RAnT! I cant really tell huge differance with HD over SD with Voom

Seawaves said:
Ice,

A couple of thoughts (besides we are all beating this thread to death)-

your cable box might have shown more of a difference because the SD channels were a much lower quality from your cable provider so there was a bigger jump to the cable HD channels. just a thought.

Second, if you put that Sony on ebay you might still see 75% back. If you do, then look real hard at the plasmas and see the specs between a 42 and a 60. I bought both a 42 and a 50 and the brightness makes a huge diff. The 42" Fujitsu was 1024 X1024 and the picture belonged in a theatre.

However, I put the 42 in the bedroom and it it cranked way too much heat. As it kept it's value better than the 50" I sold it. Now with Voom I wish I had kept it.

If you go 16:9 on a 42, that's still a lot of picture. And- as you seem most worried over picture quality, bigger in plasma is not better- it's just bigger. I keep waiting for the price to go down on gas, real esate, and plasma TV's. Hey- look it keeps going up! LOL.

But that's just my opinon.

Comcast here is on new fiber optics so unbelievably it actually has a very good SD picture and awesome HD. But the channel choice sucks and they suck!

That was great information on Plasma.
Could you pm or messege me on what 42inch plasma you recomened and anywhere with good prices.

I wish I could ebay this set but I think it would have to be picked up as shipping would kill the profit.

Great post. Thank you!

Tvlman said:
I too left Sony and went to Hitachi. It has the best set of lenses and projection system compared to all. What a difference from Sony to Hitachi. The difference on my set is night and day. I have VOOM set to 1080 (all the programs are 1080i except the Cinema 10 which is 720 but that is supposed to change). I also still have DTV. I pipped my screen and watched Voom & DTV side by side on the Discovery channel. No difference, they were both 1080i HiDef. Are you using components or DVI?

My brother has and swears by the same Hitachi set you have.
I still agree with Magnolia HiFi (high end shop here in Seattle) that as good as Hitachi and Proscan projection is it still is not as sharp as The best tubes with HD. Just opionions.
I believe I am going Plasma baby!! after what I have read and reasearched on Epionions today.

Tvlman said:
I too left Sony and went to Hitachi. It has the best set of lenses and projection system compared to all. What a difference from Sony to Hitachi. The difference on my set is night and day. I have VOOM set to 1080 (all the programs are 1080i except the Cinema 10 which is 720 but that is supposed to change). I also still have DTV. I pipped my screen and watched Voom & DTV side by side on the Discovery channel. No difference, they were both 1080i HiDef. Are you using components or DVI?

LOL my brother just dropped his kid off here and now we are in the age old argument over over Tv's (his Hitachi 53) or my Sony being better.
An argument that has no winners!!LOL

Too your second point.
I am using both and the components seem better then my DVI.
In fact I have a hole other thread on that here on VOOM>

Told my wife just now I off too look at 42 inch plasmas to fix my need for HD SPPEEEDDD!!

Thanks all.

iceshark said:
One feature on the Sony XBR's is too auto correct all 16.9 to fill screen (stretch)
If I had to compare stretched HD to normal SD, I would probably choose SD too! :yes

As for the difference in PQ between VOOM and Comcast, how would you compare OTA HD?

Ilya said:
If I had to compare stretched HD to normal SD, I would probably choose SD too! :yes

As for the difference in PQ between VOOM and Comcast, how would you compare OTA HD?

sorry I think I confused you and myself. The HD is not strethced it is normal as compared to my LCD screen. It is the SD that it has to strech in 16.9 mode on my tv. But I turned that function off so I get normal SD but in a box
It sucks so that is why I have all three possible inputs off the VOOM box used so I can swithch to normal rca out to have filled screen SD when watching it. It is kinda of a pain for wife to switch between inputs but I dont mind.

OFA locals in HD vary in performance.
NBC is AWESOME here in Seattle. It really smokes! Watch late night shows and they are SHARP!
Abc here local in HD is OKAY to Marginal.
Cbs Cant remember seeing anything in HD so I will go back and check.
Fox is not HD in this market.

have a great day.

iceshark said:
The HD is not strethced it is normal as compared to my LCD screen.
Well, if it's not stretched, then you must see black bars at the top and at the bottom of your screen when watching most of HD programs. This effectively reduces the size of your (viewable) screen to around 33" (diagonal). The point Rick214 was trying to make. And the smaller the screen, the less noticeable the difference between HD and SD.

As for OTA, you wrote:
When I had Comcast cable ... there was a noticable differance watching ... local like Jay leno ...
Does Jay Leno (HD) look better on Comcast than he does through VOOM STB (OTA)? This could help us understand if you have some problems with your STB or its connections.

Ice, http://www.plasmavision.com/prodcomp_HT.html

This is the Fujitsu plasma web site. Money and PQ will guide you. This is one part of life that you get what you pay for!

My guy here in LA is an old friend so I get a break. The lower end 42 is still hi end.

BTW- My neighbor just sold a old 36 XBR wega on ebay for 700 bucks (6 years old) and he sold it as local pickup only, so don't worry about not shipping. Cost him about 20 bucks for listing and end of sale fees.

Good luck!

Ilya said:
Well, if it's not stretched, then you must see black bars at the top and at the bottom of your screen when watching most of HD programs. This effectively reduces the size of your (viewable) screen to around 33" (diagonal). The point Rick214 was trying to make. And the smaller the screen, the less noticeable the difference between HD and SD.

As for OTA, you wrote:
Does Jay Leno (HD) look better on Comcast than he does through VOOM STB (OTA)? This could help us understand if you have some problems with your STB or its connections.

Dont have Comcast anylonger but by memory I believe both looked about the same. And yes I am using letterbox.
As I said in last post OFA thru Voom box NBC HD is probably one of my best HD channels. Funny though I dont see a whole lot of differance from Dvi to standard Rca jack 480I they both look strong.

Real differance was COmcast INhd1 and 2 channels and DiscoveryHD and EspnHD looked way sharper on Comcast then on VOom. I could toggle between Dishnetwork SD of same channels at same time vs thier HD conterparts on Comcast and I could clearly see the HD differance.
If I now do the same with dishnetwork SD same progarams vs VOom HD.
I dont see a big differance. Nothing to do with tv set

Most of VOOM is upconverted anyway...

There is precious little true HD content on VOOM or the channels that are supposedly high-def. Upconverted HD to many people looks the same if not worse than a perfect feed of SD (independent blind test have shown people are not impressed by upconversion and the quality of that upconversion varies wildly) viewed on a high quality SD TV.

4DTVZOMBIE said:
There is precious little true HD content on VOOM or the channels that are supposedly high-def. Upconverted HD to many people looks the same if not worse than a perfect feed of SD (independent blind test have shown people are not impressed by upconversion and the quality of that upconversion varies wildly) viewed on a high quality SD TV.

Makes total sense too me after watciing for a month. Lets hope they change something.

By the way My 4Dtv rocks. In fact I would put my digital side picture up against Vooms best HD channel on blind test and I bet the cbander would win!

Ah the good old days of BUD! ;)

iceshark said:
Funny though I dont see a whole lot of differance from Dvi to standard Rca jack 480I they both look strong.
And that's what I find really strange! I have no way of comparing VOOM vs. Comcast, but what sounds really strange to me that you don't see much difference between HD and SD. For many of us here this difference is so dramatic, that we rarely watch SD channels any more. That's why I suspect it actually might have something to do with your TV, your STB, or your setup. The size and the shape of your TV might be partially responsible for that, but may be there is something else. I am just trying to figure out what it is.

4DTVZOMBIE said:
4DTVZOMBIE,

Welcome to the forum!

Sorry, but you are not correct. Most of the programming on VOOM Exclusive channels is true HD, including original HD transfers of old movies and original programs shot in HD. Some movies are old and grainy, but they are still HD.

Ilya said:
And that's what I find really strange! I have no way of comparing VOOM vs. Comcast, but what sounds really strange to me that you don't see much difference between HD and SD. For many of us here this difference is so dramatic, that we rarely watch SD channels any more. That's why I suspect it actually might have something to do with your TV, your STB, or your setup. The size and the shape of your TV might be partially responsible for that, but may be there is something else. I am just trying to figure out what it is.

DONT GIVE UP!. I totally appreciate your help.

I am perplexed as well.
I have all but ruled out the set becuse of the example I gave you .

Comcast 1 month ago HD vs. switching over to SD dish (I had and still have dish also. dont want to give up my DVR) was like night and day HD on Comcast was very outstanding vs Dish.

Just alittle while ago I put on my VOOM in HD top bar 1080I with Hockey game on in HD. THen I switched thru my inputs to Voom box.
First DVI, then Components, then Rca. Here is what I saw.
1.DVi- Flat but basicly clean faded color pic with smooth edges.
2. Component-Lots more color then DVI and sharper. Kind of a red push compared with DVI, but definanatly looks better then dvi.
3.Rca- More red push then Components and colors sharper then DVI but more washed out of focus then DVI or component. and one thing I noticed was score board was clearer on background on DVI and Component vs RCA>
But all in all If you were to put ten people in a room and switch between the three I would bet they would not pay extra for anyone vs the other as HD.

Just for arguments sake I also went up to screen to see if lines of res differance was noticable. It did not appear any different in any mode.

The TV is correctly going full widescreen on any VOom HD channel when turned to.

Also My STB has off and on locked up on me (seperate post thread )

Just dont know.
I am about to borrow friends Voom STB and see if it looks any different.
THnks.

One more thing.
The 10 exclusive channels especially Worldsport and rave do look HD sharp most of the time. Just nothing to compare with>!

iceshark said:
DONT GIVE UP!. I totally appreciate your help.

I am perplexed as well.
I have all but ruled out the set becuse of the example I gave you .

Comcast 1 month ago HD vs. switching over to SD dish (I had and still have dish also. dont want to give up my DVR) was like night and day HD on Comcast was very outstanding vs Dish.

Just alittle while ago I put on my VOOM in HD top bar 1080I with Hockey game on in HD. THen I switched thru my inputs to Voom box.
First DVI, then Components, then Rca. Here is what I saw.
1.DVi- Flat but basicly clean faded color pic with smooth edges.
2. Component-Lots more color then DVI and sharper. Kind of a red push compared with DVI, but definanatly looks better then dvi.
3.Rca- More red push then Components and colors sharper then DVI but more washed out of focus then DVI or component. and one thing I noticed was score board was clearer on background on DVI and Component vs RCA>
But all in all If you were to put ten people in a room and switch between the three I would bet they would not pay extra for anyone vs the other as HD.

Just for arguments sake I also went up to screen to see if lines of res differance was noticable. It did not appear any different in any mode.

The TV is correctly going full widescreen on any VOom HD channel when turned to.

Also My STB has off and on locked up on me (seperate post thread )

Just dont know.
I am about to borrow friends Voom STB and see if it looks any different.
THnks.
Not your stb-Voom pq is notoriously "soft" and those that have the ability to compare to other services such as you and I can see that-those that don't can't see what their missing-Voom's new slogan should be "The leader in washed-out hd", what a shame-so much potential, so little sharp hd pq-C'MON VOOM-Fix that washed out look before you begin to hemorage investors and subs.-what a shame, what a shame(sniffle sniffle)

iceshark said:
Makes total sense too me after watciing for a month. Lets hope they change something.

Huh? Doesn't make any sense to me. Film converted to HD can be, and is, truly excellent in picture quality.

Go rent a DVD of one of those supposed crappy upconverts V* produces from film and then do a comparison. It will be an eye opener.

eschu97611 said:
Not your stb-Voom pq is notoriously "soft" and those that have the ability to compare to other services such as you and I can see that-those that don't can't see what their missing-Voom's new slogan should be "The leader in washed-out hd", what a shame-so much potential, so little sharp hd pq-C'MON VOOM-Fix that washed out look before you begin to hemorage investors and subs.-what a shame, what a shame(sniffle sniffle)

Total bogus info. I kept D* for a month after I got V* installed and the quality is easily on par. I A-B'd the hell out of it with both the V* STB and my HD200 STB connected via DVI thru a Gefen switch.

Mr. Biggles said:
Total bogus info. I kept D* for a month after I got V* installed and the quality is easily on par. I A-B'd the hell out of it with both the V* STB and my HD200 STB connected via DVI thru a Gefen switch.
Respectfully disagree-when I want true, crisp HD I find myself watching D* admittedly limited offerings-when I want pq much better than SD but not truley sharp HD, I watch Voom-such a shame, such a shame-so much potential, so little hd sharpness???????

Okay..folks.

I know I'm not high, I don't drink or do drugs. So what's a matter with me?

I watched Judge Dredd last night on HBOHD at 11:30 PST and WOW blanking wow. Game last night, wow.

I won't do the whole 1080/720 dance with you all. I know true HD when I see it. I have a real native HD 16:9 plasma.

I've had a SAT200 with Mark's channel and it looked great. The DS on Ruperts looked just Voom. Content will vary the PQ. Is Voom perfect? But they are a hell of a lot better than Rupert or Charlie.

So many Voom haters and so little time!

Seawaves said:
Okay..folks.

I know I'm not high, I don't drink or do drugs. So what's a matter with me?

I watched Judge Dredd last night on HBOHD at 11:30 PST and WOW blanking wow. Game last night, wow.

I won't do the whole 1080/720 dance with you all. I know true HD when I see it. I have a real native HD 16:9 plasma.

I've had a SAT200 with Mark's channel and it looked great. The DS on Ruperts looked just Voom. Content will vary the PQ. Is Voom perfect? But they are a hell of a lot better than Rupert or Charlie.

So many Voom haters and so little time!
Always time for improvement, always time for that-lol

I'm getting re-peaked

after 1 week with VOOM

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)