Received notification about a TV survey...

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I remember back when I had my repair shops in the 90's, Neilson installed a box in some TVs, rather than having people do the survey. Most times the install on them looked like real crap, I never really understood why the people with nice sets would let them install the things.

If I remember right, the units connected to the phone line and transmitted whatever information was gathered. The people that I saw with those boxes installed in/on their TVs always seemed to be above average as far as financially, which made me tend to believe their ratings weren't the best because they seemed to cater to only select, wealthy people.

My aunt had that. They installed a separate phone line, which she had to pay for after they took out their equipment.

Reactions: . Raine
I got my Nielson packet about a week ago and sent it off. I got one last spring but didn't even open it until right before the new one came and it had $5 in it all that time. The new one had $2 or $3 in it. I always fill them out and hear back from them about every ten years except last spring. I had a lot going on then and didn't have time for it. I filled one out for my ex a few years ago when one was mailed out at her house.

I had a Customer that had Primestar and they said that in order for me to switch them to Dish Network it had to work with the Neilson box I told them there is no reason why it shouldn't. Nielson ended up swapping my equipment for a different model Dish Network satellite receiver and caused me a chargeback. I disputed it and got my commissions (incentives) back. Do they use those boxes anymore?
Typical Dish to charge you back

I wonder what Nielsen does when you got a pirated box that gets all the channels for free :)

Reactions: Stargazer
I did the same thing a few years back only it was regarding radio stations.Got the same info and cash...about enough to buy a cup of coffee! :biggrin

I received the survey earlier this year with 3 x$1 bills attached.
I called up and went through a survey about members in my home, TV s, etc
They will then mail you every month a blank notepad to fill in shows, time, how you rate the shoes, etc
In exchange you accumulate points to get junk stuff that is in a catalog.

Today the Orange envelope arrived...
SAM_6360.JPG

Contents
SAM_6358.JPG

And a portion of the survey which includes, a question inquiring about satellite dish sizes (i.e., question 4)
SAM_6359.JPG

Most of the remainder of the survey is writing down what is watched (as long as it is over 5 minutes viewing).

Reactions: fred555
See if it would say "other" in a list put your channels there.

The closest is the last page: "Please...use the space below to comment about TV in general. You may wish to comment about local programming, such as news, etc. Also, you may wish to list here any favorite programs you were unable to watch this week."

I figure maybe list a few birds and the channels I'd actually watch on them . A $channel ITC, RT/NHK on 103W, and some on 97W.

Just my opinion (for what it's worth :rolleyes:) but personally I would not be offering any info on channels we watch via FTA, even those that have been ITC for years. Open doors can be closed very easily, especially by big companies who think they may be able to squeeze a few more dollars into their bottom line. Just my two cents... :)

Yeah, at least the $ channel... I doubt NTAi or 3ABN would really mind being mentioned as existing, but those that are usually part of a pay package might be paying Nielsen for the info and hit a switch on their uplink.

Edit: Just checked lyngsat, and RT/NHK are listed publicly on 103W. Couldn't remember if they were mentionable or not...

Reactions: FTA4PA
Nielsen makes their money informing broadcasters, content providers and advertisers where and how many people are watching their programming and advertising. I completely agree with FTA4PA that it is not a great idea to let bean counters know that people are watching feeds and bypassing the end product.

In the big picture, they won't have a category for your viewing habits and the information is not likely to increase FTA content.

Just my opinion (for what it's worth :rolleyes:) but personally I would not be offering any info on channels we watch via FTA, even those that have been ITC for years. Open doors can be closed very easily, especially by big companies who think they may be able to squeeze a few more dollars into their bottom line. Just my two cents... :)
Nielsen makes their money informing broadcasters, content providers and advertisers where and how many people are watching their programming and advertising. I completely agree with FTA4PA that it is not a great idea to let bean counters know that people are watching feeds and bypassing the end product.
In the big picture, they won't have a category for your viewing habits and the information is not likely to increase FTA content.

I was figuring along the same lines with the survey. However, I have to say that since the majority of the time the TV is on PBS (esp. the PBS kids shows) and since I can get it on antenna from Oklahoma, the form I sent back was accurate in that respect. The question about having a dish 4' or greater is interesting, but only have guesses as to why they're asking.

Another thought: they want to know what dvr'd stuff we watch, but a lot of it is from when we lived on the east coast. I guess those channels will be listed on the last page. (mostly PBS).

I think the intention on DVR'd stuff is something you've recently recorded and watched later in the day or on the weekend.

On another note, I checked the 'Dish 4-foot or greater' box. The form I sent back had the local station ID and channel numbers from the antenna and shows watched. They called me to ask which cable or satellite company I subscribed to because I checked that box...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts