Required equipment - suggestions?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

worldtraveller

Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Georgia
Hi Guys,

New to this satellite stuff and have finally decided to swap from my local cable company due to lack of HD availability. Was wondering if you could help me design a system and work out what it would cost (installation and per month). I would probably use Plus HD DVR package through ATT on Direct.

I have two 1080p tv's - lounge and master and would want HD on both, with a DVR on one. In the rest of the house I have 3 other locations where I would want access to TV but only one at a time - question is can I run one receiver to all 3 locations as well as having my Slingbox connect to the receiver? I would probably want HD/DVR on that one for future TV's (the DVR for my slingbox)? (all TV's viewing the same channel would not be a problem - I would locate the receiver in my office with my router and Slingbox)

Would it make any sense to buy any of these receiver's or just lease them?

I look forward to how you would suggest I do this.

Thanks

World Traveller

Since you will be a new customer, you'll probably get the best deal by going through DirecTV. They will install whatever receivers you want and the dish and the cabling. To simplify things, ask for the SWM install. The SWMLine dish can only support 8 tuners (DVR count as 2 each). If you need more than 8 then have them install the AU9 SL3 dish that has 4 outputs and then use the SWM8 multiswitch module (this way it can be expanded later).

You can connect the two HD TVs to one receiver, but both TVs would have to watch the same content (which you mentioned was not a problem).

If possible you should try to determine where you want the receivers and install the cabling and wall jacks yourself. Also, think about if you may ever rearrange furniture in the room. So in this case run additional wall jacks. Have all wall jacks run to a common location (where the dish lines would also run). Installation can be more costly if not a simple cable run. I have no idea what the installation costs above the standard install would cost. The DirecTV (or ATT) website can give you the subscription costs.

And just so you know, purchasing the receivers isn't an option. You will be leasing them (even if you 'buy' them at Best Buy or Costco)

And just so you know, purchasing the receivers isn't an option. You will be leasing them (even if you 'buy' them at Best Buy or Costco)

Thanks JosephB,

As I read more on here I just came across that - not exactly something that Best Buy makes obvious is it!!

Worldtraveller

Status
Please reply by conversation.