that they might well continue without the Hopper. It's a partial workaround for the case when you're a single Hopper installation and it smokes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts