Roku-Is it worth it?

TimLones111

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 7, 2003
Canton, Ohio
Hello folks:
I spend most of my time here at the FTA forums and have Time Warner Cable for my regular TV viewing-I've been hearing about these streaming TV boxes and think I might want to try the Roku..A couple questions..While there appears to be some tv channels that are monthly access..Do you have to buy a "service" like Cable or Satellite to even use Roku?..I have a wifi home connection. All I would need is probably an HDMI cable..

I have a Roku, Boxee Box, Apple TV, WDTV Live and a number of other streaming boxes, and the best one is the Boxee Box.

With a Boxee Box you can add some repositories and watch LOTS of things, including most everything that is available on Roku.

The nice part about the Boxee is your can download the free Boxee software on your PC or mac and you can see what the Boxee Box is like before ever buying a Boxee Box. :)

I've got 2 roku's , Love Them , you don't need cable or satelitte to use one , just dsl or wifi . If you have wifi the only cable you'll need is the the one that comes with it to plug into your tv . Lots of good free stuff , along with the pay channels to watch there .

The nice part about the Boxee is your can download the free Boxee software on your PC or mac and you can see what the Boxee Box is like before ever buying a Boxee Box. :)
For only a couple more days though, and they have also disabled many of the "premium" streaming services on the PC/Mac side and made them Boxee Box only... way to take care of the people that got you where you are today! :facepalm

Personally, I own two Roku boxes and like them a lot. (An XR and a 2 XS) My only real issue with them is that the wifi in them is a little on the weak side.

I just got the 2 XS Angry Birds edition and love it with the exception of a few things:

The bluetooth remote seems to have issues, it won't pause/start a movie smoothly and I can't get the Birds to fly the same each time (May be me, don't know yet). Closed captioning doesn't work properly, lip sync is way off and the HDMI & Composite ports can't be hot simultaneously.

Other than that I love it, but I don't watch very many TV shows or sports, mainly movies.

To answer the initial question, no, you do not have to pay a nickel for many channels after you buy the Roku box to get a ton of free channels. Of course the biggest draw are services like Hulu Plus, Amazon and Netflix. But I use the heck out of the Roku box for the free international news channels.

TNGTony said:
To answer the initial question, no, you do not have to pay a nickel for many channels after you buy the Roku box to get a ton of free channels. Of course the biggest draw are services like Hulu Plus, Amazon and Netflix. But I use the heck out of the Roku box for the free international news channels.

If you have hbo or epix you can use hbogo and epix on roku if you subscribe to them

one of the private channels has british broadcast tv

Roku, can't go wrong. If you already have Amazon Prime or get it (a great value) you get lots of free movies and some programs via the Amazon app. In fact it was just restyled and is one of the best apps of any.
As Mentioned, if you subscribe to HBO you can get HBO GO through the Roku, and I much prefer to watch it that way than using my Dish Recevier, or on my small computer.

There are TONS of other apps/channels/movies/programs etc... all for free. The picture quality is outstanding, of course assuming you have a fast enough internet connection. 720P for most all things. A couple in 1080.

If it's the BBC you're looking for on roku ,try code:... BBCN , it is also on nowhere tv , code:... H9DWC . MummyBox might have it too , but I have trouble getting that one to work , so it's not stored on my box .

If you are on directv you won't get HBO Go unfortunately.

Love the roku though. Use mostly amazon prime though crackle is good too.

I think it's worth it. Very cheap (monetary, not quality) investment that brings you TONS of entertainment. I also would strongly suggest searching the private channels for more entertainment just because there is so much of it.

The $99 box has a usb port that supports MOV & MKV files, that alone is an awesome feature & worth the extra change.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)