Riggleman Resigns(Quits)

So let me get this straight, the Nats had NO ISSUES giving a contract for this year AND next year in less than 12 hours, for more than likely MORE money to Davey Johnson, but they would not even discuss it with Riggleman??!!

F#@k the Nats ownership and their bull$@%7!

So let me get this straight, the Nats had NO ISSUES giving a contract for this year AND next year in less than 12 hours, for more than likely MORE money to Davey Johnson, but they would not even discuss it with Riggleman??!!

F#@k the Nats ownership and their bull$@%7!

They just didn't want Riggy back next season. They could have just told him this fact and he probably would have been just fine with it.

riffjim4069 said:
They just didn't want Riggy back next season. They could have just told him this fact and he probably would have been just fine with it.

Exactly...and I am sure that is all he wanted. Assurances of whether he WAS or WAS NOT part of their plans.

Riggleman cries about working on one year cntracts, but he has only had two of them: last years and this years. He was hired as an interim manager, and if Strasburg had not gotten injured late last season, Riggleman wouldn't even have been managing Washington this year.

With the spectacular arrival of Strasburg, Washington was on the verge of becoming a desirable managing situation, and as such, could negotiate fairly for the services of a top tier manager. Riggleman agreed to hold that job of placeholder for $600,000 a year this year, with a $600,000/$100/000 buyout club option for next year.

Who knows why he is all of a sudden upset by the terms of an agreement that he entered into with his eyes open? Maybe it is a combination of a lot of things. Maybe, in addition to havng to tolerate player insubordination, he gets sick and tired of his family and friends saying to him, "What gives?" and "Do they want you or don't they?". He already knows the answer: they don't want him in the long run, so there was nothing for the GM to talk to him about.

How did the likely incoming manager, Davey Johnson, go from never having hit more than 18 home runs in a season to hitting 43 in 1973, and then never hitting more than 15 in a season after that? That's even more incredible than Carl Yastrzemski hitting 44 in 1967. We will never get to the bottom of HGH and its likely use in the 1960s and 1970s.

Last edited:
Who knows why he is all of a sudden upset by the terms of an agreement that he entered into with his eyes open?Maybe it is a combination of a lot of things. Maybe, in addition to havng to tolerate player insubordination, he gets sick and tired of his family and friends saying to him, "What gives?" and "Do they want you or don't they?". He already knows the answer: they don't want him in the long run, so there was nothing for the GM to talk to him about.

I'm thinking your on to something here, we only know PART of the story.

I am a partial season ticket holder to the Nationals(Sunday plan) and am in COMPLETE DISAGREEMENT with the way this was handled. Rizzo did not have the balls to tell Riggleman that he would not be back and this led to the resignation.Records aside,Jim Riggleman is and always has been a player that the majority of the player respect. Living here in the area and trying to stay on top of the situation,my assessment is this: The Nats paid too mch money for a mediocre Jayson Werth who is a cancer in the clubhouse and an under achiever on the field and the GM felt that making the manager the scapegoat was the easy way out.This team has a great future in front of them and it is a shame that Jim Riggleman will not be part of it. As a fan, I wish them only the best,but I am a litle disappointed with this situation.

How's the success of the Nationals NOW with Davey Johnson? Ownership let THEIR pride get in the way of killing momentum and now....look at them. They were solidly in 3rd place and only a couple of games behind the Braves and now they are in dead last .....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts