Roof Mount a 8 footer. Possible?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I did install an 8 foot dish over the roof top of a 2 story BRICK house (about 40 feet). The customer owned a metal building business and he had his welder put together a support from several sizes of pipe starting at the base with a large diameter pipe and gradually welded smaller size pipe every10 foot inside the previous pipe until he was able to clear the ridge top of his roof. He had braces attached from the brick to the pipe every 10 feet too. I was able used his company's bucket truck to put the dish on the pole. I had to pre-sweep the arch on the ground so I could get all of the satellites with the dish. He had one of the first GI 920 4DTV receivers in the area hooked to this dish. All of this was so he could watch NASCAR FEEDS. a couple of years later they removed NASCAR feed from C-Band and he was NOT A HAPPY CAMPER. The dish is STILL THERE but he hasn't used it a while! He asked me to sell all of the cband stuff for him BUT he is asking too much for it. I really need to go by his house & take a picture of the install! BTW he ALSO had words with the HOA. but he won out and they quit bugging him.

BryanSR

All,

Found a good deal on a 8 foot dish, dual C and KU lnbs, motor, and 4DTV receiver (920). I was considering trying to get the receiver just for some Ku channels off X-4,but want to figure out if the BUD dish will work.

My roof might be the only place that I can put the dish where it gets a clear LOS for the entire arc and where the wife will allow (if she does at all; ditching the wife is not an option :) )

Is there any roof mounting that anyone has seen before (pics?) and is it recommended? Wouldn't be doing it my self either (hire a pro; if I can find one in the area).

What mounts would you recommend? Only one that I saw was the LR-2 from Baird.

Any help, suggestions or pics that people can provide would really help.

Thanks!

For flat roofs , I have seen the big non-penitrating mounts for C band , on commercial buildings . Big metal frame / platform weighted down w/ cement blocks .

Wyr

seriously, now . . .

The OP complains that a 30" dish on his roof is an eyesore.
He gets a 4' dish and motor, and hasn't put it up in 5 months.
Now he wants to put an 8' dish on the roof?
Is anyone else having a problem with this story?

I think we all need to sneak over there next time he's away, and put the damned thing up for him.
If his wife kills him over the eyesore, at least we won't have to hear about it! :cool:

I looked on the Satlex gallery for some antenna ideas to bring to the party, but didn't find anything encouraging.
Most practical was a big pipe in the ground, up the side of the house, with dish on top.
From the last time I read the Vetrun forum, that's what the Aussies seemed to like for C band.

Just to clarify, a 30" on the roof was never an eyesore for me, just the neighbors. The original location was not ideal cosmetically, but most importantly, a pain in the a** to align and install (something that I didn't want to repeat on the 4 footer). If the install/alignment wasn't an issue, the 4 footer would be there now :)
In addition, I also mentioned the lack of a mount for the 4 footer and asked for advise on what to use. I have found a few that will work, but again, not at the location I had the 30".
Time, travel, and weather has been my main problem with the 4'. I've installed some ku dishes on the side of the house, but that only gets a few stationary sats. Plus, it makes it really easy, and less time consuming, to tinker with both feet on the ground :)

The more I read on this forum and get involved in this hobby, the more C-band draws my interest. I bet that there are hundreds in the FTA forum that have KU setups and would just LOVE to add a C-band dish if they could.
I am only trying to explore all of my possiblities.

Also, if anyone wants to sneak over to the house and install it, I'll leave a couple of cases on the porch :) :)

lol too bad you're in ohio. too far-o. the one i saw on a roof had a round pole with legs at bottom on a roof ridge. Then there was a flat plate that comes out (to keep rodents from climbing the pole?) and on top of the flat plate is a square pole to which the 10 footer mesh is mounted. next time im in that area, i'll take a picture....

I have seen a few "interesting" c band installs around here. Just the other day I saw an 8'er on 20'+ pole attached to the side of a house. There is another c band dish that is local that is a 10'er on a free standing pole with guide wires and has to be at least 30' above ground!

Last edited:
Don't think this will help you much but this is how I have 2 dish's mounted on the roof of my headend. Flat roof but the dish's are on a concrete block about 3'x3' square and bolted to studs that are in the concrete. You can also see the single dish on the 15' pole attached to the side of the building.

Attachments

• Headend TowerAntennas 005.jpg
    Headend TowerAntennas 005.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 214
Don't think this will help you much but this is how I have 2 dish's mounted on the roof of my headend. Flat roof but the dish's are on a concrete block about 3'x3' square and bolted to studs that are in the concrete. You can also see the single dish on the 15' pole attached to the side of the building.

I hope you very far south and in an area with no ice on the tower.

The antenna mounted low in the pic, is that the one that gave you trouble a while back?

Don't have the specs for that one.

Caddata was in the process of making a drawing with specs and materials list of the roof mount that I use, but he has dropped off the map somehow.

I haven't heard from him in 2 or three months at least.

I have tried to contact him by PM and e-mail, but as yet no response.

Hope nothing has happened to him.

Here is what I use:

mast-in-place.jpg

Keep in mind that the mount itself weighs a couple of hundred pounds, and I put 500 pounds of concrete blocks on each out-rigger for ballast.

Works fine for my dishes, but you need a roof that will support that kind of weight.

All,

Found a good deal on a 8 foot dish, dual C and KU lnbs, motor, and 4DTV receiver (920). I was considering trying to get the receiver just for some Ku channels off X-4,but want to figure out if the BUD dish will work.
scottc, did you ever get this dish? It's been a year ago, but I don't recall reading if you got it or not? Did you get the receiver? Something I would have liked out of this would have been that Dual C-Band and Dual ku-Band Orthomode feedhorn.... If that is what is was? I may have misunderstood and you were calling it a Dual because it had 2 lnb's, even if they were different types. A Dual would be 2 C-Bands and 2 ku-Bands.
If it is a Dual and you have it, would you like to part with it?

Al

I see many older installations around my area. They look terribly inconvenient to work on. Think about when ( not if ) the need will come for repairs or adjustments. Unless it's on a large flat roof, like a commercial building I wouldn't consider the option.

I've posted pics. of two different setups, the first being a 10-footer on a 30' piece of well pipe. I did this one in 1990 at my old house.

The second is mounted to a peaked roof using a tri-pod style mount and two long pieces of angle iron that first get bolted to the roof, then the tri-pod mount sits on top of the angle iron. This too is a 10' dish. The mount must be secure, as it's been there for just under 20 years.

Attachments

• DSC00011.JPG
    DSC00011.JPG
    28.8 KB · Views: 137
  • DSC00012.JPG
    DSC00012.JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 129
  • DSC00014.JPG
    DSC00014.JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 124
  • DSC00016.JPG
    DSC00016.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 127
  • DSC00018.JPG
    DSC00018.JPG
    40.7 KB · Views: 129
Voom,

Never did grab that dish. Since I was unable to find a solution for the mount, I gave up trying to get it. The seller also wouldn't part with the receiver w/o selling the dish (he felt that he'd never get rid of the dish if he didn't have the reciever to sell with it :) ). I'll have to check with him to see if he ever sold it. Not sure about the LNBs either. If he does write back, i'll have him check what type. If its still there, he might be willing to part with the rec and dish parts :)

With all the talk about KU leaving X-4, i've been reluctant to look into a 4DTV rec. At the same time, i"ve been pretty happy with the 4 footer and some of the channels received, so I haven't been hurting too bad with getting a larger dish presently. I've always been curious what DCII channels, if any, i'd be able to pick up with the dish.

Silka,

That angle mount looks nice and may actually work for my roof top.

I'd really like to experiemnet with a 6-8 foot offset dish. I've been so impressed with what I can with the 4 foot offset that I am starting to wonder how a offset performs vs a prime focus dish. If I can find a decent dish or free find in the area, then I might be able to do some compare/contrast bwt the two

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)