Report: DirecTV plan to go all-HD ahead of schedule

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I've followed Phillip Swann's newsletter for many years and have rarely found him to be less than reputable. This is, of course, my opinion.

Regardless, Mr. Swann is merely reporting on the facts as they now stand, in that DirecTV *could* go all-HD if they chose to do so.

As the OP stated, I'll also believe it when it actually happens (and I can then hopefully take financial advantage).

TV Predictions over the years has been a leader - in passing on pure speculation. That said I actually do believe Direct could be ahead of schedule.

Swanni is kind of half right. DirecTV could add the 60 HD channels needed to go full HD, but that has nothing to do with removing SD's at the 101 slot. What I think will happen is we will see DirecTV add those channels later on this summer at D14's slot. What this is going to require is moving stuff back to D10 and D15 will replace D10 later on this year so there will be a fresh sat in orbit in case D10 dies. If I was a betting man, those moves are going to happen allot sooner than later and we could all those channels move from D14 back to D10 very very soon. (Speculation) Once that happens D14 is free'd back up so they can finish what ever transponder building that is left if it already hasn't been done, and then they can prep D14 for new national HD.

Knowing Directv they are going to want to keep some bandwidth in reserve for disaster recovery until D15 launches and beyond. If D15 goes up like D14 did then we may see a more liberal use of bandwidth. D15 going up is going to be a huge relief for Directv, especially if there are no issues with the bird. Until then keep your fingers crossed. Eventually SD's over at 101 probably will be converted over to MPEG4 and those with an HD counterpart will be dropped, going all HD. It's something that I am sure everyone at DirecTV would like to do, but it just hasn't happened yet. It will though eventually.

TV Predictions over the years has been a leader - in passing on pure speculation. That said I actually do believe Direct could be ahead of schedule.

Ya, I've already ran across incorrect information. They need a fact checker.

Well, there are some logistical problems.

First, there are more than 60 channels on DIRECTV that are only available in standard-definition. The list includes some notable nets such as Game Show Network, FXM, Disney West, NASA, El Rey, Discovery Life, Oxygen, Logo, Pivot, POP (formerly TV Guide Network), Sprout, Nickelodeon Jr., TV One, Esquire, Al Jazeera, GMAC, HSN, and some Encore movie channels.

What a complete BS lie!!!

I know for a fact NASA, POP/TVGN, Sprout, HSN, and possibly Esquire or ElRey are in fact available in HD because I've seen them for myself on CBand!!!

Reactions: Tampa8
Swanni is kind of half right. DirecTV could add the 60 HD channels needed to go full HD, but that has nothing to do with removing SD's at the 101 slot. What I think will happen is we will see DirecTV add those channels later on this summer at D14's slot. What this is going to require is moving stuff back to D10 and D15 will replace D10 later on this year so there will be a fresh sat in orbit in case D10 dies. If I was a betting man, those moves are going to happen allot sooner than later and we could all those channels move from D14 back to D10 very very soon. (Speculation) Once that happens D14 is free'd back up so they can finish what ever transponder building that is left if it already hasn't been done, and then they can prep D14 for new national HD.

Knowing Directv they are going to want to keep some bandwidth in reserve for disaster recovery until D15 launches and beyond. If D15 goes up like D14 did then we may see a more liberal use of bandwidth. D15 going up is going to be a huge relief for Directv, especially if there are no issues with the bird. Until then keep your fingers crossed. Eventually SD's over at 101 probably will be converted over to MPEG4 and those with an HD counterpart will be dropped, going all HD. It's something that I am sure everyone at DirecTV would like to do, but it just hasn't happened yet. It will though eventually.

I could see them adding the HD versions of all the channels, I think we are 3-4 years away with them completely getting rid of SD equipment.

They already took the first step eliminating the HD access fees. Not happy about the charge for the first receiver, but I see why it had to be done.

Just too many penny pinchers taking SD equipment for use on an HDTV because they where too cheap to pay the $10

A far better solution would have been making HD access optional, charging $5 for HD access and requiring MPEG 4 HD equipment on all new installs going forward.
So, were saving $4 on the bill now ?

HD access was $10, now thats not charged, but they added a $6 or is it $7 now recvr fee to cover thier losses.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)