Questions from someone coming back after 15(!) years.....

mnassour

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 1, 2004
It looks like the college football choices on Dish have me coming back after a long absence. But I've got some questions about the service in general, in addition to those about the Hopper I posted in its area. I was hoping the DIRT folks would have these answers, but please, anyone who knows, I'd really appreciate the info!

The package desired is AT200. We were told by a Dish sales rep on March 21 that we could add the International News Package to this for $5/month, without purchasing any other international programming. I would like to confirm that this is now the case, as I have been told differently in the past. Could the International World Pack be added as well? And what kind of dish hardware setup will be necessary for this programming? I understand the News Pack is at 118, does this mean a second dish? Would that be an extra charge above the normal install?

Are any of the channels in the International News Pack or the International World Pack in HD?

Regarding college sports, will Longhorn Network, Pac 12 Network and SEC Network be available for September? If, so will all be in HD?

How does Dish charge for HD? Is the lifetime HD free promo still in effect?

Are there still “part time” HD channels on Dish? If so, what are they?

Thanks so much for everyone's help on these, we won't be installing until July, I just want to get my ducks in order before then.

Mike Nassour / Austin TX

If you mean via satellite, no you can't just get the International World or News pack, you need an international package also. HOWEVER - if you desire you can get a very good package of all those channels online from DISH for $10 a month. Can be from a computer or Roku.

There is no more HD for life. New subscribers get it free for two years if you sign a two year contract. After that supposedly the offer ends. Many of us feel at that time there either will be a different offer, or by then DISH will have ceased even having SD channels.

All those College networks will be available. I don't know that it has been positively announced they will always be in HD, or announced they will not.

RSN's (Your local Sports channel) are still part time. Most pro sports on those channels are in HD now though there are a few exceptions for some games. No other channels are part time by DISH. Obviously some HD channels do not always have HD programming.

If you mean via satellite, no you can't just get the International World or News pack, you need an international package also.

Can someone from DIRT check on this one... I know about 3 months ago when I checked on this you just had to get AT120 or higher to get the International News Pack. Did this change? I don't want to be giving out bad info. :)

Right....that's what I saw on the web page as well, but the sales rep (whose name and phone number I did manage to get) swore up and down that all I needed was AT120 or better. When I first thought about coming to Dish a year or so back, I was told by several folks on the phone that I had to start with a basic international package. I'm really hoping that's changed as I'd rather not spend $20/month for Cricket that I'll never watch.

I have the International World Pack and you must have an international package to get it. Online you can just get it. The Cricket package qualifies, however it is seasonal, when it goes so would your pack.
So you could get French TV5 for $9.99 and then the pack for instance. If you go online to your account you will see you can not add either of those two packs without also adding an international package.

Oh wank.

:mmph:

Well, if I have to do TV5 for $10/month, I figure the World Pack News is worth $15 total per month to me. It's nice to have all these options, though. Once you let go of Sunday Ticket there's all kinds of stuff out there!

One more quick thing...what kind of dish will they be installing, given that it needs to do HD and the international stuff at 118.7?

One more quick thing...what kind of dish will they be installing, given that it needs to do HD and the international stuff at 118.7?
Something like this...

Attachments

• dpp500plus-1.jpg
    dpp500plus-1.jpg
    540.4 KB · Views: 179
Yep if you are Western Arc one dish!

I watch channels from 118 all the time, in addition to the good channels in the World pack, TvJapan has free programming and the HD is terrific.

Western Arc? Is it the same it used to be? A thousand years ago we had a dual dish system focused on 62 and 119. How far west do I need to go? I seem to remember a Dish bird at 148 as well.

If you can provide the area where you live & where you get your local programming,people here will let you know if you need a western arc(where you'd only need one dish set up,satellites 110, 119, & 129,with 118.7 for international programming) or eastern arc(satellites 61.5, 72.7, & 77,then you'd need a separate dish to pick up 118.7 for international programming) dish.

Yes sir, I'm in Austin Texas, ZIP Code 78745. Given what you said there I'm betting I'm western arc as I've never had any issues since the BUD days in getting video from those coordinates and I'm pretty sure that where the dish will need to be positioned can't physically see 61.5.

Austin HD channels are on the WA. They are mirrored on the EA as well. The SD channels are all on the WA, so you are cool.... You don't need 61.5 but 129 is a must for the HD channels

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts