Recordings to external hard drives?

CaseLogic

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 13, 2008
With the 722, is this possible? I know it allows for an external HD but can you actually grab your recordings with it?

There is no dishnetwork tuner built into any external hard. This is why all recording need to be recorded on the receiver,then transfered to the External hard drive. The Extenal setting is used to hookup a pocket dish to record to.

Perhaps that will be possible in tandem with the HD option on the 211/411?

There is no dishnetwork tuner built into any external hard. This is why all recording need to be recorded on the receiver,then transfered to the External hard drive. The Extenal setting is used to hookup a pocket dish to record to.

It's not really the lack of a tuner in the drive, it's the 622/722 software doesn't allow it to record directly to anything other than the internal drive.

The 622 shows that option

With the 722, is this possible? I know it allows for an external HD but can you actually grab your recordings with it?

I noticed the other day there is an option on the menu to record to EHD, which I would presume means External Hard Drive, but I haven't tried it yet.

So, you're not as loony as some may think! Or, if you are, I am too!:)

Is there a way to setup EHD to where you can partition it and the DVR only recognizes that partition as the whole hard drive while you keep files on the rest of it?

I imagine once they release the software to the 211/411 to record directly to the EHD to make it a DVR that they would also allow the ViP HD DVR's to do this.

I wish there was a quicker way to transfer the recordings as it seems like it would take forever to transfer 100-200 hours of shows if one had to, especially if you had HD recordings. I would have thought that the transfer time would have been much less than this especially with SD.

No, it repartitions the whole drive.

I asked at TeamSummit about recording directly to the EHD, and they said there wasn't enough bandwidth on the USB port to allow that and all that customers would expect (Trick play/multiple streams/etc).

LER

You can get programs to the EHD in one step, I have done it. I don't know the technical jazz but apparently the programs are recorded to the internal storage (in my case it appears as TV2/ehd) and then automatically get transferred to the EHD. I say apparently because knowledgeable people have said that it is impossible to go directly to the EHD. I have a Group Folder for "My Media" that contains everything on the EHD, so it seems that you cannot group by title across the USB boundary. In summary, you can record "directly" to the EHD in that the process is invisible (sort of) to you.

The transfer between the internal and external is rather slow, so for large moves (100MB+), I let it run overnight. In any case, the transfer is in the background so it doesn't interfere with watching other stuff. I have allocated various shows to the EHD and now it is just a matter of remembering to send them to the right place. I play directly from the EHD (as opposed to transfer back and play) and can't tell the difference.

Now if somebody can tell me how to sort on the EHD.......:D

You can get programs to the EHD in one step, I have done it. I don't know the technical jazz but apparently the programs are recorded to the internal storage (in my case it appears as TV2/ehd) and then automatically get transferred to the EHD. I say apparently because knowledgeable people have said that it is impossible to go directly to the EHD. I have a Group Folder for "My Media" that contains everything on the EHD, so it seems that you cannot group by title across the USB boundary. In summary, you can record "directly" to the EHD in that the process is invisible (sort of) to you.

You'll have to enlighten us how you record directly to the EHD and/or automatically move them to the EHD. To my knowledge this cannot be done and you are the only one I have ever seen claim it can done.

If you cannot record directly to the hard drive then how does Dish Network expect to use an external hard drive on the 211/411 to make it a DVR?

Wish u could delete some scenes like commercials before transferring to external hard drive or even external hard drive would nice to have a feather u could delete some parts u don’t need, I think that would be great idea dish come up with too.

You'll have to enlighten us how you record directly to the EHD and/or automatically move them to the EHD. To my knowledge this cannot be done and you are the only one I have ever seen claim it can done.

(If you cannot see the post, change your font color.)

Sure, please forgive formatting errors.
This assumes that the EHD installed, formatted, connected and otherwise ready to go.
Let’s say my program of choice is “The Best of Lawrence Welk”

PART I - RECORDING

I go to a guide that contains the desired program.
I highlight the program and press “Select”
I get a page entitled “Create Timer”
on the right side is the column with these buttons:

Create Timer
Set Priority
Options
DISH Pass
Cancel
Help

On the left side, in the light blue box there are two columns, Type and Frequency.

TYPE...............FREQUENCY

[ ] DVR........[ ] All Episodes
[ ] Auto tune..[ ] New Episodes
[ ] Reminder...[ ] Once
[ ] Ext........[ ] Weekly
...............[ ] Daily
...............[ ] Mon-Fri

Start Early: xmin (“x” if you have set this value, otherwise 0)
End Late: ymin ("y" if you have set this value, otherwise 0)
Maximum Events for This Timer: All

Let’s say I want “Ext” (obviously) and “All Episodes.” I fill in the little box next to them and press “Create Timer”

A Message Appears

Attention 531
Please wait while we search for
events that match your request

Sometimes I get a 532 Timer Conflict Resolution message. I resolve the conflict and hit OK.

That’s it!

PART II - RETRIEVAL

To retrieve the program, I press DVR and get these choices:

My Recordings.......................1
Movies & More.......................2
TV Entertainment....................3
My Media............................4
DishONLINE..........................5
Naked Pictures of Charlie Ergen.....6
Cancel..............................0

I choose #4 and get

DISH Recording
Manage Device 1
Send to Device 2

Photo
Manage Device 3
Get from Device 4

Cancel 0

I choose “1” and get the Video: USB Storage page

Depending on what I last did “Lawrence Welk” may the first in the list or I may have to scroll down to find it. I fill in the little square next to the title.
The page says something like “700.0 GB Available, 334 MB Selected “(that’s LW). Then I choose “Play” from the Restore/Play/Delete/Done/Help stack. Wait a couple of seconds and I’m enjoying champagne music and Da Lovely Lennon Sisters.

Preguntas hay? (I don't know exactly how the magic works but it does and that's good enough for me (for now)).

Waxing Philosophically

When folks make statements like:

You need a new smart card to get EA programming.
You cannot record directly to an EHD.
[insert your own favorite statement of absolutivity]:(

I interpret them as meaning "As far as I know,......" Using adverbs like always, never, etc. is rarely justified. Let's face it, a lot of people here know more than the ace Dish CSR. But everybody's situation is a little different and we may not know their details (or even our own). Sometimes we lurch uncontrollably into new information or the right answer:eureka (apologies to John McLaughlin :eek:). I am new and may not understand all of your customs but I come in peace, err, the spirit of sharing information to increase everbody's level of Sat TV enjoyment. I believe I speak for others when I say oneupsmanship, blackballing and skewering the less educated :mad: is counterproductive and tacky. If you want to have a clique, simply close the board to outsiders. Chasing them away one at a time via abuse may get you the same result but is inefficient. Just my opinion. This post is not necessarily targeted at anything in this thread, it just seemed like a good opportunity......

What receiver do you have and what software version do you have that shows the EXT option. My 622s do not have this option.

And I thought the EXT option (I've seen it discussed before) was for something other than an external hard drive, more for a VCR or PocketDish, in that it just turns the box on and tunes to the correct channel so some other device can record the program.

In regard to your last post, you'll note my first response included "to my knowledge". :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)