Rainier Encore D9865H

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
The issue was that someone posted it in the regular open FTA forum which is available to google for indexing.

If I remember correctly that mux was found and shut off as someone from Dish was searching on Google and saw it. They didn’t even come to the site to find it.

It was the reason we created the What’s Up There forum which is only seen and available to those who want to see it, are logged in and opt in to the forum to see it.

For most dish guys that is too much work and above their pay grade. :)

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

See, my memory is going. LOL Forgot all about how that came about. :(

Is there a reason why he only resells PowerVu channels?? Does he actually have legit contracts with these networks?

I find it strange that he isn't reselling any channels that are using encryption methods which aren't compromised.

wvman Satelliteguys is a public forum and I would strongly argue that they should NOT be blocked from viewing Satelliteguys posts. I personally have no issue with Rainier knowing that I refuse to refer anyone to their service and why. Yes, Brian Gohl tells callers to Titanium Satellite to do their own research before conducting any business with Rainier Satellite. (That sentence should be easily indexed by Google)! :clapping

I should become a fortune teller! Was just told by a forum member that within a few hours of this thread being started, the Rainier forum had started a new pity party thread and was slinging BS again at the SatelliteGuys forum and also Titanium Satellite. Guess we hit a nerve by suggesting that cappy29 research and decide for himself. "Glentroll" is having conversations between his multiple fake usernames again. Pathetic... Like this is anything new. LOL

Happy New Year! Peace! :biggrin

Last edited:
Was just told by a forum member that within a few hours of this thread being started, the Rainier forum had started a new pity party thread and was slinging BS again at the SatelliteGuys forum and also Titanium Satellite. Guess we hit a nerve by suggesting that cappy29 research and decide for himself. "Glentroll" is having conversations between his multiple fake usernames again. Pathetic... Like this is anything new. LOL

Brian, he sure does have it in for you. Your name is even included in the meta search terms on his website!!

83BA9631-2EA0-401A-A63B-83DD8715F88B.jpeg

wvman Satelliteguys is a public forum and I would strongly argue that they should NOT be blocked from viewing Satelliteguys posts. I personally have no issue with Rainier knowing that I refuse to refer anyone to their service and why. Yes, Brian Gohl tells callers to Titanium Satellite to do their own research before conducting any business with Rainier Satellite. (That sentence should be easily indexed by Google)! :clapping

I should become a fortune teller! Was just told by a forum member that within a few hours of this thread being started, the Rainier forum had started a new pity party thread and was slinging BS again at the SatelliteGuys forum and also Titanium Satellite. Guess we hit a nerve by suggesting that cappy29 research and decide for himself. "Glentroll" is having conversations between his multiple fake usernames again. Pathetic... Like this is anything new. LOL

Happy New Year! Peace! :biggrin

That didn't take long. LOL Pity they don't have anything better to do than watch us. :confused:

1. I don't know how tech savy you are, but you may want to consider this receiver Titanium Satellite - Store from Titanium Satellite (4K) or the AMIKO from KE4EST and I think Scott sells receivers as well. Any of those guys will take care of you if you buy from them. :)

Nope I don’t sell anything but pub memberships which go to pay our server / software and licensing fees.

I have never sold equipment.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

A backstory and interesting read on the TVROSat forum about those 16APSK channels that were distributed unencrypted and FTA for about a year. At first Rainier stated that their legacy receiver (which was released before 16APSK was even developed) was capable of 16APSK reception and only required a software update from Cisco. They assured forum members that an update would be released shortly so 9865 owners could watch these 16APSK channels.

Once that bizarre claim was debunked as a lie by engineering contacts at Cisco, Rainier then stated on the TVROSat forum that they had been in communication with parties to have these "unauthorized" channels removed. It was very bizzarre, as if they were bragging to the FTA forum that they were making an effort to take away FTA channels. Once Rainier knew that their legacy receiver would never be able to receive these FTA channels, their tune changed. I view this as a childish temper tantrum... If they couldn't receive those unencrypted FTA channels on their subscription receiver, nobody should be able to enjoy them. This BS just goes against everything that is the FTA hobby.

It appears that Rainier Satellite was then banned from the TVROSat forum (for repeatedly attacking other members, forums and industry companies) before these damning posts could be edited to change to reflect their current reversion of reality.... Once banned, Rainier started their current attack against the TVRO FTA forum. Let's see, TVROSat was the 4th or 5th forum that Rainier has been banned for the same behavior? See a pattern?

A backstory and interesting read on the TVROSat forum about those 16APSK channels that were distributed unencrypted and FTA for about a year. At first Rainier stated that their legacy receiver (which was released before 16APSK was even developed) was capable of 16APSK reception and only required a software update from Cisco. They assured forum members that an update would be released shortly so 9865 owners could watch these 16APSK channels.

Once that bizarre claim was debunked as a lie by engineering contacts at Cisco, Rainier then stated on the TVROSat forum that they had been in communication with parties to have these "unauthorized" channels removed. It was very bizzarre, as if they were bragging to the FTA forum that they were making an effort to take away FTA channels. Once Rainier knew that their legacy receiver would never be able to receive these FTA channels, their tune changed. I view this as a childish temper tantrum... If they couldn't receive those unencrypted FTA channels on their subscription receiver, nobody should be able to enjoy them. This BS just goes against everything that is the FTA hobby.

It appears that Rainier Satellite was then banned from the TVROSat forum (for repeatedly attacking other members, forums and industry companies) before these damning posts could be edited to change to reflect their current reversion of reality.... Once banned, Rainier started their current attack against the TVRO FTA forum. Let's see, TVROSat was the 4th or 5th forum that Rainier has been banned for the same behavior? See a pattern?

Sounds to me like he just wants to corner the market regardless of whichever tactic it takes. Doesn't sound like they care about the hobbyist.

Had a BUD dealer here once that bad-mouthed all the other dealers telling everything they sold junk. We had a trade show in my hometown once and I found out a good friend from a neighboring town was going to have a booth set up there, so I helped him at the show. I didn't sign up. The bad-mouther had a booth as well and a lot of people I knew said he was running his mouth about us, so I gave the wife a tape recorder and sent her over posing as a customer.

Her immediately started bad-mouthing us, so I confronted him and he lied his a$$ off saying my wife was a liar claiming he never said it. The look on his face said it all when I played the tape back for him. A couple years later, he gathered up all his toys and went back to Pennsylvania and we never heard from him again. I think he got hooked on a financing scheme and lost his shirt. LOL

Reactions: MikeI
Fact of the matter is that if Rainier or anybody else would offer a receiver at a decent price with some channels that most of us actually wanted to watch that are not available FTA with all the cord cutting going on they would have a nice niche market. I said the same thing on another forum this morning. I’d pay $20 a month or so to legally get a handful of channels I’m actually interested in either by hardware or software CAM. To pay an outrageous price for a old receiver and most of the channels in his lineup are FTA to begin with is not a sound business plan.

Reactions: norman881
Fact of the matter is that if Rainier or anybody else would offer a receiver at a decent price with some channels that most of us actually wanted to watch that are not available FTA with all the cord cutting going on they would have a nice niche market. I said the same thing on another forum this morning. I’d pay $20 a month or so to legally get a handful of channels I’m actually interested in either by hardware or software CAM. To pay an outrageous price for a old receiver and most of the channels in his lineup are FTA to begin with is not a sound business plan.

I agree 100%. If there was a receiver available that could decode DCII, Powervu, etc and could give me legal access to scrambled channels, I would gladly pay a reasonable cost. C-band picture quality is top notch and I would jump on that opportunity. Rainier's offerings are NOT that opportunity.

Reactions: truckracer
I have to say I really enjoy that Rainier site though. The design out of the 90's is fascinating. The weird marketing buzz words Glen uses, the strange capitalization. The endless blog posts about how "Were" (Glen doesn't know what apostrophes are apparently) the future of C-Band. His little graphics and the way he phrases things is strangely entertaining.

With the help of Rainier Satellite’s Ultra High Bandwidth HD programming services. Our programming is different than all the others. You receive it via C-band satellite. (this ensures no weather related issues and provides broadcast quality signals) These are very high quality Pure1080 Razor Sharp HD signals. The Rainier signals are not over compressed and rival blu-ray quality or better. Sharpness, detail, and color are breathtaking.

Pure1080. LOL.

These are sad times we are living in when a 7 Mbps H.264 channel is considered "ultra high bandwidth HD". I mean, as nice as the C-band feeds are, most of them are still really overcompressed and the material is still losing a lot of detail that could be retained with higher bitrates (20+ Mbps). Most of the networks settle for something in the 3-9 Mbps range. The cable companies and pizza pan satellite companies have just lowered the bar so much that these 3-9 Mbps uplinks look impressive when compared to the re-encoded junk that the pizzas and the cables dish out.

They still pale in comparison to the quality offered by a Blu-ray or even Amazon and Netflix's 1080p streams, and especially Amazon and Netflix's 4K streams. Amazon has cleaner sources that they produce their encodes from and uses much better encoding settings than the realtime H.264 encoders these networks use at their uplinks so even at similar bitrates, material on their Prime Video service looks a lot better than the TV broadcast on the C-band network feed.

The only web sources that linear channels are still better quality than are direct network web sources. A&E Networks, for example distributes all their programs via the web on their websites/apps using terrible 720p H.264 @ 3 Mbps. But if you buy their content on Amazon's PrimeVideo service, it will look better than the A&E network feeds on C-band, because Amazon's version will be available at 1080p with good bitrates. But of course, not everything is available on Blu-ray, or even available to stream on Amazon or Netflix, so for that material that still has no Blu-ray and lacks a good web distribution source, that is when C-band is a real gem. Live PD for example, A&E doesn't put up on Amazon so the only way to watch it is that terrible 720p version from A&E's website or on A&E's 1080i channel. And the 1080i channel clearly wins in this scenario.

I overall agree with the premise that what DirecTV, Dish, the cable cos and the telcos repackage and sell is crap, but claiming that the C-band uplinks of these channels have better than Blu-ray quality, them's fightin' words. That is just a bold faced lie.

The only cases where that claim may sometimes be true is with a high bitrate backhaul wildfeed but he is not referring to backhaul feeds.

Anyways, even though I know y'all hate him, I do kind of hope Glen is successful in his business, as much of a longshot as C-band may be. It would be nice if it was actually possible to just buy a subscription to most of these networks' master uplinks directly instead of having to buy some re-encoded piece of crap version of those channels from the cable company or DirecTV/Dish's offerings, and have to deal with their picking what channels you can get instead of you being able to pick the channels you want. Customers being able to get programming directly from the network of their choosing without obnoxious middlemen like DirecTV/Dish is going to be the future, but it is going to be through the Internet and not through satellites.