Quickcrete, Grout, Cement?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I haven't put anything inside any of my poles, other than what may have seeped in whilst I was originally doing it. Am I asking for trouble?

Pepper said:
I haven't put anything inside any of my poles, other than what may have seeped in whilst I was originally doing it. Am I asking for trouble?

Putting cement in the pole stops any flex, if it has not been a problem up to now you should be GOOD :)

No flex problems currently.

I had actually thought about it before but decided against because of heat expansion. Is this not an issue with a metal pole filled with concrete in a location where the sun can shine on it all day? (My driveway has expansion joints every few feet, I assume for good reason)

Concrete and steel have about the same expansion rate. That is one reason re-bar (steel) works so well with concrete.
Bob

Mike500 said:
Only the last 12-16 inches near the surface needs to be filled with concrete. The last two or three inches should be covered with soil. The bottom of the post should extend below the concrete for about 24 inches, and can be driven into the ground.

There is very little lateral movement on the bottom of the pole, if properly tamped even in soft soils. A muffler clamp makes a very easy to place anti-rotation device, if placed in the middle of the concrete section.

The concrete should be mixed very very dry and rammed and tamped into the top of the hole with the end of a 2x4 or 2x6, while keeping the pole plumb. Driving the post and ramming the concrete into the hole with a very dry mix will allow the concrete to support the dish immediately to support the dish without movement.

That's almost exactly what I do with my pole-mounts. Only minus the muffler clamps and add a few self-tappers 20 inches or so from the bottom of the pole. It definately helps the "grab factor" since those tappers are in the middle of the cement.

I use a hammer to flatten the bottom of the pole. I mix quickcrete in a 5 gallon bucket. Once the concrete is in the hole I tap the pole with a hammer until bubbles quit rising out of the concrete.

How much concrete do you guys end up using? My 1.8m was my first install, and it took 1200lbs to fill the hole. I thought that seemed like a lot, but maybe it isn't? I bought 800lbs at first, couldn't beleive it when I ran out and had to go get more.

for what it's worth I pick up empty joint compound buckets off job sites, drill a hole near the bottom of the pipe, stick one of those giant galvanized nails through, put the pipe in the bucket fill it with well mixed cement. I make up a few of those and keep them handy. I always go out with one already set up. If I need to, I dig the hole, scrape up the bottom of the hole to make some loose soil, put the whole thing in there and use it to tamp it'self down. Fill with soil 2/3rd's of the way and at that point I wedge some rocks or other solid concrete items laying around into the hole between the pipe and the walls of the hole. Then fill the rest of the way with dirt. I like having the bucket and pole with cement all set up and ready to go if I need it. Nice project to do on a slow day and I always try to have 3-5 sitting around.

I use about 1 bag of quickcrete which is 50#. This is with primestar or 36 inch dishes. The pole will bend before the concrete in the ground will move. Grab a pole at the top and pull. The pole wil bend where it enters the concrete. The concrete will not budge.

On a 6 foot BUD I used 3 80# bags of concrete. It has been in the ground for 15 years. Never moved at all.

I use quickcrete on installs I do for setting up 3ABN dishes. I set the pole first and by the time I run the cable it has set up enough to put on the dish and align it to the satellite.

That is good to know! I used 2 - 50 pound bags when I set up my Primestar. I now have an 80cm and motor on it and was concered about frost heave. I am only down about 23". My fingers are crossed! Worse case, I will have to re-do it next spring. BUT, I found a spot that might get me farther east than 72!

The amount of depth would depend on how much groundfrost you get.
Here in VA they put water pipes 18" in the ground.
I have used dry premixed concrete for many things besides setting poles without any problems.You tamp it as you go while you are filling the hole as well as plumb it.By the time you get done filling the hole it will be rocksolid.It is not even nessessary to add water since it will absorb water from the ground.The secret is tamping.For the inside of the pole you could use sandmix which should be mixed with water.
Reinhold.

FWIW, Wildblue (my internet provider) installation standards require a minimum hole depth of 30-inches and 120-lbs of concrete for their 26"x28" dish when pole mounted.

All depends where you are 30" will not cut it here in MN, you have to go below the frost line or the pole WILL move. 36" min. here in the frozen tundra of MN.

ok, i have to ask, what about treated 4x4 wood posts buried about 4-5 ft down in concrete(hole about 2ft across), but only rising out of the the ground no more than 5 1/2 ft???still move? tall enough?( in NJ), is mounting with lag bolts into the wood better than the clamps that hold onto mast poles??thanks for any input, oh ,,mounting a Geosat Pro 90cm from SATELLITEAV and Geosat Pro GS120 HHmotor....

Pole in Cement

I just rebuilt my deck over the summer and poured 1.5 yards with the use of an electric mixer and brute force...........and 9 90lb bags of Portland from Menards.........and even though I'm in Canada and had to pay duty at the border, I STILL Saved Big Money! It's a great place to shop!

I just did a directv install last night and used the 1 5/8" fence post and quickcrete from Menards too!! When i walk thru the store I sing "Spend Big Money at Menards".

I poured a couple bags into a 5 gallon bucket, planted my pole in it for a over night set. Then I buried about half the bucket in the ground, and filled dirt the rest the way up. I then filled the fence poll with some quickcrete.

I'll see how it holds up this winter. The great thing is it has a handle if I ever need to move it. I hate having a pole in the ground, and not being about to remove the poll without having to dig to china.

Last edited:
ok, i think i am past my wood 4x4, sort of,,the localation where the previous owner had buried posts for when they sub to a sat provider wil not give me enough clearance, way too many trees, my previous setup was on a temp ground mount,( to move depending on what 1 sat i wanted and my line of site),i want something more perm now,,so,, this is large prop i am on,, the previous owner had a dog training school and had paid the local elec servc company to install commercial parking lot type gas lights on very tall wood post, i see ever so slight concrete poured in the hole maybe only an inch around the post, now i am sure this thing goes way down deep due to thats its like 3 stories tall,,i can physical shake it , but i have not seen it sway at all in any storm???and its s few hundred feet away from the house, any input that will help is much appreciated, thanks

Status
Please reply by conversation.