Riggleman Resigns(Quits)

Riggleman has been saddled with some poor teams in the past so his overall record is below five hundred. However when he took over Seattle the team was full of malcontents and he turned the team around somewhat and should have been given another year to improve on that.Fat head Rizzo the gutless wonder is the one who should walk the plank for not backing up Riggy.

Riggy partying his sorrows away last night....

6a00d8341c562353ef01543339ea5e970c.jpg

Shame too.... I mean that team is gonna be good. And I think will eventually have more fanbase backing than the Orioles.

I agree the team has potential, but there is no way they will ever have a long-term fanbase larger than the Orioles - never! There are plenty of native in Baltimore City and the surrounding area (generations of O's fans) whereas there are nothing but transplants in the DC area (huge current/former military population, huge Pittsburgh/PA population, huge Asian population, huge population of people who can't find a job (lots of geographic bachelors), and even O's fans over the 33-years in which there was no baseball in DC). I have never been to a Washington Caps game that wasn't outnumbered by Red Wings and Penguins fans; similar experiences with the Nats and Bullets (aka Wizards). In fact, the only "native" team with a loyal fanbase---in my opinion---over here is the Redskins...but they too are outnumbered when they play the Cowboys and Steelers at home.

DC will support the Nats when they are winning, but they will jump right off that bandwagon when they start losing. I simply cannot imagine them ever having a loyal fanbase to compete with the Orioles.

DC will support the Nats when they are winning, but they will jump right off that bandwagon when they start losing. I simply cannot imagine them ever having a loyal fanbase to compete with the Orioles.

Nats have shown they have more of an upside and ownership willing to spend money....Orioles have not. They have pretty much stayed the same.

on winning.. One has started to win...the other has yet to win.

It's not about winning. The New Jersey Devils have done nothing but win, and they still don't draw...but the loser Rangers do.

Check riffjim's post. He has a much better pulse of the Baltimore/DC corridor metro area.

Sandra

It's not about winning. The New Jersey Devils have done nothing but win, and they still don't draw...but the loser Rangers do.

Check riffjim's post. He has a much better pulse of the Baltimore/DC corridor metro area.

Sandra

BUT, New Jersey is competing with a more traditional and more popular franchise in the Rangers. No different than the Nets and the Knicks. I responded to Riffs post.

BUT, New Jersey is competing with a more traditional and more popular franchise in the Rangers. No different than the Nets and the Knicks. I responded to Riffs post.

Your response to riffjim's post is about winning. It goes beyond winning. He has a great read on the situation.

Sandra

Sandra
Thanks! I don't know much, but I do know the area pretty well. ;)

Anyway, a simple test would be to ask Nats fans if they are also O's fan...you'll hear a resounding yes! Now, if you ask O's fans if they are also Nats fans...not so much. It will take two generations of "winning"---along with the team not packing its bags and heading to Minnesota or Texas---before for the Nats are absorbed into the hearts and minds of DC society; a form of enmeshment. As I mentioned other than the Redskins, this town has very little sports fan loyalty.

In comparison, the folks in my native Detroit would bleed for their sports teams. To be honest, except for the crappy weather, horrible economy and lack of quality jobs, I really miss living in the area because each sports season has a feel...an attitude...a passion; and you can embrace your fellow Detroiters in a shared common goal. Moreover, while there are numerous transplants (mostly from Oklahoma and Arkansas) in the North Dallas area...for the most part everyone falls in line behind Cowboy football. While I refused to follow the Bullets and Caps, I didn't mind occasionally following the Mavs and Stars. Go figure!

In a nutshell, DC is one of the worst sports towns anywhere! They are the worst because this city has no heart nor passion for their teams. However, they are also one of the best because I am always getting free tickets to local sports venues where I can wear my Red Wings attire without harrassment...and being a cheap bastard I love free tickets. :)

If anyone needs more proof here is list of the botton five cities for sports fans...and several fans felt compellted to opine that DC should have been captured on the list. Go figure!

Worst Cities for Sports Fans | The Victory Formation

Anyway, a simple test would be to ask Nats fans if they are also O's fan...you'll hear a resounding yes! Now, if you ask O's fans if they are also Nats fans...not so much. It will take two generations of "winning"---along with the team not packing its bags and heading to Minnesota or Texas---before for the Nats are absorbed into the hearts and minds of DC society; a form of enmeshment. As I mentioned other than the Redskins, this town has very little sports fan loyalty.

In comparison, the folks in my native Detroit would bleed for their sports teams. To be honest, except for the crappy weather, horrible economy and lack of quality jobs, I really miss living in the area because each sports season has a feel...an attitude...a passion; and you can embrace your fellow Detroiters in a shared common goal. Moreover, while there are numerous transplants (mostly from Oklahoma and Arkansas) in the North Dallas area...for the most part everyone falls in line behind Cowboy football. While I refused to follow the Bullets and Caps, I didn't mind occasionally following the Mavs and Stars. Go figure!

In a nutshell, DC is one of the worst sports towns anywhere! They are the worst because this city has no heart nor passion for their teams. However, they are also one of the best because I am always getting free tickets to local sports venues where I can wear my Red Wings attire without harrassment...and being a cheap bastard I love free tickets. :)

If anyone needs more proof here is list of the botton five cities for sports fans...and several fans felt compellted to opine that DC should have been captured on the list. Go figure!

Funny, Forbes had a 10 top and it is almost identical to your post.

In Pictures: The Most Miserable Sports Cities - No. 10 Cincinnati - Forbes.com

Yeah, some people think just because you win, one team should outdraw another. There is a LOT more to it than that.

I have to say that Capital fans sound pretty intense when you're playing in their building.

Sandra

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)