Federal Communications Commission
445 Twelfth Street, S.W.
Washington, DC 20554

Re: Request for Special Temporary Authority for In-Orbit Testing of
DIRECTV 10 at 102.6° W.L.
Call Sign: S2641

Dear Ms. Dortch:

DIRECTV Enterprises, LLC (“DIRECTV”) hereby requests Special Temporary
Authority (“STA”) to locate the DIRECTV 10 satellite at the 102.6° W.L. orbital location
for in-orbit testing (“IOT”) after launch of the satellite, which is currently scheduled for
early July 2007. DIRECTV also requests that this authority cover the use of Ka-band
frequencies for telemetry, tracking and command (“TT&C”) functions for a period
commencing upon reaching 102.6° W.L. through migration of the satellite to its licensed
position at the nominal 103° W.L. location. This STA will cover a period of
approximately 30 days, which DIRECTV requests be keyed to become effective upon the
satellite’s arrival at 102.6° W.L.

DIRECTV 10 is fully constructed and scheduled for launch early next month.
DIRECTV desires to conduct IOT for approximately four weeks before moving the
satellite slightly to its licensed position to begin commercial operations. Specifically,
DIRECTV contemplates the following schedule [with approximate dates indicated in
brackets]:

• After launch and orbit raising maneuvers, DIRECTV 10 will be located at
102.6° W.L. [on or about August 17, 2007].

• After DIRECTV 10 reaches 102.6° W.L., DIRECTV will then commence
IOT of the satellite [from about August 17, 2007 to September 12, 2007].1

• After IOT is completed, DIRECTV 10 will then be drifted to its assigned
location over the course of approximately three days [reaching that orbital
position on or about September 15, 2007].

Operation and testing of DIRECTV 10 during this maneuver will not result in
harmful interference to other satellite systems. The only other co-frequency satellites
located within two degrees of arc are DIRECTV 8 and DIRECTV 9S, operating at
100.85° W.L. and 101.1° W.L., respectively, and DIRECTV anticipates no difficulty in
coordinating the operations of its satellites. DIRECTV will also coordinate its TT&C
operations during drift with all other potentially affected operators to ensure that no
harmful interference results. Furthermore, DIRECTV is prepared to terminate all testing
operations immediately upon notification from the Commission that its operations cause
harmful interference to any authorized user of the spectrum.

Grant of this STA request will serve the public interest by allowing DIRECTV to
test the DIRECTV 10 satellite to ensure that it is fully operational and ready to begin
providing service to millions of DIRECTV subscribers from the satellite’s licensed
orbital location. Allowing DIRECTV to test the satellite at 102.6° W.L. will serve the
public interest by minimizing the risk of interference. Accordingly, and in light of the
impending launch date, DIRECTV requests the expeditious grant of special temporary
authority.

I don't recall seeing any mention of live launch coverage of DIRECTV 10 - but ILS confirms that it will indeed have a live webcast on its website:

07 June 2007 ILS Communications Team 16:12, EDT
ILS provides live coverage of pre-launch and launch events for every one of our commercial Proton launches. We encourage you to check the site regularly for updates and to bookmark the webcast page when we post it.

i'm sure that directv will broadcast the launch on one of its channels. i believe they broadcast the spaceway launches.

The term vaporware also generally lends itself to mean items that are talked up AND also never likely intended to EVER be launched. So in this case, or cases like this, the term does not apply.

Hey - I've come to realize that there are those that are unwilling to face the inevitable - that's what I don't understand.

And since I feel they post simply to get a 'reaction' - I don't think its worth engaging in any kind of discussion any more - so let them have their opinion - that's how I feel.

I think that we won't have to deal with it much longer quite frankly.

I think that we won't have to deal with it much longer quite frankly.

I am sure they will find something else to complain about. Look how many posts around the 100 count and full time versus part time channels. All I know is if 100 channels of whatever mix gives me 8 hours of exactly the HD I want to watch, the channel count can be 10, 50 or 100. I really dont care. I am extremely excited about the future of HD and Directv right now. I dont want summer to go away but really looking forward to the Fall.

Brewer - I share your feelings - and obviously the DirecTV sub base does also - at least the overwhelming majority seems to. And as we know, you can NEVER please everybody!

Something tells me its MORE likely they will be 40 HD channels AHEAD of the competition pretty soon.
I would just like you to name the multitude of non-RSN HD channels that D* will be carrying in Sept. that E* DOES NOT ALREADY carry? More than likely when D10 is lit up, D* will increase their non-RSN HD programming to existing E* levels minus the VOOM channels. Both sat companies will then wait for the new HD programming to come online. Both companies will add the various channels in different orders. Some will be available one month on D* and then available the next on E* and vice versa. D*'s advantage will be in the HD sports programming. There is no denying that D* leads and will continue to lead in that area. However in non-sports related HD programming, I don't see E* giving up its lead.

I would just like you to name the multitude of non-RSN HD channels that D* will be carrying in Sept. that E* DOES NOT ALREADY carry? More than likely when D10 is lit up, D* will increase their non-RSN HD programming to existing E* levels minus the VOOM channels. Both sat companies will then wait for the new HD programming to come online. Both companies will add the various channels in different orders. Some will be available one month on D* and then available the next on E* and vice versa. D*'s advantage will be in the HD sports programming. There is no denying that D* leads and will continue to lead in that area. However in non-sports related HD programming, I don't see E* giving up its lead.

First of all I have no doubt that more people watch the RSN-HD channels than watch the VOOM channels - so why would those not count? Or maybe both shouldn't count in national HD totals. Also, probably not the movie channels, people have to pay separately for them also, huh? Or - is it YOU that selects what does or does not count (not to me you don't).

Second, from what I read, I would expect DirecTV to have at least double the non-VOOM amount of channels (that would be 17 for DISH, correct?). My estimation is closer to 45 non-VOOM, non-RSN channels. But this is not a thread comparing DISH to DirecTV - in case you missed the title it is about the launch of a DirecTV satellite, isn't it?

But I do agree that DISH will eventually add (except the sports channels) most of the same national HD channels - of course they will. But it will take them time to catch up IMO. But so what. If you like DISH, stay with them - works for me.

But EVERY channel was vaporware until the day it was lit!
Some of the "channels" that DIRECTV is claiming are already live through other carriers, so those should be a slam dunk. To be vaporware, a product must be at least six months to a year late with no sign of general availability. Prior to that, it is just late. The HR20P is an excellent example of vaporware. VOD is arguably dodging vaporware status. DIRECTV2Go is vaporware.

The question is whether or not the eggs that DIRECTV is sitting on will hatch on schedule. Of the "channels" that they claim, there are at least as many eggs as adults.

There is already a thread in the forum devoted to the discussion of DirecTV HD channels - this one is to discuss the launch of DIRECTV 10.

Continuing the off-topic posts will lead to the thread being closed.

Thanks for cooperating!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)