Roku-Is it worth it?

I wonder the same. Ustvnow is for expats. Wont work on a pc with a us based ip.

Ross

Sent from my rooted DROIDX (Liberty Gingerbread) using SatelliteGuys

That is easily overcome. You only need be outside the U,S. when you sign up, not when you sign in.........

Not everything is listed in the lineup. Yu need to follow the forums to get word on private channels.

igator99 said:
How do you get the free international news? I don't see it listed on the Ruko channel lineup.

Much of that has gone away with a deal with Dish. You might need to subscribe to a certain Dish international pkg for access. It seems some of those international feeds were not authorized and this deal helps Roku avoid some lawsuits.

I have a dumb question about Roku. Are all the channels (standard or private) available to watch on a PC with internet? Is Roku just a STB for you to watch online streaming contents on TV or are there stuff that can only be watched on Roku and not on a PC?

Kraven said:
Regarding USTVNOW, how's the picture quality via Roku?

Cheers, K

The quality is dependent on two primary factors.

First it you subscribe to at least the basic package they devote more bandwidth to delivering TV to paying customers.

Secondly the bandwidth you have available at the receiving end. That is why I prefer using USTVNOW vs my Slingbox in that with a Slingbox you need good bandwidth at both ends.

I watched the first few days of the Olympics in Panama and the quality was good. The video on Sky was better but all the commentary was in Spanish.

Had USTVNOW running on the IPad connected to the flat screen TV in the hotel wusing HDMI. Simpler than trying to connect a Roku. Also when I want to watch geo blocked programming it is easy to run a VPN on the IPad.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Nowhere TV has BBC & Sky news. Plus there is access to the Internet Movie & TV archive at archive.org.

We have a Roku 2 XS. Recently added Netflix and Plex Media Server(gained some more channels with Plex for free). Got more TV than I will ever have time to watch. Drawback for me is the lack of live sports. However, I told Kathy(my other half) that she could leave if she wanted but she wasn't taking the Roku if she did. :)

I have a Roku 2hd and use Roksbox to share my pc saved movies that are in compatible formats, its free for 30 days and $15 to buy via the channel store. there are also a few free softwares to convert pc movies to compatible formats. It was a lot easier when Roku had a USB port!

I have a Roku2 HD as well and love it! Lots of free movies and other stuff on it. Just make sure you have a good internet speed if you plan on watching HD movies or MLB baseball games otherwise you will get a lot of "loading...please wait" messages which can be irritating if you are trying to watch a good movie.

MLB worked even with 1.5Mbps cable connection, though you see the reduction in quality and see the ball/bat trails. With 10Mbps, the quality is much better...but not as good as OTA HD...yet.

I got a Roku XD yesterday; as a supplement to my Apple TV, so I could easily stream Amazon Prime Video (which became a priority when Netflix lost the Stargate tv series in August). SO far I like it, and the PQ seems on par with the Apple TV, but the interface is a bit kludgy, I'd say, is slower than Apple TV. of course, Apple TV does not provide Amazon Prime. :) I'll use them both, but suspect the Apple TV will still get more use. Particularly since it has AirPlay. But EPIX HD on the Roku is nice.

I'm watching a ton of stuff from HBO GO with mine. PQ is outstanding at about 5 Mbps.

I'm watching a ton of stuff from HBO GO with mine. PQ is outstanding at about 5 Mbps.

I eliminated all my movie channels except epix so I can't use HBO Go, but I do like the device. And now I have access to Netflix and amazon prime. Plus the ability to stream my iTunes library on the Apple TV. For $80 this was a win-win situation. Best of both worlds. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)