Questions about The Hopper?

I read the first ten pages looking for an answer to this:
Question - if I switch to this from my 6 Series dvrs, can I backup the shows I haven't watched to an external hard drive and then plug that into the Joey and still be able to watch them or will it be incompatible with my current receivers recordings?

Question - if I switch to this from my 6 Series dvrs, can I backup the shows I haven't watched to an external hard drive and then plug that into the Joey and still be able to watch them or will it be incompatible with my current receivers recordings?
Are we talking 625 or ViP series???

TheKrell said:
How about BB@home streaming? If the Joeys can stream BB@home themselves, then this bodes well for Dish non-DVR receivers doing the same thing.

Joey's cannot do anything unless linked to a hopper. If you try to access BB@HOME or other VoD content on the Joey without connecting the hopper to internet, but Joey is connected, it says hopper must be connected to internet.

Now they may be able to access dlna content, if they eventually get past trying to link with a hopper on startup.

Hey guys!!

Well, I'm about to upgrade to 2H/2J from 2 722Ks this week, but I'm wondering (sorry if this has been asked before,) does H/J have anything like the previous DVRs (even 625 had it) related to Dish Record Plus? You can enable/disable it. If enabled, you can set the preference to which TV it records to, but with H/J I would expect things to be different. With DRP disabled, then only the tuner that the TV you are using will be used to record (if in Dual Mode.)

So does H/J have that?

Thanks!!

There are no "modes" on the Hopper. Recordings will use any available tuner before taking over one that is in use.

3HaloODST said:
Hey guys!!

Well, I'm about to upgrade to 2H/2J from 2 722Ks this week, but I'm wondering (sorry if this has been asked before,) does H/J have anything like the previous DVRs (even 625 had it) related to Dish Record Plus? You can enable/disable it. If enabled, you can set the preference to which TV it records to, but with H/J I would expect things to be different. With DRP disabled, then only the tuner that the TV you are using will be used to record (if in Dual Mode.)

So does H/J have that?

Thanks!!

Your dual tuner dvr pretty much has a tuner dedicated to each TV.
The hopper is totally different. It has 3 tuners, and any TV location can watch any tuner. There's a menu to select which tuner you want to view, or if they're all in use you can select DVR, ondemand, or primetime anytime content.

How about if for example, there are three recordings scheduled to record, yet, there are two other TVs that are tuned in to live TV, and do not wish to be disrupted by the other person's recordings? How does it handle situations like that?

3HaloODST said:
How about if for example, there are three recordings scheduled to record, yet, there are two other TVs that are tuned in to live TV, and do not wish to be disrupted by the other person's recordings? How does it handle situations like that?

The live tv viewers will be disrupted. 3 recordings will use the 3 tuners (unless 2 or more happen to be PTAT shows, then they will share a tuner).

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

That's what I was afraid of. I hated that when I had U-verse. The kids would always interrupt the other viewers with recordings. So there's no way to prevent that other than to tell them to quit?

The tuners automatically go to the recording that is scheduled, at least the PTAT does it that way. The TVs watching other programming will change channels to whatever tuner they were on.

You did say you'd have 2 Hoppers, so you will have 6 tuners (9 if you have PTAT enabled during that window of time).

True, however I'm thinking about using the isolators to where there is no inter-hopper communication, just 1 Hopper per Joey.

The tuners automatically go to the recording that is scheduled, at least the PTAT does it that way. The TVs watching other programming will change channels to whatever tuner they were on.

So basically I'm going to have to teach the kids how to use it right instead of just already having limits in place like with the 722K. I personally think that this is a step backwards. At the very least Dish should give the option like they did on the previous DVRs. However this is not going to stop me from upgrading this week.

I just got to thinking about some more things. Okay so with Hopper, you can't dedicate tuners to any TVs. Okay, so, what about padding? When a recording is padding 3 minutes late and 1 minute early, is it going to take an extra tuner, and boot off someone watching TV, every time padding takes place? On the ViP series, if there are things going back-to-back, it simply takes off the padding, so as not to use more than 1 tuner at a time. How does Hopper/Joey handle this?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts