Report: DIRECTV HD Satellite Launch Scheduled For july 6th

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I understand its nothing, but are delays just normal? Kinda like ext drive support and native passthrough on the Vip622?
Delays aren't normal once a launch time has been set. Up to the point that the time is determined, it is almost likely that the date will change. Changing dates don't always mean delays; occasionally, launches have moved up.

Being late is something that Boeing has elevated to a high art.

It is also notable that Boeing isn't always the hold-up. Spaceway F2 sat on the ground in Guiana for 5-1/2 months (May 25 to November 11) in 2005. According to the DirecTV Spacway F1 launch press release, Spaceway F2 was slated to launch in June 2005. In that case, I think DirecTV may have been waiting to see how Spaceway F1 turned out and that handover took 5-1/2 months. Spaceway F2 launched 1-1/2 months after Spaceway F1 came online and went into service five months later.

Just curious, is D10 the only sat on this schedule launch or is there another that is part of the payload.
Because D10 (and D11 and D12) must be delivered near their final orbits, there can only be one satellite per launch. They are also very large and very heavy.

Newer designs of the 702 are supposed to include additional maneuvering capability that will allow them more launch vehicle options.

There can be more than one satellite per payload.

true and my goal is to try to provide more substantial info as quickly as i can.
The best resource I've found for what's going on at Baikonur is anik on forums.nasaspaceflight.com. He keeps an up-to-date schedule of Russian space launches and was arguably the first to suggest that the June date was in question.

Here's his current calendar.

Here's his DirecTV 10 launch thread.

Not if an existing Boeing 702 is one of them.

I didn't know that, but I have seen more than one satellite launched at a time. I didn't know that it was only certain ones.

Harshness. Is that the best forum for all satflights? Id like to start monitoring the next two E*'s scheduled.
I cannot speak for the forum's coverage of non-Russian launches. As E11 is scheduled for Sea Launch, you're on your own. You should be able to follow AMC-14 (the "other" satellite) with anik as it is on his calendar for December 2007.

here's a statement i just received from bob mercer, directv's director of public relations:

``The launch date of D10 has slipped to july 7. there were some late processing issues in the Boeing factory but they have been resolved and we are moving forward.''

While even at this point the launch date isnt set in stone and could slip further, the main thing here for me is that Directv is comunicating with you.

You let them know that the D* subs appreciate it and it is wortwhile for them to communicate with you.

i did. i sent him a nice thank you email for his promptness and cander. i emailed him a week ago to introduce myself.....explaining the whole i was in the news business forever until my health turned bad......but now i'm a mod at satellite guys (insert nice plug here) and stressed it was my goal to provide reliable directv information to the throngs who post here!

The ground spare (D12) very probably won't be completed and at the launch site as of the launch date. There are always some unknowns and dates are soft until it actually happens.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)