Riggleman Resigns(Quits)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
AHHH...it's different. OK...:rolleyes:

Anyways, back to the subject at hand.... it looks like Riggleman had requested an extention conversation quite a few times and it looks like the GM was in a wait and see approach... OR waiting for the next sexy name to become available. Funny, he had the team playing well and they would not even discuss an extention?

Reminds me of the Marlins wonderful ownership having and manager just winning the manager of the year award...and firing him.

As I have said before, loyalty is a 2 way street. I don't think he should have quit because of HIS players...but I can see a manager being fed up with a pseudo 'short term' manager tag above his head after signing 2 straight 1 year contracts. He had the team playing well, he should have merit AT LEAST a conversation about an extention. They would not even entertain that.

Ruggleman has a LOSING winning percentage as a coach! Seriously, his winning percentage is .400 something. Then, the first year he does mediocre, he DEMANDS a raise "or else"?! Good riddance. The Nationals are better off without that quitter. Terrible example to those young man. How selfish.

Ruggleman has a LOSING winning percentage as a coach! Seriously, his winning percentage is .400 something. Then, the first year he does mediocre, he DEMANDS a raise "or else"?! Good riddance. The Nationals are better off without that quitter. Terrible example to those young man. How selfish.

WHERE did he demand a raise?

Meanwhile back at the ranch...so, was Riggleman's quitting a good or bad move? Offhand, I think it was a boneheaded move on his part. I'm sure the guy can retire from baseball and enjoy life without the headaches of managing a MLB team. However disrespected the man may have been treated (I personally didn't witness anything publically), he made a commitment to manage the ballclub through the remainder of the year. He simply did not honor that agreement. The right thing to do would have been to submit his resignation effective the end of the season and go back to managing the team. If so, I'm sure he would have landed another position somewhere (plenty of teams rebuilding) in the offseason. As it stand now, Jim Riggleman will be 59 later this year and has compiled an unimpressive 662-824 win-loss record as a big league manager. His career is finished! While Billy Martin could get away with doing something like this...Riggleman is no Billy Martin. He is toast!

Meanwhile back at the ranch...so, was Riggleman's quitting a good or bad move? Offhand, I think it was a boneheaded move on his part. I'm sure the guy can retire from baseball and enjoy life without the headaches of managing a MLB team. However disrespected the man may have been treated (I personally didn't witness anything publically), he made a commitment to manage the ballclub through the remainder of the year. He simply did not honor that agreement. The right thing to do would have been to submit his resignation effective the end of the season and go back to managing the team. If so, I'm sure he would have landed another position somewhere (plenty of teams rebuilding) in the offseason. As it stand now, Jim Riggleman will be 59 later this year and has compiled an unimpressive 662-824 win-loss record as a big league manager. His career is finished! While Billy Martin could get away with doing something like this...Riggleman is no Billy Martin. He is toast!

Bad move.

He reneged on a contract he signed.
He walked out on his team (ie quit).
Career wise, it's a terrible move too, since by this example, he can never be trusted again.

I guess he has the stubborn pride of sticking it to the man, but that's pretty selfish.

:facepalm

Wasn't the whole basis of him quitting based on the fact that management wouldn't renegotiate his contract? If you're looking for quotes, sorry. No one was in the locker room during his ultimatum he gave, but it's all being reported as to the reason.

He wanted an extention of his current contract. Riggleman never said he wanted more MONEY.

"Working at the lower end of the pay scale could make Jim Riggleman contract an easy one to buy out. The Nationals owe Riggleman $600,000 this season. While the Nationals cannot technically opt out until after 2011, they will be able to buy Riggleman out of the contract for $100,000 after this season. Therefore, Riggleman is guaranteed only one year. The Nationals could pay Riggleman $700,000 for this season and not retain him, a total that, even with the buyout money, is less than a typical year's pay for a major league manager."

Read more: Nationals can end Jim Riggleman deal after year

Bad move.

He reneged on a contract he signed.
He walked out on his team (ie quit).
Career wise, it's a terrible move too, since by this example, he can never be trusted again.

I guess he has the stubborn pride of sticking it to the man, but that's pretty selfish.

Yep. Pride got the best of him.

He wanted an extention of his current contract. Riggleman never said he wanted more MONEY.

"Working at the lower end of the pay scale could make Jim Riggleman contract an easy one to buy out. The Nationals owe Riggleman $600,000 this season. While the Nationals cannot technically opt out until after 2011, they will be able to buy Riggleman out of the contract for $100,000 after this season. Therefore, Riggleman is guaranteed only one year. The Nationals could pay Riggleman $700,000 for this season and not retain him, a total that, even with the buyout money, is less than a typical year's pay for a major league manager."

Read more: Nationals can end Jim Riggleman deal after year

Schematics. Technically asking for employment beyond the contract you signed IS asking for more money.

He signed on for 12 months at X amount of dollars. He now wants 12 additional months for X amount of dollars. 24 times X amount of dollars is more money than 12 times X amount of dollars.

Schematics. Technically asking for employment beyond the contract you signed IS asking for more money.

He signed on for 12 months at X amount of dollars. He now wants 12 additional months for X amount of dollars. 24 times X amount of dollars is more money than 12 times X amount of dollars.

Like you said....Schematics. AND it was a sudden request. He had been requesting this conversation for a while now. This request was suddenly pulled out of a hat.

Like you said....Schematics. AND it was a sudden request. He had been requesting this conversation for a while now. This request was suddenly pulled out of a hat.

If he didn't agree with his contract, then he should've never signed. Players do this all the time, but a manager is in a position of authority and a leader to his team. This is especially a bad move and bad example.

Semantics.

While Riggleman said he wanted to talk about having his option picked up, which was for $600,000 for next year, there was no reason for ownership to talk about it at this time because they didn't want to exercise their option to renew his contract for next year at this time.

Of course he wanted to talk about a raise and extension. After all, any manager worth keeping to manage a team that will include Steven Strasburg and Bryce Harper next year is worth a lot more than $600,000 a year. Riggleman has the worst won-lost record of any manager with 12 years of managing under his belt in major league history, even when you add in the 11 wins in his final 12 games. He signed a $600,000, one year contract with a one year extension/$100,000 buyout option because that was the best contract that a manager with the worst record in the history of management could get for himself.

I did just read that a few weeks ago, after he pulled a veteran starting pitcher out of a game, the pitcher unleashed a long, foul mouthed tirade at him that lasted for about a couple of innings, so I understand how a lame duck manager could decide that having to put up with that kind of baloney is not worth the $600,000 a year salary he is getting if the job is also a dead end job, but I would hardly call quitting because your employer will not discuss your desire to abrogate a contract you entered into to be a resignation based on any principle that I am inclined to respect.

In retrospect, since the $500,000 difference between exercising his option and buying it out is chump change to many big league owners, maybe a bigger spending ownership might have contractually agreed to extend the contract and then either fired him at the end of the season if it so chose or negotiated a buy-out, but it is easy for me to say that because it is not my $500,000

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)