Random Thoughts

Jesus Christ...!! WHERE in my post does it say that other sports do not require skills? I SAID that baseball require a more skills THAN MOST sports.:rolleyes:

If a QB has a bad hamstring....he can still be effective because all he has to do is NOT run or run as little as humanly possible. A baseball could not do that AT ALL. Same applies with a hockey and basketball.

Not going to argue with you this time. Sorry. You are welcome to your opinion.

Sandra

But I do disagree with what you said about basketball and hockey players. Sure a basketball court is smaller than a baseball field, as is a hockey rink, but the amount of actual running (or skating) that is done by baseball players pales in comparison. And it's not just running, it's stops and starts, constantly changing direction, etc.

Sandra
I agree with this as well. But, the running in basketball (which does reguire much more endurance and energy than that in baseball) is more of a marathon, with just a few fast breaks. This, along with the fact that they don't play everyday, allows basketball players to get away with minor hamstring string pulls more so than baseball players. Running in baseball is pretty much all sprinting (going from not moving at all to sprint at full speed), even though the amount of running is a fraction of that in basketball. This has a greater impact on a hamstring or other leg injury.

Running in baseball is pretty much all sprinting (going from not moving at all to sprint at full speed), even though the amount of running is a fraction of that in basketball. This has a greater impact on a hamstring or other leg injury.

Not to mention the amount of games....30 spring training...162 regular season...and if your team is really good....another possible 12-21 more games....that is almost 200 games and 3 times more than the NBA.

Not to mention the amount of games....30 spring training...162 regular season...and if your team is really good....another possible 12-21 more games....that is almost 200 games and 3 times more than the NBA.

Yeah, but you don't account for the fact that baseball players are "grazing" in the field or slouching on the bench for 85% of the game, where as NBA, NHL, NFL and Tennis players exert MUCH more energy in a given work day.

I agree with this as well. But, the running in basketball (which does reguire much more endurance and energy than that in baseball) is more of a marathon, with just a few fast breaks. This, along with the fact that they don't play everyday, allows basketball players to get away with minor hamstring string pulls more so than baseball players. Running in baseball is pretty much all sprinting (going from not moving at all to sprint at full speed), even though the amount of running is a fraction of that in basketball. This has a greater impact on a hamstring or other leg injury.

You know, I agree with some of what you said about skill, but you're totally losing me with this 'Running baseball player' theory. Running in baseball is pretty much all sprinting? Really? How much sprinting do you think the average baseball player does in a game, anyway?

Let's take a look at James Loney from last night, since I watched the Dodger/Rockie game once the Yankees took a big lead and the little league game ended. He grounded out in the second, so he hopefully sprinted the 90 feet to first base. He hit a homer in the fourth...most likely zero sprinting, but I'll give you that he sprinted the first 45 feet to first base...although he probably didn't. Grounded out to the pitcher in the sixth...zero sprinting. In the ninth he singled do left. He didn't sprint to first. He got caught up in a double play, so let's say he sprinted 80 feet to second base, accounting for his lead.

So in Loney's at bats, that's a total of 215 feet of sprinting. Let's add 100 feet of sprinting on defense, absurd for an infielder and probably generous for an outfielder too, but let's add it anyway. 315 feet total, in probably an average game for a major leaguer. That's 315 feet of sprinting.

I promise you the players on the court or on the ice do 315 feet of sprinting in the first period of every game. Basketball and hockey are not only the marathons baseball is absolutely not, there is also a ton of sprinting, much more so than in baseball. A basketball court is 94 feet long. A hockey rink 200 feet. In case you haven't been watching Sportscenter, basketball is a game of fast breaks. Sprinting. Back and forth. A lot. Hockey is worse.

And whereas baseball virtually always requires only sprinting from point A to point B, in the other sports there are athletic plays to be made while you are sprinting. Twists and turns...sprinting then stopping then sprinting again almost immediately. Much harder on your legs.

Most basketball or hockey players would do the 315 feet of sprinting a baseball player does in a game and not even notice it. Most baseball players, if subjected to the amount of sprinting done in basketball or hockey in a game...would not survive. ;)

Sandra

Yeah, but you don't account for the fact that baseball players are "grazing" in the field or slouching on the bench for 85% of the game, where as NBA, NHL, NFL and Tennis players exert MUCH more energy in a given work day.
:rolleyes: Slight exaggeration, don't you think?

Let's say it is 85% of the time. This helps make my point. What puts more strain on your muscles, standing around and then suddenly having to sprint at full speed everyday, or constantly moving at a slow to moderate steady speed every other day?

Which one will you be able to play through a hamstring pull much easier? I have played both basketball and baseball. Yes, basketball is much more physically demanding. When I had to play with an ankle injury it was easier to play basketball with a brace, whereas in baseball it was nearly impossible for me to do anything. Swinging a bat with a bad ankle messes up ones swing so much that they cannot even come close to performing where they should. Then having to sprint with a brace is also impossible.

If there's all this "sprinting" going on in baseball, how come Usain Bolt hasn't signed up yet? I bet you he'd be the best damn baseball player ever if it involves so much "sprinting"! :) ;)

You know, I agree with some of what you said about skill, but you're totally losing me with this 'Running baseball player' theory. Running in baseball is pretty much all sprinting? Really? How much sprinting do you think the average baseball player does in a game, anyway?

Let's take a look at James Loney from last night, since I watched the Dodger/Rockie game once the Yankees took a big lead and the little league game ended. He grounded out in the second, so he hopefully sprinted the 90 feet to first base. He hit a homer in the fourth...most likely zero sprinting, but I'll give you that he sprinted the first 45 feet to first base...although he probably didn't. Grounded out to the pitcher in the sixth...zero sprinting. In the ninth he singled do left. He didn't sprint to first. He got caught up in a double play, so let's say he sprinted 80 feet to second base, accounting for his lead.

So in Loney's at bats, that's a total of 215 feet of sprinting. Let's add 100 feet of sprinting on defense, absurd for an infielder and probably generous for an outfielder too, but let's add it anyway. 315 feet total, in probably an average game for a major leaguer. That's 315 feet of sprinting.

I promise you the players on the court or on the ice do 315 feet of sprinting in the first period of every game. Basketball and hockey are not only the marathons baseball is absolutely not, there is also a ton of sprinting, much more so than in baseball. A basketball court is 94 feet long. A hockey rink 200 feet. In case you haven't been watching Sportscenter, basketball is a game of fast breaks. Sprinting. Back and forth. A lot. Hockey is worse.

And whereas baseball virtually always requires only sprinting from point A to point B, in the other sports there are athletic plays to be made while you are sprinting. Twists and turns...sprinting then stopping then sprinting again almost immediately. Much harder on your legs.

Most basketball or hockey players would do the 315 feet of sprinting a baseball player does in a game and not even notice it. Most baseball players, if subjected to the amount of sprinting done in basketball or hockey in a game...would not survive. ;)

Sandra
You are also looking at the slowest guy on the team playing a position with requires the least amount of movement as well. Why do you think they place slow power-hitters at first (although Loney is stinking it up big time this year)? Loney can probably get away with playing with a slightly hamstring pull, like Buckner could get away with a messed up leg because they are/were playing first (which is why they moved Buckner from the outfield to 1B).

An outfield or middle infielder do a lot more sprinting on the field and at the plate. Heck, Pierre and Kemp turn everything into a sprint.

If there's all this "sprinting" going on in baseball, how come Usain Bolt hasn't signed up yet? I bet you he'd be the best damn baseball player ever if it involves so much "sprinting"! :) ;)
That is not even worthy of a response.

I guess I will respond anyway...

Can he it? Can he catch? Can he even throw a ball? Does he know anything about baseball? Does he even want to play it?
Since you have a Jordon quote in your sig, lets use him as an example. Michael Jordan couldn't even play baseball. He has good speed I assume, and was very athletic. Those alone do not make a good baseball player. You need other unique skills in addition to these two.

Dion Sanders could not play baseball as well as he could play football (and he played baseball mainly because of his speed). Even Bo Jackson, if his career wasn't cut short, would have been more likely to make it to the NFL HOF vs the MLB HOF. He played both because of his speed and strength. There are other skills needed besides speed alone, skills that are more unique than any other sport. Athleticism and speed alone are not enough, but they certainly help.

Have you seen the movie, Major League? Charlie Mays Hayes made the team simply because of his speed, but he had to work hard to become a baseball player.

Yes, sprinting speed is important for many positions (namely outfield, and middle infield), but that alone does not make one a good baseball player.

That is not even worthy of a response.

I guess I will respond anyway...

Honestly, I didn't expect you to respond. I was joking. (notice the smilies). I just found it humorous of all this discussion of "sprinting" as your example of the hard effort Baseball Players exert compared to other sports.

Michael Jordan couldn't even play baseball. Dion Sanders could not play baseball as well as he could play football (and he played baseball mainly because of his speed). Even Bo Jackson, if his career wasn't cut short, would have been more likely to make it to the NFL HOF vs the MLB HOF. He played both because of his speed and strength. There are other skills needed besides speed alone, skills that are more unique than any other sport. Athleticism and speed alone are not enough.

I'm well aware of the various skill sets it takes to be a ballplayer. Growing up, it was my favorite sport. I played competitively throughout school as a pitcher and first baseman.

Have you seen the movie, Major League? Charlie Mays Hayes made the team simply because of his speed, but he had to work hard to become a baseball player.

Of course! What kind of Clevelander would I be if I've never see Major League!? :)

You are also looking at the slowest guy on the team playing a position with requires the least amount of movement as well. Why do you think they place slow power-hitters at first (although Loney is stinking it up big time this year)? Loney can probably get away with playing with a slightly hamstring pull, like Buckner could get away with a messed up leg because they are/were playing first (which is why they moved Buckner from the outfield to 1B).

An outfield or middle infielder do a lot more sprinting on the field and at the plate. Heck, Pierre and Kemp turn everything into a sprint.

OK it really doesn't matter how fast you are, sprinting is sprinting. Not every guy in the NBA runs at the same speed either, but if they're sprinting, they're sprinting.

I allowed an extra 100 feet for the fact that Loney is an infielder. I think that's very generous, as outfielders do not sprint to every fly ball. Second basemen and shortstops? Oh my goodness, what do they sprint, eight feet at a time on defense...occasionally?

Sure there is the occasional triple where you sprint 270 feet at one time, but more often than that there are games where you strike out twice and pop up twice, and your offensive sprinting for the game is zero. Nobody sprints back to the dugout. ;)

Add another 100 feet of sprinting if you like, although that's ridiculously generous. 415 feet of sprinting in an entire game. Not even a football field and a half. Basketball and hockey players still sprint that much in one period...

Again, I'm not talking about your hamstring issue, I'm just saying there is not much sprinting in a baseball game. You're making it sound like these guys do everything at full speed for three hours straight. Not even close.

Sandra

Honestly, I didn't expect you to respond. I was joking. (notice the smilies). I just found it humorous of all this discussion of "sprinting" as your example of the hard effort Baseball Players exert compared to other sports.

I'm well aware of the various skill sets it takes to be a ballplayer. Growing up, it was my favorite sport. I played competitively throughout school as a pitcher and first baseman.

Of course! What kind of Clevelander would I be if I've never see Major League!? :)
:up

Sorry, didn't realize it was said in tongue and cheek???

Whatever.

Soccer players are knee-grabbing sissies.

All this baseball talk has me hungry for a hot dog.

Next? :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)