Quick iPhone Question or Two

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

HDRoberts

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 13, 2008
Cleveland, OH
Feb 19th, my Sprint contract is up, so I'm walking into the Apple store the Saturday after and picking up an iPhone. I just have one question.

I'm wondering if I should go 8 gig or 16 gig. I'm not a huge music buff, so my collection is small. Do I get any other advantages with having 16 gigs? I presume it can work as a flash drive, like the iPod. Can you store more apps? Anything else? If the extra 8 gigs is all about music, I'll save the $100.

Also, besides a screen protector, any "must have" accessories?

Can't speak for the iphone, but my storage card in my PDA gets used up mostly from storing movies to watch. I'm not a big collector of music but movies and other video will really fill up your storage capacity fast. Sling box will save a bit on that because it allows you to access your home media server or DVR for video content but sometimes that won't be available like on long flights, no internet. I say if you can afford it, get the higher capacity.

Good point on the video, although until I get it I don't really know how much I'll use that feature.

Unless there are other advantages, I might just invest the $100 in better accessories.

Pretty much the only advantage is for music and videos. The apps are so small I don't see the extra storage any advantage for those.

Another memory eater are the podcasts. I have a bunch being recorded automatically using Egress RSS agregator, as they are produced and when I get some time, I listen to them. Many of these chew up 40-55 Mb each.

I have the 4 gig iPhone and as long as you don't need any movies or your entire photo and music collection, you won't need the extra memory. The apps don't take much memory, about the same as a song.

I have an 8. I was going to mention podcasts, esp video podcasts, also. I don't use it to access mail (well, I'll webmail) so I don't know how much that could chew up. TV shows, etc, would add up quickly. I've done a few apps and lots of podcasts, and am now loading up for a 400 mile drive (800, both ways). I'm not remotely coming close to capacity.

I haven't used a screen protector. Never used one for my PDA either.

Only big disappointment I've had is that it does not support hands free dialing (and some say, due to hardware, never will). The voice dialers require you to manipulate the phone itself. With my old cell phones, I could press the button on my bluetooth earpiece and speak the name. Inconvenient, and probably what will get me to upgrade to the next iPhone that has that feature.

Still haven't taken the time to learn much about it. Wish there was a way to delete podcasts individually on the phone itself.

Iphone...I have so many songs stored on my 8gb...on top the apps..its amazing, I doubt I will ever need 16gb.

I have the 8gig model as well, my wife has the 16. There is no difference in the two, you will never use the full 16 gigs unless you put huge movie files on it. I recommend getting a touch through screen case. You can use the phone and all of it's functions without touching the most important part of the phone, the screen. Also, Zagg has the invisible shield if you don't want any of the bulk of the touch through screen case. Either way, these are both good investments that still keeps the style of the phone intact.

Thanks for the responses.

So, you can't delete podcasts without syncing? That stinks, but the 8 or so I will subscribe to don't take up that much space. I think I'll just load up on a nice case and some extra charging gear for the $100.

One other question: I see AT&T is selling refurbished 30-day return iPhones on the web at a $50 discount. Any thoughts on these?

Welcome to iPhone Nation, HD! A couple of notes on your post:

I have had good success with other refurb models from AT&T. Just be sure they are warranted. And it wouldn't hurt to have an Apple store nearby.

As for your other questions:

8GB or 16? I echo the folks who say the 8GB phone will suit you just fine, unless you have mondo music files and keep a bunch of movies and photos on your phone.

Accessories: If you do get a case, I have no specific product recommendations, because I haven't found the perfect case yet. :mad: But I would suggest these attributes when looking:
  1. They should protect the phone from drop damage. I am the world's clumsiest klutz, and the rather delicate lines of the iPhone invite drops. Beware of cases that charge upwards of $35 and are only made of flimsy plastic. Go to the Apple or AT&T store and ask to try before you buy.
  2. Scratches for me are cosmetic faults, and I wouldn't spend the money on a case that's designed to protect the phone from scratches. A scratched iPhone will function just fine.
  3. If you truly want a case with a screen protector built into it, try iy befor eyou buy. Make sure that the case's screen shield doesn't interfere with the phone's touch-screen interface. This includes vanishing the screen when talking, so your cheek doesn't activate a keypad function or the speaker. (This is one of the best unsung attributes of the iPhone, and I wasn't aware of it until I dumped a bulky case I was using.)
  4. Experiment with screen protectors. As much as I don't like the aesthetics of having a matte finish on my phone screen, I have to admit that the Crystal anti-glare protector goes on with the fewest air bubbles. One note: If you use a screen protector, don't get a slip-on case, either a sandwich top-and-bottom variety or a single-unit style. It will cause your screen protector to bubble up, guaranteed. I haven't found any tight-fit case that will not do this, or at least a screen protector that resists it.
  5. I got a car charger, as well as and extra home charger, which I keep plugged in at my office. If you have an Exchange account and use the Web frequently, the battery will run out quickly. BTW, if you recharge your phone by plugging it into a Mac notebook, I found that the iPhone battery will not charge when the laptop is in sleep mode (OS X Panther and Tiger; not sure about Leopard). Not sure if this also the case for PCs.
In any case, welcome again to iPhone Nation!

I tried the Innocase. It looked good on paper. I discovered it was very thin plastic that scrunched up my screen protector and made it bubble. When I tried to remove the Innocase, the bottom frame bent.

I hope y'all have greater success with it than I.

I tried the Innocase. It looked good on paper. I discovered it was very thin plastic that scrunched up my screen protector and made it bubble. When I tried to remove the Innocase, the bottom frame bent.

I hope y'all have greater success with it than I.

Good to know.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)