Review of Manhattan RS-1933

I think I found a workaround to an issue where the Manhattan finds a signal in a blind scan and writes channels to memory and after the blind scan ends, one gets a "no signal" upon trying to pull up one of the channels for a particular freq/sr. I believe it's a flaw with the ALI chip since this same situation also sometimes happens on my Openbox S10.

I found that going to the TP list and hitting the red "edit" button and changing the frequency might do the trick. On one unpublished signal, I found the Manhattan would get a lock if I changed the frequency to 1 MHz below the frequency the Manhattan found in its blind scan. I then manually re-scanned the mux using the new frequency value and the channels were written to memory and they displayed just fine when selecting that channel from the channel list.

I have only practiced it on one trouble mux so I don't know how reliable this workaround is, but it's a nice thing to have in the knowledge base if you encounter the situation of getting a "no signal" on a 24/7 service after the blind scan found it and wrote it to memory.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-fta-discussion/267396-manhattan-3-2-firmware-update-4.html

by stone1150.........Try one thing. sometimes the receiver will scan a channel in and then not display it when tuned. Going to the TP menu shows signal, going back and it drops the signal. Go to the TP menu and adjust the frequency up by 1 mhz. Save and see if that helps.

I have reported this issue several times. The last time was reported here at the above link, Post number 34. I guess nobody reads my posts......... This has been reported to Manhattan over a couple months ago and is being looked into. The motor and switch issues were considered more important so this paticular issue still needs to be addressed. Have a great day;)

The big one I run across like that is the S2 RTV mux on 137W. It logs as 4160 and the channels pop in but then no signal. I change the frequency to 4165 or even 4170 and then it works fine

. The last time was reported here at the above link, Post number 34. I guess nobody reads my posts.........
I know we discussed this a few pages back in this thread. I'm just posting what I think is a valid workaround to the issue (works best with wider signals because if the signal is narrow, a change of a mhz or two may still cause no lock because you are tuning a frequency that doesn't contain any part of the signal).

I still strongly believe it may be an ALI chip hardware flaw -- and thus likely not fixable other than the frequency change trick -- because for me to believe it's a programmer-based bug, the programmer for Openbox would have to be moonlighting for Manhattan or else the ALI chip manufacturer is giving out the same erroneous coding tech info to programmers who are writing firmware code.

The big one I run across like that is the S2 RTV mux on 137W. It logs as 4160
I'll keep my eye out on 4160 frequency signals in the future as I feed-find or recheck existing signals to see if the flaw exists on that frequency on other satellites. My big thorn is 4,020, where I've found the flaw develop on three different satellites using that particular frequency and I can confirm the workaround works on one of the three and I haven't tried the workaround procedure on other two yet.

or press OK which shows the whole list then you can use the right and left arrow to scroll through the sats you have stored....

From the Manhattan site, a statement on future plans,
"A Message To Manhattan Customers

I want to thank everyone for their input and support towards our products.

Enclosed is out latest update version 3.3 that provides updates that are listed.

Our next update will go towards the dividing the sw (software) into two versions;

1. A simple version for those who just want the basic software to view their programming, along with addition of a basic remote control designed specifically for these folks.
2. An advanced version for advanced users that want all of the features that they can get.

Separating software choices will give us the ability to offer advanced features to those that want them, yet have a very simple operating system for those wanting just basic controls.

With that we are re-writing the manual and we should have that out in a few weeks.

Future hybrid receivers are now being developed, which will follow this same software division of simple versus advanced features, expanding this concept to all of our future products. This provides the added benefit of including completely new designs in the software setup that can be added to the receiver at a later time, working in tandem with future programming which is also in the works.

Designs have already been presented that would add the benefit of a reverse EPG, which would allow consumers to use the guide to go back up to one week, to watch a program that they missed.

Flexible updating of this type will allow us to totally change software in receivers that are out in the field. You should see this added benefit within the first year of deployment.

Most important is that these concepts and updates will give added value to the Manhattan product line without burdening the actual product, and enhancing our receivers. An example would be the addition of Conditional Access systems to the receivers, if and when needed by our programming partners.

We look forward working with our retail partners on these and other products for the future.

We greatly appreciate your support!

Regards,

Jeff Schumann"

Sounds ambitious and a good thing. More choices. :)

brentb636 said:
Sounds ambitious and a good thing. More choices. :)
sounds to me like they are preparing the receiver for two markets - us here on satelliteguys who are power FTA users and a simpler code for people like Globecast who don't need much to their receiver - a CAM, maybe an EPG, and don't need all the fancy diseqc support because it's a fixed dish setup.

With a simpler verson of the code, Manhattan can configure the receiver to a Globecast-like customer's needs without potentially messing up many things by trying to add the customizations to the complex code we have for the power FTA users. I just hope they don't forget us power FTA users when the money stream primarily starts to come from their simpler needs commercial customers.

Skysurfer,

No, we actually are planning some more advanced firmware updates as our Beta group is looking at some suggestions that were made. We are looking at an advance grouping configuration that will allow one button tuning. There are configurations that we can go with Nagra or Via Access, that we can incorporate into this unit. But that will be a separate unit altogether in name and configuration. But will be available to the public if they wish to have these CAS for a pay service. What we are planning is the simple and advance function that will activate the different sw levels. Brent and others from this forum had recommended some excellent suggestions that we hope to implement.

That is what we like about this machine, that the platform built allows us to form and shape it, to what the consumers want. That will not change. For the fact like you suggested, that people want a simple features, who are we to argue about this, but to accommodate their request! That is the simple part of it and we will always have that approach on all of units to come.

I thank you for your support.

Regards,

Jeff Schumann

I got a Manhattan RS-1933 for Christmas! Actually, I bought for myself and told my wife that is what I want for Christmas. :)

Anyway, I love this receiver and I cannot believe more folks are not singing its praises.

I like the size - larger than a microHD - the Manhattan measures 11" wide x 7" deep x 1.75" high

Also, things are very well thought out - for example, I have a motorized KU setup and several fixed dishes. With one easy click I can set all the motorized to LNB1 - - - by going "Antenna Connection" and then "Motor Antenna"

i did update the firmware as soon as I got it to version 4.4 dated 02/09/2013 which I believe is the latest. I do wonder if Jeff S. has future firmware updates coming?

This will most definitely now be my new primary receiver - - much better than the S9 that I had that died after less than a year and on par with the microHD but like I said earlier I like the size of the Manhattan better.

Many Thanks for the great receiver!! :up

I got it from GotCband.com for $98 which I thought was a great deal. I have not read this entire thread yet but it seems like most if not all of the initial bugs have been ironed out.

Also, I really like the fact that this receiver is supported here in North America and they have really done a lot to make this a user friendly box.

I have basically the same system as you but the Manhattan quit receiving any inputs from either discs. Was watching a program and suddenly I got a no signal. Box not 6 months old. Put my old PanSat 2600 on to check signal and both lnb are working fine. This thing has about as much staying power as the Open box set did. Not worth the money.

I've had my Manhattan RS-1933 for over 2 years and never had a problem with it. I like the size and the ease of use, I'm just hoping Jeff S. is continuing to support the product.

I've had my Manhattan RS-1933 for over 2 years and never had a problem with it. I like the size and the ease of use, I'm just hoping Jeff S. is continuing to support the product.

I ditto the long ownership with no problems and it's been working great. If there were to be new firmware, I don't know what it would have to fix but I'm sure someone running a more complex setup than me might have an issue that needs addressing. I do have a want list for the firmware but it's only wants, not "has to have to fix" something.

I doubt any new firmware is coming - it's been what, over a year since the last firmware? you'd think if it was still being supported with firmware fixes/enhancements, we'd see new firmware every 6 months or so. You don't even hear the receiver being plugged on the tech radio show anymore.

The RS-1933 was a nice receiver. It started off shaky but Jeff worked hard to fix issues quickly and made it the best box on the market for a long time.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

The Manhattan with an AzBox Premium plus was my starter system that let me get just about everything up there using a motorized 1.2m ku and 10 foot c band dish.

I then added three fixed Ku dishes and a new Enigma2 receiver and a Pansat 9500 and an Amiko Nano. I really wanted to use the Manhattan in my bedroom with a very straight forward DiSEqC switch setup and could never get the Manhattan to work using the latest 4.4 software. The switch setup worked with the AzBox and the Pansat and the Nano. Really disappointed in the switch issues with the Manhattan. Seems some still have DiSEqC issues and others do not. My guess is that there is a hardware tolerance or race condition in the circuitry given the randomness of users having the issues.

I liked the box and the fact the it was USA sourced and the fact Jeff was looking to ressurect the SAMI mesh dishes. I just decided to stop waiting. The Nano fills the Manhattan niche for me and I went ahead and put in a 10' DH Satellite spun aluminum dish.

My personal opinion now this is not a state of the art box but for noobs with simple dish set ups it does OK.

===
Bill

Reactions: tombohio56