Riggleman Resigns(Quits)

lefatman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 10, 2008
Selbyville DE
Nationals manager apparently told his GM before the game that if his contract was not settled before games end he was resigning and after their 1-0 victory over Seattle did just that. He has the Nats ate 38-37 and felt that their failure to sign him for next season indicated that he was not in their future plans.Sad day for National fans, as Riggleman finally had them headed in the right direction.Apparently davey Johnson is under consideration for the interem job.

What's going on with these guys quitting?? Not only do you not get paid the remainder of your contract, it makes it harder for you to get hired in that capacity again.

cosmo_kramer said:
What's going on with these guys quitting?? Not only do you not get paid the remainder of your contract, it makes it harder for you to get hired in that capacity again.

These were 2 different reasons on why Rodriguez for the Marlins and Rigglemen for the Nats. One guy was winning and management did not think he was the reason, and the other was not winning and he felt he had lost respect of the clubhouse...OR that's a lie and they forced him out.

These were 2 different reasons on why Rodriguez for the Marlins and Rigglemen for the Nats. One guy was winning and management did not think he was the reason, and the other was not winning and he felt he had lost respect of the clubhouse...OR that's a lie and they forced him out.
Now, that's ridiculous. Isn't baseball a team sport?? If the team is doing well, shouldn't everyone share the credit?? What's wrong with that guy??

cosmo_kramer said:
Now, that's ridiculous. Isn't baseball a team sport?? If the team is doing well, shouldn't everyone share the credit?? What's wrong with that guy??

And if the team ain't hittin' worth beans....shouldn't THE TEAM take the blame? In a perfect world, you and I would both be right...but in the world of professional sports and there is hundreds of millions of revenue at stake, that is not the case.

I dropped in for the last 5 innings I of today's game (stadium in next door) and was surprised to learn he has resigned by the time I walked back to the office. Don't hear of anyone quitting after winning 11 of the past 12 games. Strange.

Sent from my HTC EVO using SatelliteGuys App

Unless something absolving him comes out, he's damaged goods. Why hire a guy who will quit on you?? It's not like he's an NCAA coach leaving to step up in class....

So far, I can't think of anything that might have pissed him off, except that since he was signed in mid season a year ago, then he might have had a one year lease ending about now somewhere and he is pissed that he can't make permanent housing plans. Pretty dumb reason, but I can't think of any other.

Not treated with respect? Give me a break. At the start of the season, he was offered one year fior $600,000 with a team option for the next year. If that contract shows no respect, then why did he take it? Because no one was offering him a better one.

So his team just won 11 of 12. A month and a half ago, Florida was winning. Does that mean that they should have given a longer term contract to their manager? Until a few weeks ago, Cleveland was winning. Ditto.

Last edited:
That is shocking, because they were actually starting to come together as a team and play good baseball.

I find that his principles got the best of him. But obviously, there was some friction there and we do not know what COULD have been said or promised behind clothes doors. On the surface, that will not be good for him.

Completely different scenario my friend. Tressell had to quit based on all the negativity that was surrounding him and his team as long as he was there.

AHHH...it's different. OK...:rolleyes:

Anyways, back to the subject at hand.... it looks like Riggleman had requested an extention conversation quite a few times and it looks like the GM was in a wait and see approach... OR waiting for the next sexy name to become available. Funny, he had the team playing well and they would not even discuss an extention?

Reminds me of the Marlins wonderful ownership having and manager just winning the manager of the year award...and firing him.

As I have said before, loyalty is a 2 way street. I don't think he should have quit because of HIS players...but I can see a manager being fed up with a pseudo 'short term' manager tag above his head after signing 2 straight 1 year contracts. He had the team playing well, he should have merit AT LEAST a conversation about an extention. They would not even entertain that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)