Questions about The Hopper?

(quoted from a different thread)

Is there a way to turn this off?
When I press recall I WANT it to just switch between the current channel and the last channel, nothing more.

To the left of the last four channels is the following message:

"To disable this feature, select Format Guide and set the multi-channel recall to off."

Sorry, I am sure this is in here, and I could have searched longer, but what is the value of an internet connection at the Joey? TIA!

AFAIK, none presently. In the future, the Joey can be the internet connect point for the whole MRV setup, but presently, it's at the Hopper only (for USB wireless or ethernet connect). This may have changed recently. Not sure.

KAB said:
AFAIK, none presently. In the future, the Joey can be the internet connect point for the whole MRV setup, but presently, it's at the Hopper only (for USB wireless or ethernet connect). This may have changed recently. Not sure.

In a two Hopper system, do you only need one of them connected to the Internet? Or do you need both until the software update integrates them?

Hello, I would like to upgrade to HD on all tv's in a two-story house. I currently have the 508D and 625 receivers working 5 tv's. I do not need all tv's to be independent since I live on my own. Can I make it work with 1 hopper and 1 joey to minimize expense? It appears that Dish wants you to buy 1 Joey per tv. Can you make 1 Joey work three tv's through the walls or does 1 remote only work in front of 1 Joey? Do I need multiple remotes?

What version of firmware are people on who have upgraded to the Hopper? I'm on S203 NACB according to Menu -> Settings -> Diagnostics -> System Info.

I ask because I'm having issues getting sling to work, and can only play from the 1st 2 of my 4 EHDs, although I can transfer between any of the 4 EHDs. The installer inadvertently unplugged my internet service before he did the install, not sure that they applied all the firmware upgrades. If I'm not current, is there an easy way to get the firmware updates to apply? Or do I have to just wait until it happens automatically over the next week or so? Thanks!

Last edited:
What is HDMI CEC used for?
It's essentially a universal remote replacement, allowing control of all devices via HDMI from your TV remote as well as auto selecting inputs and power. For example, if your blu-ray player and tv have CEC enabled, turning on the player will automatically turn on the tv and switch to the proper input. The buttons on your tv remote can then also control the player. This comes in really handy on a PS3 that has no IR remote control without some sort of expensive adapter. HERE's the whole spec if you are interested.

Is there any document that tells what the various symbols and icons mean on the Hopper? For example all the recordings I transferred have a "P" on a shield. I assumed that meant protected/locked, but I could delete them without a password. And they weren't locked before I transferred them.

Hello, I would like to upgrade to HD on all tv's in a two-story house. I currently have the 508D and 625 receivers working 5 tv's. I do not need all tv's to be independent since I live on my own. Can I make it work with 1 hopper and 1 joey to minimize expense? It appears that Dish wants you to buy 1 Joey per tv. Can you make 1 Joey work three tv's through the walls or does 1 remote only work in front of 1 Joey? Do I need multiple remotes?

I just set up a modulator to send a signal on to other TVs through coax from a Joey's RCA plugs. The Joey remotes do work through walls, so I have my Harmony remote in the Joey room, and the Joey remote working in the room without a Joey. Seems doable, note that I haven't yet tried sending the modulated coax back through the same coax being used by MOCA to send the signal from the Hopper to the Joey. If you want HD in your other rooms, you'd need to split HDMI or some such thing instead of using a modulator w/ RCA plugs and coax.

To remove it, go to Menu - Settings - Network Settings - Whole Home - Display Settings and select Disabled under the Moca Quality Icon heading.

On the new activation, does the $200 second hopper charge get paid to the dealer, or get charged to my card by dish?

For those that have Hopper added, are you seeing any more additional content with blockbuster@ home?

Assuming that somewhere on the DVR recordings screen, it has an estimate of the recording time remaining, does that estimate, unlike the ViP receivers, take into account that MPEG4 takes up less space than MPEG2?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)