Reed Switch

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bpalone

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 1, 2014
44N 105W
Just received my new ASC1 and have been having same issues I've had with other controllers. After some trouble shooting, I have come to the conclusion that the issue is one of two things:

1. sticking reed switch

2. magnet is either to weak or to strong

Fixing to go looking for a replacement reed switch.

This has been an intermittent issue, as it will work some times and others not.

Anyone, have any other thoughts?

What actuator do you have and what type of wire is running to it? How long? Solid run?
Is the wire grounded on one end?

Cheapy Superjack. Have had wheel and reed switch out. Appears to be normally open and will respond to the wheel when out. I have since seen a photo on the internet of same name actuator, that shows the reed switch installed rotated 90 degrees from the way mine is. Will try that in the daylight tomorrow, as from some technical data found it does appear the position may have an effect on how well a reed switch works.

When installed, the switch seems to stay closed about 99.9% of the time (Except for when it is working.). Started inside and when I didn't see a bobble with my analog meter and it indicated a dead short or connectivity if you will, I moved out to the actuator and found that the reed was closed and not opening.

Maybe daylight and a 90 degree rotate may make a difference.

Are you saying that the switch is stuck closed when the magnet is removed? While this is a sign of an aging or failing reed, have had the same problem with Superjacks new out of box. A good thump with a screwdriver handle often gets them operational again (until a new Venture Maxi is delivered) :D

Problem got identified this morning. Got lucky and caught the intermittent problem when it was being a problem. The reed was sticking closed. Had it inside and hooked up to the meter and pulled the magnet away and it stayed closed. I happened to have a couple of NO reed switches in parts drawer from a Jameco grab bag years ago. One of them is currently duct taped in place, until I get a correct replacement.

Lone Gunman, I will get a picture of it later today.

Titanium, I have a Venture setting in the garage waiting for me to check it out and be sure that all that is wrong is a bent eye on the end. Had just drug out the Superjack to use until I get around to checking the Venture out. Someone, whose name we won't mention thought he didn't need to set the mechanical limits. He then had a run away and smucked things up pretty good.

Reactions: Titanium
Here is a picture of the reed switch. I took the leads off to hook up the temporary replacement.

Attachments

• Superjack_Reed_Switch.jpg
    Superjack_Reed_Switch.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 228
Sorry, I forgot about this but yup, that's the same one I have here. I think they are still available as I purchased one a couple of years back but can't remember where.

You shouldn't have to wait long from digikey. I have ordered from them before and got all my goodies the next day shipped from the US to Canada. I had to have it shipped to my work place to get next day international shipping though.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts