Questions about The Hopper?

Do you want one Hopper or two? How are the dishes currently wired? If you only want one Hopper you can just run a line from the 129 wing to the LNB in port on the DPP Twin and then install the solo node. If you want two Hoppers you'd have to use a DPP switch of some kind.

Yes two Hoppers. So I will need a switch. Is there an advantage from one to the other?

In your case a DPP33 would probably be preferable so that you wouldn't have to run a separate line outside just to power the switch like you would for a DPP44 (can't run the power inserter through the node like we used to be able to do with a receiver). However, DNS techs do not have DPP33 switches anymore, not sure about the contractors. Dealers can still get whatever they want.

Are the DPP44s connected to power via coax? If so, I already have a run set up like that powering my OTA amp. Not going to be using OTA for a while it looks like. I think I'm going to try and find a DPP33.

Ebay has one for 45.00. Does that sound ok?

heres a ? I'm thinking about 1 Hopper 2 joeys . can I record 2 shows at same time and still watch live tv on all 3 units

You can have two tuners in use recording and then the third tuner (max of 3 sat tuners) can be shared by the three tvs and all be mirroring the same 1 show and when one changes channel all three change with it, or 1 can watch live and the other two can watch recordings, or VOD content

Are the DPP44s connected to power via coax? If so, I already have a run set up like that powering my OTA amp. Not going to be using OTA for a while it looks like. I think I'm going to try and find a DPP33.

Ebay has one for 45.00. Does that sound ok?

DPP44s are powered via coax on the number 1 port that would normally go to a receiver, as far as cost is concerned i don't know

This is what I currently have:
IMAG0239.jpgIMAG0241.jpgIMAG0242.jpg

Are there numbers on there I can get for you guys? I know the DPP44 already. Just would like to know ahead of time. You guys (installers?) are throwing out all these alpha-numeric numbers, and I can't follow! And thanks for everyone's help and patience!

Seems like one of the two lines going in the house is power for the DPP44, based on current conversation in the forum. So a DPP33 (which doesn't need power) would use the two existing coax lines to feed my Hoppers... Of course, I don't know what I'm talking about!

Last edited:
What would you do in my case? I have two Dish 500s. One on 110,119, and the wing 500 on 129.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

And, you "might" get a slightly stronger signal this way, depending upon peaking.

This is what I currently have:
View attachment 74858View attachment 74859View attachment 74860

Are there numbers on there I can get for you guys? I know the DPP44 already. Just would like to know ahead of time. You guys (installers?) are throwing out all these alpha-numeric numbers, and I can't follow! And thanks for everyone's help and patience!

Seems like one of the two lines going in the house is power for the DPP44, based on current conversation in the forum. So a DPP33 (which doesn't need power) would use the two existing coax lines to feed my Hoppers... Of course, I don't know what I'm talking about!

You have a first generation 1000+ dish set-up. Your 44 switch and 2 output cables will support 1 Hopper (1 cable for Hopper and 1 cable for power inserter). You'd need to run a 3rd cable to support a 2nd Hopper. A 33 switch won't work with your 4 orbital location set-up. As stated earlier, I'd replace your existing LNBF assembly with a new 1000+ DPP LNBF assembly and call it a day.

First comment was based on previous posts stating that they thought two dishes could be better peaked for signal quality than a single dish. More trade offs with a single dish, I suppose.

Second comment was an aside to comments posted by Claude.

I have two SD - Non HD TVs (in addition to several HD TVs) which are now connected to 722K from the SD coax out using a conventional splitter. In a H/J set up how would these TVs be connected?

If my current bill looks like this....

Blockbuster@Home - 1 Disc 10.00
America's Top 250 69.99
HD/SD (2TV) DVR Receiver 17.00
DVR Service 10.00
Protection Plan 6.00
HD 250 Free ($10/Mo) 0.00
HD DVR Receiver 10.00
HBO 16.00
Total$138.99

What would it look like if I went to one hopper with 3 joeys (keeping same programming.) I am a long time customer. I also have the 922 now. Would I lose capability to remote view live TV and if so, would I have to purchase a sling adapter for the hopper (to replace the 922 capabilities??)

Thanks for all of your help!!

thanks so much for your info....patmurphey...what would be the advantage of the 2 hopper system with 2 joeys?? just more recording time??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts