Recordings to external hard drives?

I have feeling he will not come back.

Jeez, can't a guy take a couple of days off? What can I say? I was absolutely, completely, totally wrong. I misunderstood what an EHD is. I apologize to everyone and ask for your forgiveness and understanding. Perhaps this capability will be available down the road. I am sure that everybody will accept, this being a enormous embarrassment, my declining to discuss the issue further. Thanks.

Software changes will need to be made to accomplish this. But as of right now you cannot record directly to an external hard drive.

YOu can't? There's no option for it? And there asking for a fee to be able to use it? . Anyone know how to activate this without paying the 40 dollar 'activation fee'? That's a little steep for something I have to buy myself and setup myself, no?

No. The EHD is just fine as an archive device.
No it is not! It's just one device, and when it crumps, all recordings will forever be lost unless the files can be copied somewhere else. Correct me if I'm wrong, but when you move a recording onto the EHD, it gets deleted from the receiver. Only one copy exists, and that is by design.

Now I haven't paid my $40 yet, so I can't try this. But you may be able to copy the files off to your computer, while leaving them on the EHD, and then as a 2nd act copy them back onto a different drive (should your first drive fail). Notice that this doesn't decrypt anything for playback anywhere other than your Dish receivers. Has anybody tried this?

Dish and Charley have repeatedly stated that they intend to make the 211 then 222 capable of recording to the external drive, like a DVR, they say, (I believe this was demonstrated at one of the trade shows--there may even be a video of this taken by Scott or posted on You Tube) but they never stated what limitations there would be because, as an earlier post already stated, it would seem that USB would be insufficient for the trick play. eSATA, on the other hand, would provide sufficient speed/bandwidth for the trick play, etc., but the ViP series has only USB for external drives.

So, I don't doubt that the 211 and 222 will eventually allow us to record directly to the external drive, but Dish has been short on specifics.

Last edited:
At the very least you should be able to ghost the drive to another of the same model (unless the encryption seed is somehow based on drive serial number, as well as the household key). Anyone ever tried this? It doesn't seem like it would violate any of the rules to do this, as it's still only playable on receivers within your household (or at least on your account).

No it is not! It's just one device, and when it crumps, all recordings will forever be lost unless the files can be copied somewhere else. Correct me if I'm wrong, but when you move a recording onto the EHD, it gets deleted from the receiver. Only one copy exists, and that is by design.

Now I haven't paid my $40 yet, so I can't try this. But you may be able to copy the files off to your computer, while leaving them on the EHD, and then as a 2nd act copy them back onto a different drive (should your first drive fail). Notice that this doesn't decrypt anything for playback anywhere other than your Dish receivers. Has anybody tried this?
Decryption of this material is de-facto piracy.

On the other hand, you can mount a Dish EHD as an Linux drive on your PC or laptop and copy it, no problem. You can make hundreds of copies of your EHD if you want.

Jeez, can't a guy take a couple of days off? What can I say? I was absolutely, completely, totally wrong. I misunderstood what an EHD is. I apologize to everyone and ask for your forgiveness and understanding. Perhaps this capability will be available down the road. I am sure that everybody will accept, this being a enormous embarrassment, my declining to discuss the issue further. Thanks.

Thanks, apology accepted. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)