Review on the JVC Sirius PnP

Neutron

Founding Supporter
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 7, 2003
Texas
If you have the JVC receiver for Sirius would you do a review on it?

You should get yours before me. You live in NM, right next to TX where these are shipping from. :) Well, it depends on when yours was shipped. Do Scott tell you if yours shipped out yet?

Nonetheless I will write a review on here. Anxiously awaiting it. I'm a little scared of the FM Modulation due to 3 of the 4 station settings being taken by stations here. I will let yall know how it sounds. I will also post pics of my install too.

Neutron said:
You should get yours before me. You live in NM, right next to TX where these are shipping from. :) Well, it depends on when yours was shipped. Do Scott tell you if yours shipped out yet?

Nonetheless I will write a review on here. Anxiously awaiting it. I'm a little scared of the FM Modulation due to 3 of the 4 station settings being taken by stations here. I will let yall know how it sounds. I will also post pics of my install too.
ummm, I thought I was out in the cold, the paypal went thru but I did not get the other page... Scott had to pm me yesterday about it. But that might be cool if it arrived soon :) all the forums really do not have much info on them(avs, dbs, dbs talk, and here) and the sirius backstage doesn't either. gotta go have a cold case paused in my pj room :)

JVC review

I got my JVC when they were first released in February. I absolutely love it!!! At the time, I thought JVC would be releasing a boom box for it in the spring or summer. Unfortunately, JVC probably will not come out with their boom box. I didn't care for the window mount that came with the JVC so in my F150 I fabricated a bracket that is velcroed onto the dash between the drink holder and lighter. When I work in the yard or the garage, I turn on the JVC in my pick up and then use my old boom box FM radio to listen to Sirius. The FM transmitter works great as long as my radio is within 20' or so of the pick-up. Last week I went camping and used my boom box with my second car mount FM transmitter in the tent. I used my home antenna and the transformer cord for the home unit to power the PnP in my tent. It worked great! Got lots of compliments from other campers. I also used the alarm in the PnP to wake me up early to go fishing.

Do I wish the unit was a little smaller...Yes, but I am happy with the performance and with my installation in the pick-up, it is out of the way but easily accessable. In fact I want to pick up another one so that my wife will have one for the dock in her car. I could also use it for my boat or at work.

The unit will get hot if left on and in direct sunlight. The screen then goes completely red and is unreadable until it cools down. If using the unit to hear sirius on another radio as I mentioned above, I would suggest parking in the shade if possible and opening windows to keep down the heat of the unit.

The JVC is very easy to use and quick to understand the features. I am very happy with mine and plan to be with Sirius for a long time.

Yes I am but since I live in Hoosierville (boy I miss the Lone Star state) I have to wait until Wednesday. Hopefully it will arrive before I go to work at 4pm. I would love to see if I can get the home kit to work at work.

Not sure if FedEx delivers on Sundays but if they do you may get it on Sunday being that you're in NM.

Ok after playing with it for about an hour, it beats the heck out of what passes for radio around here :D Thanks Scott :) I'm attaching some shots of my so called install(nothing permanent yet) if they are not big enough I can redo. The pnp came in 3 seperate sealed packages, had the car kit, home kit and fm modulator. I did have to call Sirius to activate and went ahead and got 1 year plan. Only problem I had was getting the suction cup to stick... It would not mount vertical on my '04 F150 where I wanted it finally got it to stick on the dash(leaving it on the dash until I go to work in a couple of hours to see if it stays) It also came with a remote which I will leave in the console as it is more handy than reaching across the dash. I have only skimmed some of the channels and features but I listened to Paul Rodriguez and Richard Pryor on the comedy channel :) My other pickup was parked about 40-50' away and I could pick up the signal in it pretty good. My Sat. strength was pegged out, I have the antenna on my dash and never had any dropouts when I went to town. (no matter which direction I faced) Well worth the money :) Edit,The menus are pretty easy to figure out, now I just have to reread the instructions instead of skimming them.

What sucks even more is after seeing those pics my night at work will go by VERY slow now since mine won't be here until tomorrow. :D

That's awesome that you have gotten the antenna to work with it sitting on your dash. I'm still planning on putting mine on my roof near my FM antenna. I just hope the wire is long enough.

The antenna wire should be long enough. Gotta work myself tonite 12 hours and 3 of um... (leave in about an hour or so) so I cant play with the radio. :( btw the suction cup doesn't suck to good, it was laid over a little while ago. I might put it in my work truck to listen to on the way to work :)

Have you looked into a mount that Panavise makes? Not sure if they have one for the 04 F150 (good looking truck BTW).

Are you eventually going to put your antenna on the roof or keep it like it is?

Neutron said:
Have you looked into a mount that Panavise makes? Not sure if they have one for the 04 F150 (good looking truck BTW).

Are you eventually going to put your antenna on the roof or keep it like it is?
Have not seen the panavise, thanks. Its a magnet mount, but for security reasons, I might leave on dash and throw under seat when parked, but seeing posts at avs about xm and sirius it looks like my only option would be to go out of my roof mounted brake light if I should mount on roof.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)