RCA 751R yagi outdoor antenna

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
No I just thought I would run the cable From the chimney threw my window to the front of the roof down to my window and to the tv

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No I just thought I would run the cable From the chimney threw my window to the front of the roof down to my window and to the tv
Cable doesn't pass through siding, wood or glass without a hole of some sort. If your plan was to close the window on the cable, you may need a special flat cable and a couple more connectors and couplers. Coming up through the floor or down from an attic is preferred to drilling a hole in the side of a home or window frame.

Bringing the cable in through a soffet vent or crawlspace access hole can save some drilling.

"Close" and 100' of cable mean two decidedly different things.

We're interested in your success but you need to be very specific in the answers to our questions or we may steer you the wrong way until we figure out what's really going on.

Do you have a plan for getting the cable from outside the house to inside?
Thank you Harshness I was getting sick of the non answers to questions.

As for my so called non answers
I am doing this on the spot with no plan but I just found out my roomate
Had the house wired with RG 58 in
Both outlets so change of plans
So now I see a difference my roommate is running the cable from
The antenna to the back of the house to the the rg 58 in the back of the house

Let's hope he used RB59, RG58 is 50 ohm, you need 75 ohm RG59.

RG59 is a little bit more lossy than RG6 but for short runs it will do.

We are going to run RG6 from the antenna to the input in back of the house we’re the RG 58 plus in is located connect the rg58 plus to the rg6 with a adopter

$30.54

MPD Digital RF UHF VHF HF coaxial cable SMA male to N female pitail extension adapter Coax RG-58, 20 inches

RG58 is not suitable for carrying OTA (or cable or satellite TV) signals unless used with matching transformers at both ends to make up for the impedance difference that Jim5506 correctly noted. This mismatch will also make using splitters and couplers a big problem as most F connectors and splitters are also 75 ohm. Understanding the importance of impedance matching involves an understanding of the Physics of power transfer but suffice it to say that a mismatch will significantly degrade the signal levels and likely create some nasty reflections within the cabling.

A fairly definitive guide to the RG designations is here: Coaxial Cable Specifications Cables Chart - RF Cafe

Please check the inside wiring again to confirm what is there. RG59 is what was used for TV up until about 30 years ago when cable TV had a lot fewer channels (many OTA installations before that used 300 ohm "twinlead"). The chart I linked to includes the outside diameters of the cables so if you can't read the markings, you should be able to measure the diameter and figure out what's in place (RG59 is just shy of 1/4" in OD).

He says the rg 58 plus is 75 ohm
And works great with tv when he wired it 8 years ago
Until he figures out the rg58 won’t work then I will deal with it
Till then I will keep my antenna on my front porch with my new 30 FT RG6
And watch tv LOLl

Last edited:
He says the rg 58 plus is 75 ohm
He is wrong.
And works great with tv when he wired it 8 years ago
This is really only useful if he was receiving the Canadian stations eight years ago.

As I said, you can verify what the cable actually is by measuring the diameter of its jacket. Calipers are best, but a tape measure or ruler will do.

Are you sure it’s RG58? Could you be confusing it with RG59? Maybe taking a picture of the label on the cable could help.

Ok everyone I went to the basement just now took a few pictures
Here is the wireing
IMG_2513.JPG

IMG_2514.JPG

This is all TV cable (one might even be RG6 quad shield). You should be good to go but for the fact that the signal is being split four ways.

The connector on the upper left wasn't done right as the sleeve isn't swaged all the way on (it may not have been crimped at all).

The middle port in the upper row of three is the splitter input. It is also important to know that this splitter is not power-passing so if you find that you need a pre-amp, you'll have to swap the splitter out for one that passes DC power.

Cable doesn't pass through siding, wood or glass without a hole of some sort. If your plan was to close the window on the cable, you may need a special flat cable and a couple more connectors and couplers. Coming up through the floor or down from an attic is preferred to drilling a hole in the side of a home or window frame.

Bringing the cable in through a soffet vent or crawlspace access hole can save some drilling.
Are the flat cables any good?

Are the flat cables any good?
Flat cables represent a compromise between optimum power transfer and getting any signal at all in through a door or window. Their loss tends to be pretty high and they have a high potential to cause reflections (leading to multipath). I've seen some newer flat cables that look more like ribbons and they may (or may not) be better than the old smashed coax cables.

514YKr%2BgdEL._SX679_.jpg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)