Roku-Is it worth it?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I use my PS3 and PS3 Media Server to access videos on my PC and most of the format of the videos are MKV. Some of the videos have Cinavia protection and the audio drops out after a while when accessed using the PS3, but they play okay on the PC.

Can any of these other devices(Roku, Boxee,Apple TV) access a PC on the network, but play video with Cinavia protection?

Ok, I loaded up Netflix on the Roku, tuned in to Jericho, season 1, ep 3 in HD. PQ was sketchy at best. Just looked crappy -- which of course is a very objective standard ;)

Switched to Apple TV, loaded up Netflix - loaded same episode. PQ was superior to Dish HD. And without a doubt, Apple TV is much more responsive, in terms of the software.

Will I keep Roku? Yes, for Amazon Prime; but I suspect Apple TV will remain the primary streaming device in the house. It might be Apple's "hobby" but if you are interested in Netflix, Hulu, and iTunes access, the Apple TV is rock solid.

hmmm, No apple tv here,I have been watching Jericho on netflix though.I thought it looked great on the roku.Granted it does start off low res but by 60 secs.in its smooth and HD.

hmmm, No apple tv here,I have been watching Jericho on netflix though.I thought it looked great on the roku.Granted it does start off low res but by 60 secs.in its smooth and HD.

That's exactly correct and that is how Roku works often. It starts at a lower resolution then increases to either the limit of your internet connection, or of the server doing the streaming. You can often watch BBC World News start out "smeary" then clear up. I don't use Netflix but can say with no reservation Apple has nothing on Roku for picture quality at our location. We sold the Apple actually because we just weren't using it anymore.

Well, I'd prefer it start in HD and stay that way. And Apple TV does that for me. And the software is so much faster on it. IMHO

I use my PS3 and PS3 Media Server to access videos on my PC and most of the format of the videos are MKV. Some of the videos have Cinavia protection and the audio drops out after a while when accessed using the PS3, but they play okay on the PC.

Can any of these other devices(Roku, Boxee,Apple TV) access a PC on the network, but play video with Cinavia protection?

PLEX media server has been able to transcode many formats from my laptop to the Plex channel on my Roku. It's free, so you could give that a try and see.

In the Apple world, a Mountain-Lion equipped Mac and an Apple TV can "airplay" anything on the screen to the TV. And thus, if you could play the video on the computer, you could display it on the tv. Good example is Amazon Prime. On the iPad, Amazon prime won't use airplay (because Amazon disabled it; OR because Apple did -- not really sure). But play a video on the Mac, using Prime from the web, and go full screen, turning on Airplay... works fine.

Roku does not have a similar airplay functionality; I have no idea if Boxee does. But Apple TV's airplay only works with OSX and iOS devices.

Popcorn hour will play everything, including stuff with Cinavia.

It doesn't have direct Netflix, Amazon, or most other streaming media support, but it will play every possible video format from a server on your LAN.

Popcorn hour will play everything, including stuff with Cinavia.

It doesn't have direct Netflix, Amazon, or most other streaming media support, but it will play every possible video format from a server on your LAN.
Thanks!

In the Apple world, a Mountain-Lion equipped Mac and an Apple TV can "airplay" anything on the screen to the TV. And thus, if you could play the video on the computer, you could display it on the tv. Good example is Amazon Prime. On the iPad, Amazon prime won't use airplay (because Amazon disabled it; OR because Apple did -- not really sure). But play a video on the Mac, using Prime from the web, and go full screen, turning on Airplay... works fine.

Roku does not have a similar airplay functionality; I have no idea if Boxee does. But Apple TV's airplay only works with OSX and iOS devices.
We've been thinking about getting a Mac some day.

We've been thinking about getting a Mac some day.

Its a different type of operating system, but 20 months in, I would never go back. And for $99 the Apple TV is an excellent supplement to it. Or to any iOS devices.

I have had the roku for a week, and while its nice to have lots of options, I still remain unimpressed with the picture quality of the HD stream, get annoyed with the slow-ramp up improvement in PQ, and find the software clunky. It has its place, but side by side with the Apple TV, the ATV wins hands-down. Just Netflix to Netflix there is no comparison.

I'm watching a ton of stuff from HBO GO with mine. PQ is outstanding at about 5 Mbps.

I finally hooked up my Roku I received from Dish last night and downloaded HBOgo right away. I was so excited to see Band of Brothers on there and it looked great. I haven't had time to do anything else with it yet but having HBOgo on it already pleases me.

Would love HBO to pull there heads out of the sand and add MAXgo to the Roku. Hate having to hook my lap top to the tv every time I want to use it.

Yea it would make a nice addition.Strikeback isn't available through hbogo,just snippets.

OK, confused. What is the big deal with HBO Go on the Roku since it is only allowed if you already have a cable or sat subscription?

Now if I was allowed to subscribe to just HBO through the Roku, that would be worthwhile.

OK, confused. What is the big deal with HBO Go on the Roku since it is only allowed if you already have a cable or sat subscription?

Now if I was allowed to subscribe to just HBO through the Roku, that would be worthwhile.

It's only good if you have a sub to HBO.If you haven't already you may could get the HBO for 6mos half off deal.

I have to admit, I have barely used my Roku in the past few weeks, but the Apple TV still gets daily usage. Of course I have not been watching any SG-1 lately, and Roku is essential for it (since Netflix lost it).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)