Review: Azbox Elite HD FTA Receiver

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I wish they offered a ATSC tuner so I could watch and record off air signals as well as satellite signals, that would rock. :)

From azbox.com web site, oficial specs:

Rear I/O: DVB-S input with Loop (at European and South American Models) or ATSC input with loop (at Northh American Models)

Where are you guys getting these boxes from now. Links to sellers in the thread are old or not working.

Thanks

FYI
New version (0.9.2880) of AZBoxEdit is posted on AzBox4YU - Powered by vBulletin and other forums.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.9.2880 AZBoxEdit
- Editor is now compatible with new FW's (New Ch.Structure) and also successfully imports old Ch.List and adapts it
simply, load old list in AZBoxEdit, then upload it in AZBox and everything will work without additional corrections in the menu
- Support added for : DVB-C, DVB-T, IPTV
- shortcut added (CTRL+Key)
- BugFix: Rename Ch.- All Ch.List

FYI
New version (0.9.2880) of AZBoxEdit is posted on AzBox4YU - Powered by vBulletin and other forums.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.9.2880 AZBoxEdit
- Editor is now compatible with new FW's (New Ch.Structure) and also successfully imports old Ch.List and adapts it
simply, load old list in AZBoxEdit, then upload it in AZBox and everything will work without additional corrections in the menu
- Support added for : DVB-C, DVB-T, IPTV
- shortcut added (CTRL+Key)
- BugFix: Rename Ch.- All Ch.List

mainly that update does nothin for us here in the states. Warning, if u load this update your motor settings will be lost.

2880 has killed some AC3 radio signals....FYI...the video/audio TV signals seem not to be affected. I have reported this to the azbox folks, as well as a request for the azbox to handle AAC audio better....

Just FYI.

And I didn't lose any disecq setting or anything this time, I didn't have any motor setting to lose so I can't comment on the above...

I DID notice on this FW that when you enter a TP it no longer gives you instant signal, you have to save, back out and scan the TP before it will give you S and Q readings.

It DOES seem like its ready for dual tuners though. BRING ON THE ATSC!

As the OP, I have to add, the Azbox is still the most complete receiver/media server I have ever used.

Only thing missing is blind scan, and the recording high bitrate stuff.... :(

I continue to heartily recommend it, even with those faults.:up

EDIT: NEVERMIND...user error... see edit at end.

?? HIGH SRs on DVB-S2 transponders ???

Has anyone here sucessfully locked transponders with SRs above 30,000 ???

I was just now looking at some DVB-S2 transponders, both on my Azbox, and on my TT3200, which is slaved to the Azbox, and effectively using the same signal.
I locked several 30,000 SR transponders on both receivers, but then I came to one that had an SR of 31249 (+/- 1 or 2 ), and it locked easily on the TT3200, but it wouldn't lock on the Azbox.
I was confused, but then I remembered that some tuners have been reported to have problems above 30,000. I don't remember seeing this as being a problem with the Azbox, but I also don't remember ever trying one over 30,000.
I double checked both the freq and SR, and fiddled with the polarity a bit, but no luck. I guess it could be a marginal signal, however the TT3200 is NOT a very sensitive receiver, so I'd really expect the Azbox to work rather than the 3200.

Anyway, is this my system or does the Azbox have a problem with high SR signals??

EDIT: I was wrong. The signal locks fine. The problem seems to be a behavior that I have seen reported, but that I thought only happened with newer firmware.
Turned out that if I exited COMPLETELY out of the add transponder window, then back into it, that then, I could scroll through the FEC values and find the one that worked. Previously, I didn't know the FEC/PILOT, so I entered the FREQ/SR, and was trying every FEC/PILOT value, and none of them worked. But after I exited that tab, then came back in, I was able to search for and find the proper value. I'm sure that I've used this technique of adding a transponder and searching for FEC/SR before, so I'm not sure what was different this time. I'm still using 0.9.2371, and I didn't think this was an issue with that firmware version.
Sorry for false alarm.

Last edited:
What I do, is add the TP info, exit from Add TP Sub Window, find new TP from the list, and adjust TP info from there, Not in the Add TP Sub Window.
If that makes sense.

It was questioned is there clone(s) of AZbox ? Yes, there is Relook 5000+ Item details: Relook HD 5000+
I don't think that would qualify as a clone.
That's more like the difference between the Diamond 9000 and ClarkeTech 5000
CLARKETECH.com - Produkte

Digiwave Satellite Wholesale Distributor - MPEG2 Digital Receivers, LNBFs, Digital Equipment, Stab Motor, Moteck Motor, Switch, CCTV Camera - Wholesale Satellite Distributor - Wholesale only

When talking about a clone, I think some type of deception is involved.
Like when the clones of the Viewsat Ultra, Coolsat 5000, and Pansats hit the market.

I think the AZBox is a knock-off of the Cuberevo Receivers

I just got the Elite today. I haven't hooked it up yet since a manual didn't come with it. But, I did find a PDF file for it and the user guide indicates that a User Guide CD-ROM should have came with it (but there isn't any). And even though I bought this from a U.S. dealer, the OTA TV in/out antenna connections aren't F connections - they look more like RCA jacks. Also, the manual states that the LNB connections are on the rear-right of the receiver but my receiver connections are labeled "LOOP" and "IF INPUT" instead of "LNB IN" and "LNB OUT". I'm trying to decide if I should send this back or try to figure out how to use it.