RAM question

rockymtnhigh

Hardly Normal
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 14, 2006
Normal, IL
Ok, I bought a 2GB sodimm stick for my wife's netbook, and installed it. The thing is WinXP is still reporting .99GB of ram. Either the RAM really wasn't a 2GB stick (but mislabeled), the computer is struggling using it (but it is running fine), or the software just isn't acknowledging the ram.

Any recommendations on how to best troubleshoot the problem short of returning the memory and buying a new stick?

What are the specs of the memory that you purchased compared to what is already installed?

I went to the Crucial website and did a memory configuration form for the Asus Eee PC 1000HE. It recommended DDR2 256MX64PC2-5300, which is what I bought. The stick that came out of the machine was ASit DDR2 1GB-667 SSY264M8-J6EH

Sounds like a bad stick of ram.
Run a live Linux cd, and see what it shows for total memory.
Also, you could key F2 as you boot the 1000HE, and see what it shows in the bios.

Bob

Rocky, I am not sure that you purchased the recommended memory for your netbook. I just did the same thing on Crucial's website and it recommended me a different memory module than the one that you bought. I am thinking that your memory module that was purchased was only a 1GB stick if it only shows 1GB. I have never seen a bad 2GB stick work with just 1GB. It is normally a all or nothing when it comes to memory.

2GB, 200-pin SODIMM, DDR2 PC2-6400 upgrades for ASUS Eee PC 1000HE Netbook, CT934346 from Crucial.com

Rocky, I am not sure that you purchased the recommended memory for your netbook. I just did the same thing on Crucial's website and it recommended me a different memory module than the one that you bought. I am thinking that your memory module that was purchased was only a 1GB stick if it only shows 1GB. I have never seen a bad 2GB stick work with just 1GB. It is normally a all or nothing when it comes to memory.

2GB, 200-pin SODIMM, DDR2 PC2-6400 upgrades for ASUS Eee PC 1000HE Netbook, CT934346 from Crucial.com

I am utterly confused at this point, but I think the stick was mislabeled, as it is packaged as 2GB and even has a sticker saying it is 2GB, but just is coming up as 1GB.

Will try the bios first, but most likely will return. Amazon is good about this stuff.

So, get this... I boot into the bios (it took three tries, before I could get the machine to actually do it!) and it said there was 2048MB of ram, just as it is supposed to. I then boot into windows, and now system info recognized the 1.99GB of ram.

I am guessing the pc just needed to go into bios once; although on other machines when I have booted a computer with new ram, the bios usually kicked me right into bios for a memory mismatch. On the EeePC it simply ignored it, and kept on chugging.

I'll have her run the machine a it and see how the performance is. Maybe problem solved. Not sure yet. :)

If you bought on amazon they are good about returns. Just send it back and order the new one you need
clear.gif

IMHO crucial would not be on my shopping list. My last crucial purchase was a disaster and only after my problems did I notice that ooodles of other people had the same complaints. Hope that stick lasts for you.