Random Thoughts

SandraC

On Vacation
Original poster
Apr 10, 2008
NJ
Mid-week rumblings and bumblings:

1. Three days until my first triathlon!!!

2. Seems like the NHL hasn't had a competitive series in about ten years.

3. Getting closer to Lakers/Celtics...looking forward to it if it happens.

4. Barry should have went up for the shot when he got Fisher in the air. He would have had three foul shots.

5. Speaking of Fisher, good to see him doing well. Hope his daughter is OK.

6. Jagr and the Rangers talking contract...interesting.

7. What happened to CSN Philly games in hi-def?

8. If Big Brown wins the Belmont will it be a big story? Does anybody care? Seems like the Breeders Cup has made even the Triple Crown races less important.

9. A little worried about swimming with hundreds of people racing, all at the same time. At least it's in a lake. I'm in an August triathlon where the swim is in the ocean.

10. I love the commercial where the OSU guy on the blind date jumps out of a moving car when he finds out the girl who is driving is a Michigan fan.

11. Do guys watch womens tennis to look at pretty girls in short skirts? Or for the sport?

12. How exciting was the Man U - Chelsea game? Oh my.

13. While sitting next to Omar Minaya at Monday's press conference, Willie Randolph looked like he wanted to be anywhere on the planet but there. Even a stinkin' Ice-lander game.

14. I just spent another $150 on triathlon gear yesterday (tri-shorts, a tri-top, gel nutritionals, body glide, etc.)...triathlon is an expensive sport!

15. Girardi was right, the umps should have stopped the game in the top of the ninth last night...it was pouring rain.

16. Is Jose Reyes over-rated?

17. How good has Rasner been the last few starts?

18. Tony Parker is such a cutie.

19. I better not flat on the bike on Saturday.

20. My niece is an amazing little 11 year old soccer player.

21. Pedro back with the Mets will at the very least be interesting.

22. I like both the TNT and ESPN announcing teams, but I don't like ESPN's studio show.

23. So confused about what to wear at the race. I think this tri-top is way too tight on top, I'm going to be thinking about that as I bounce through the run.

24. Do the clothes you wear underneath a wetsuit get wet? I don't even know. The wetsuit is like Spider-man tight (a tough fit for me!) but I don't know if water gets in anyway.

25. I cant wait to wear my race t-shirt after the race to tell everyone I'm a triathlete!

Sandra

1. Three days until my first triathlon!!! Go get 'em Tiger! Make us proud!

10. I love the commercial where the OSU guy on the blind date jumps out of a moving car when he finds out the girl who is driving is a Michigan fan. Never seen that one. I will be watching with anticipation though.

11. Do guys watch womens tennis to look at pretty girls in short skirts? Or for the sport? Pretty girls in shorts is one reason, but I also enjoy the noises (read: grunts) some make, particularly Maria Sharapova. :eek: ;)

1. Good Luck
3. Me too
11. The women are playing a sport? :D just kidding.
23. Me too, lol

2. Seems like the NHL hasn't had a competitive series in about ten years.

10. I love the commercial where the OSU guy on the blind date jumps out of a moving car when he finds out the girl who is driving is a Michigan fan.

15. Girardi was right, the umps should have stopped the game in the top of the ninth last night...it was pouring rain.

18. Tony Parker is such a cutie.

Sandra

2. Just a few years ago, the Oilers and Hurricanes played one of the most amazing Cup Finals I ever saw. Also, Lightning/Flames in 2004 was very good and hard-fought.

10. If you were on a blind date with a handsome guy who liked the Islanders, would you do the same thing?

15. Maybe if the Yankee pitchers hadn't blown those four-run leads or not given up all those homers...

18. I assume you're mad that Eva's married to Mr. Parker.

2. Just a few years ago, the Oilers and Hurricanes played one of the most amazing Cup Finals I ever saw. Also, Lightning/Flames in 2004 was very good and hard-fought.

10. If you were on a blind date with a handsome guy who liked the Islanders, would you do the same thing?

15. Maybe if the Yankee pitchers hadn't blown those four-run leads or not given up all those homers...

18. I assume you're mad that Eva's married to Mr. Parker.

2. I especially loved the Edmonton fans singing both natoinal anthems. Gave me chills.

10. The Ice-landers have six fans total, who have a grand total of about 15 teeth. None of them are handsome.

15. Very true. Doesn't mean Girardi wasn't right, though, they finished the top of the ninth in torrential rain.

18. I am disappointed she beat me to Tony, yes. He must have gone for the money. Henrik is still available, but for some reason he hasn't called me.....yet. ;)

Perhaps he's looking for a rich actress too?

Sandra

8. If Big Brown wins the Belmont will it be a big story? Does anybody care? Seems like the Breeders Cup has made even the Triple Crown races less important.

Sandra
Yes, it will be a big story. And I care a lot. I hate what the breeders have done to race horses. They have bred for speed, ignoring endurance and---more importantly---the health of the horses. Horses bodies are now too small to hold a really strong heart and lungs. Their legs are way too thin for their bodies, and they break them even more often than they used to.

Now along comes Big Brown. He reminds me a lot of Secretariat, the greatest horse I ever saw. If Big Brown wins and wins BIG maybe it will send a notice to the breeders. (I can dream, can't I?)

But Big Brown is NOT Secretariat. His body is big and he has excellent endurance. But his legs are still too skinny. That probably explains why he has the hoof problems he has. I am hoping Big Brown wins by 20 or 30 lengths. But I hope even more that he survives the race intact, along with all the other horses. And above all I hope that if he is allowed to race it is because he is healthy enough and NOT because the owners want to make a killing (pun intended).

1 - Good luck. I really do not think these types of things are healthy for people, IMHO, however.

3 - What a surprise! One would almost think that its a smoke and mirrors operation. Oh, that's right, it is.

8 - It will be a story for a few hours, but since the horse will retire to a wonderful job in Kentucky and never race again in any case, the only way a person will ever have any interest in Big Brown again is on the sire line in the agate type on the Racing Form in a couple of years, it cannot last. Maybe if they had a Triple Crown for Geldings.

10 - To quote the late, great Lewis Grizzard, "I think you are all yankees and wish both of you could lose."

11 - Yes.

12 - What is a "Man U"? Isn't "Chelsea" the name of the ex big creep's daughter? WHO CARES, its soccer!

20 - Americans have rightly relegated soccer to its proper status as a game for pre-pubsecent girl children.

24 - Go natural.

1 - Good luck. I really do not think these types of things are healthy for people, IMHO, however.

3 - What a surprise! One would almost think that its a smoke and mirrors operation. Oh, that's right, it is.

8 - It will be a story for a few hours, but since the horse will retire to a wonderful job in Kentucky and never race again in any case, the only way a person will ever have any interest in Big Brown again is on the sire line in the agate type on the Racing Form in a couple of years, it cannot last. Maybe if they had a Triple Crown for Geldings.

10 - To quote the late, great Lewis Grizzard, "I think you are all yankees and wish both of you could lose."

11 - Yes.

12 - What is a "Man U"? Isn't "Chelsea" the name of the ex big creep's daughter? WHO CARES, its soccer!

20 - Americans have rightly relegated soccer to its proper status as a game for pre-pubsecent girl children.

24 - Go natural.

1. Did you really say triathlons aren't healthy for people, or did I read that wrong? Must be a misprint.

I'm almost back to the weight I was when I was a cheerleader in high school. I now weigh even less than I did when I tried out to be a Raiderette. I can run up two flights of stairs in an office building and not be breathing any harder at the top than I was at the bottom. My resting heart rate is below 60. Because I work so hard training I watch absolutely everything I eat...I do indulge in the occasional ice cream sundae, but otherwise I'm eating healthier than I ever have.

Yes, very unhealthy indeed.

12. Manchester United happens to be the most visible, recognizable, and perhaps the most popular sports team in the world. And this is coming from a diehard Yankee fan. Perhaps you don't care, but around the sports world a lot more people cared about the Man U/Chelsea game than all of the NBA, NHL and MLB games that week combined.

I grew up in a household with a dad and a bunch of brothers who were all sports-crazed. The big four sports were pretty much all we cared about, and they're still my favorite sports, with hockey as number one. But I can appreciate other sports too, soccer being one of them.

24. Cannot go natural under a wetsuit, first of all I have to take it off to get on the bike, and second of all I have a couple of body parts that would move around waaaaay too much. ;)

Sandra

1. Did you really say triathlons aren't healthy for people, or did I read that wrong? Must be a misprint.

I'm almost back to the weight I was when I was a cheerleader in high school. I now weigh even less than I did when I tried out to be a Raiderette. I can run up two flights of stairs in an office building and not be breathing any harder at the top than I was at the bottom. My resting heart rate is below 60. Because I work so hard training I watch absolutely everything I eat...I do indulge in the occasional ice cream sundae, but otherwise I'm eating healthier than I ever have.

So you didn't make the Raiderette's?

So you didn't make the Raiderette's?

Unfortunately I did not. I made it through three rounds of call backs, to the final 60 or 70 I think out of something like 300 girls. But finally my number didn't come up.

So many of the girls are absolutely phenomenal dancers, they should be on Broadway instead of a football field! I'm pretty good, but I'm not trained like some of them were.

The tryout process itself is painful and nerve-wracking. You have to be able to learn entire dance routines in like a matter of minutes. Even if my booty could work that fast, my brain couldn't! Despite the intense competition I did make some wonderful friends there.

They asked me if I'd be interested in practicing with the final team to get more dance experience, and filling in when needed at appearances at malls, fundraisers, things like that. But I would never have gotten on the field, not been eligible for the calendar shoot, and I forget what else.

I decided against it, although I probably should have if I wanted to try to make the team next year...but I never went back.

Sandra

Wow, that sounds like a really hard process for something that you don't make a lot of money doing. How long ago was that?

Wow, that sounds like a really hard process for something that you don't make a lot of money doing. How long ago was that?

It was the last year the Raiders were in LA, actually (1994?), where I went to live for a few years right out of high school...before I regained my senses (and dumped the guy who brought me there) and moved back to the east coast.

It was an incredibly pressurized situation. And yes, the pay would barely cover your make up expense.

Some girls do it because they love it, and some for the exposure (so to speak!) :D

I have to mention some of the people running the tryouts were just brutal on some of the girls. The guys judging you seemed to be nice and supportive even for the girls who weren't great, but the women running it were the bad cops, they were just lethal with their commentary and their negativity. I must have seen at least 50 girls crying because of what was said to them.

Sandra

sandra, many years ago, the finance director in edgewater, fl daughter was an philidelphia eagles cheerleader. the eagles girls did a calendar and her dad gave me an autographed copy (as he did the male reporter who covered the city for the competition). goodness, i had so many offers from guys who wanted to buy it. i kept it forever but it must have gotten lost in one of my moves.

i'm concerned about big brown's hoof. god forbid, something happens during the belmont and he would have to be put down. i think that would put a kabosh on horse racing for a long time.

good luck with your triathalon!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)