S9 receiver after factory reset no video

Status
Please reply by conversation.

electronmini

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 3, 2011
Now back in Texas
Hi, I just did a factory reset on the Openbox S9 I have been using for PBS in 125 W and right after that came with "Nocha" and my TV said: "Video Not supported". I is the same TV I have been using with the S9 for 6 years.

Everything was working fine and was a stupid move probably due to my age. I was getting all PBS channels.

Also I have been using it for 3 or 4 years without the remote because stopped working and the problem is not the remote bu the S9 Box.

I tried to hook it to other TV's but says the same thing: "Video not supported"

I read Iceberg post on have to go to the satellite list and choose satellite. That worked for someone else, but I cannot see the menu.
Is there any way I can get to " see" what is going on and do that? Or may I need to reload software? But how can I load the software id I cannot see the menu?
My TV is a Emerson Digital and has only a DMI input and attached are pics of the rear panels.
If I need new software, I could not find it in this site, please help.

Please help with some suggestions,
Thanks in advance

Attachments

• S9_OpenBox_problem-1.jpg
    S9_OpenBox_problem-1.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 198
  • S9_OpenBox_problem-2.png
    S9_OpenBox_problem-2.png
    219.5 KB · Views: 189
Hi, I just did a factory reset on the Openbox S9 I have been using for PBS in 125 W and right after that came with "Nocha" and my TV said: "Video Not supported". I is the same TV I have been using with the S9 for 6 years.

Everything was working fine and was a stupid move probably due to my age. I was getting all PBS channels.

Also I have been using it for 3 or 4 years without the remote because stopped working and the problem is not the remote bu the S9 Box.

I tried to hook it to other TV's but says the same thing: "Video not supported"

I read Iceberg post on have to go to the satellite list and choose satellite. That worked for someone else, but I cannot see the menu.
Is there any way I can get to " see" what is going on and do that? Or may I need to reload software? But how can I load the software id I cannot see the menu?
My TV is a Emerson Digital and has only a DMI input and attached are pics of the rear panels.
If I need new software, I could not find it in this site, please help.

Please help with some suggestions,
Thanks in advance

I do not have an Openbox S9 but from looking at the manual it appears this receiver starts up in PAL mode (576i) which many US tv's will not recognize. There is a button on the remote called V. Format that allows you to change the video format to something your tv can display. Do you still have the original remote? Even though you said there was a problem it's worth a shot to put some fresh batteries in and try pushing the V. Format button. Another option would be to connect the yellow RCA jack on your Openbox S9 to the jack marked Y on your tv and switch to that input. Many devices can use the Y jack as a composite jack when you are not using it for component video. Can't guarantee it will work or that the video will be viewable enough to get back in the menus to access the System Setup/TV System section but again it's worth a shot.

Yes, you have it in PAL mode, you need to follow the advice from FTA4PA, to get it back to where you can use it.

Reactions: electronmini
Whaooo... I did not think of that, now I am trying to find a TV that has that option. Meanwhile I was thinking somehow it should be able to emulate the "V" button that you mentioned with the controls at the receiver. But I have not idea of where to go and find that.
I have not been able to find the two remotes I have for this receiver, but I know neither one work on the receiver and it is not the remote control but the receiver the one that does not accept the signal.
Thanks a million for your input.

Thanks a lot, but I had two remotes that worked well with one friend's receiver but did not work on mine. WHich tells me that is not the remote but the reciver if three remotes worked well on another receiver but not with my receiver.
I am still puzzled that that signal cannot be emulated with the front control buttons.
Thanks for you input.

That is the way it is these days. If your handy, you might be able to pop the cover on the receiver and make sure the IR sensor is pressed up against the front plastic window on the receiver.
Have seen some act that way and by just taking my finger or a tool and carefully moving the sensor, I got it to work. That is if the sensor in that unit can be moved.
Some are on the board with no excess leads. Could be dust or something is blocking the window also.

Michael, I just looked at one of my S9s and that IR sensor isn't easy to get to. The top cover has to come off then the front face plate has to come off then there's a PC board on the INSIDE of that face plate that will have to come off and there's a ribbon cable connecting that front PC board to the main board. Not impossible, but, not a 5 minute job either especially if you don't know what you are doing.

I have tried remotes and do not work on my receiver. I cannot find anyone with a PAL TV so I though that if someone with an S9 receiver tries to get to the screen for "TV Sytem" using just the buttons on the front of the recorder and writes down the sequences of key press then I could duplicate blindly and get to one of the screen formats tha my TV used to receive fron the satellite box.
I am sure that someone else have done the same not very inteligent thing I did whe I went to "Factory Settings"
It could be made available to others nor very bright like me
At this point I see only three options for me:
1-Obtain a key sequence that blindly would allow me to restore viewable setting for my TV
2-Buy a new receiver even that this was working welll without the remote
3-Go to a TV repair shop and see if they have a matching TV and can follow my user Manual

Right now I am set for option 3 but I live in the bundoks ln North Ontario and the closest reasonable city with a repair shop is Huntsville 45 clicks away.

Thanks to all for your time and dedication. I hope that many will read my mistake on just going to "Factory Settings" and will be spared from this drama.
Thanks

The user manual on page 20 list all the possible video resolutions, I could not figure out the one of those is PAL
480i, 480p, 576i, 756p, 720P_50, 720P_60, 1080i_25, 1080i_30 and a bunch of other stuff that I cannot really understand

Attachments

• 1503056740939-55125557.jpg
    1503056740939-55125557.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 196
Michael, I just looked at one of my S9s and that IR sensor isn't easy to get to. The top cover has to come off then the front face plate has to come off then there's a PC board on the INSIDE of that face plate that will have to come off and there's a ribbon cable connecting that front PC board to the main board. Not impossible, but, not a 5 minute job either especially if you don't know what you are doing.
Forgot to mention that I will try this suggestion too, but I am afraid that my clumsy fingers will do more damage than good !
Thanks, any option should be explored. I will post the results.

I have tried remotes and do not work on my receiver. I cannot find anyone with a PAL TV so I though that if someone with an S9 receiver tries to get to the screen for "TV Sytem" using just the buttons on the front of the recorder and writes down the sequences of key press then I could duplicate blindly and get to one of the screen formats tha my TV used to receive fron the satellite box.
I am sure that someone else have done the same not very inteligent thing I did whe I went to "Factory Settings"
It could be made available to others nor very bright like me
At this point I see only three options for me:
1-Obtain a key sequence that blindly would allow me to restore viewable setting for my TV
2-Buy a new receiver even that this was working welll without the remote
3-Go to a TV repair shop and see if they have a matching TV and can follow my user Manual

Right now I am set for option 3 but I live in the bundoks ln North Ontario and the closest reasonable city with a repair shop is Huntsville 45 clicks away.

Thanks to all for your time and dedication. I hope that many will read my mistake on just going to "Factory Settings" and will be spared from this drama.
Thanks

The user manual on page 20 list all the possible video resolutions, I could not figure out the one of those is PAL
480i, 480p, 576i, 756p, 720P_50, 720P_60, 1080i_25, 1080i_30 and a bunch of other stuff that I cannot really understand

Do you have another TV you can try it on? When I got my Amiko receiver, at some point for an unknown reason it changed its output to 50 Hz (used for PAL systems), and my 10-year-old Sony TV could not handle it, would display some garbage. But my recent Samsung can handle it like a champ. So if you can bring your receiver to someone who has a recent TV, you might be able to get a picture, and change that setting (as long as the front panel buttons will let you navigate there...).

Also, have you tried the yellow composite connection like FTA4PA was suggesting? Try connecting it to the Green jack on your TV and switch the TV input to either Component or Composite (on component it might be just enough to get a viewable picture, maybe with the wrong color). Alternatively, try the 3-wire component connection, maybe that will work, can handle HD and is almost as good as HDMI...

Well, I'm not sure that the terms PAL and NTSC are still relevant in this digital age, but in general, people refer to PAL for the settings that are for the 50-Hz world (most of the world) and NTSC for the 60-Hz-World (Most of the Americas, and a few Asian countries).

The "NTSC" world uses 480i, 480p, for Standard definition , and 720p_60 and 1080i_30 (and others not in your list) for HD
The "PAL" world uses 576i, 576p for SD and 720p_50 and 1080i_25 for HD (and others not in your list)

Since the S9 is mostly marketed for the PAL regions is probably defaults to 576i or something like that.

Like I hinted to in my previous reply, some North American TVs can handle that without a problem and others can't. So it's worth checking it on other TVs and see if you have any luck.

Then of course it will all come down to whether or not, once you get a viewable picture, the front panel butons will allow you to navigate to that setting.

Digging around in some old stuff I found this:

Press
Menu
Press Dn arrow 2x
Press OK
Press Dn arrow 1x
Press OK
Press Right arrow and pause (up to 8x)
Press Exit 3x

Not sure if this is for the S9 or S10. I know on one the menu system is up and down and the other the menu is across the top left to right.

Do you have another TV you can try it on? When I got my Amiko receiver, at some point for an unknown reason it changed its output to 50 Hz (used for PAL systems), and my 10-year-old Sony TV could not handle it, would display some garbage. But my recent Samsung can handle it like a champ. So if you can bring your receiver to someone who has a recent TV, you might be able to get a picture, and change that setting (as long as the front panel buttons will let you navigate there...).

Also, have you tried the yellow composite connection like FTA4PA was suggesting? Try connecting it to the Green jack on your TV and switch the TV input to either Component or Composite (on component it might be just enough to get a viewable picture, maybe with the wrong color). Alternatively, try the 3-wire component connection, maybe that will work, can handle HD and is almost as good as HDMI...
I did tried with 3 TVS that are fairly new but was with the HD I cable only so I will try your suggestion. Yesterday's trip to the city did not bring any good results. TV shops did not have or did not want to take up the task. I will also try Michael's key sequence below today.
Another option that came up is a good friend in Sprucedale that has also a S9 box archived. I was thinking to borrow it and put side to side with mine and duplicate in mine the key sequence to get to the frequency change. That in case the key sequence by Michael fails or I push wrong buttons. I noticed the front panel keys have a mind of their own to accept key-press.
Thanks a lot for your input and my hat off to your knowledge on all this frequency details!

Reactions: Brct203
Digging around in some old stuff I found this:

Press
Menu
Press Dn arrow 2x
Press OK
Press Dn arrow 1x
Press OK
Press Right arrow and pause (up to 8x)
Press Exit 3x

Not sure if this is for the S9 or S10. I know on one the menu system is up and down and the other the menu is across the top left to right.
Thanks a bunch for the suggestion, trying it in a few moments.
I really appreciate your effort to dig that stuff up.
Thanks

Reactions: KE4EST
If you have a computer monitor with HDMI ports, they typically will display both 50 or 60hz input signals.
Humm... my Dell Loptop does not have but I may be on a search for any of my friends that may have one.
That seems a very likely posibility since there are many friends with new
PCS.
Thanks

Reactions: FTA4PA
I did tried with 3 TVS that are fairly new but was with the HD I cable only so I will try your suggestion. Yesterday's trip to the city did not bring any good results. TV shops did not have or did not want to take up the task. I will also try Michael's key sequence below today.
Another option that came up is a good friend in Sprucedale that has also a S9 box archived. I was thinking to borrow it and put side to side with mine and duplicate in mine the key sequence to get to the frequency change. That in case the key sequence by Michael fails or I push wrong buttons. I noticed the front panel keys have a mind of their own to accept key-press.
Thanks a lot for your input and my hat off to your knowledge on all this frequency details!
I Just tried the key sequences but no results, now I made some some substitutions since my front panel has only: MENU, OK -VOL, +VOL,-CH, +CH in that order.
Then I substituted:
MENUE=MENU
Down arrow 2x= -Ch 2x
OK = OK
Down arrow 1x = -Ch 1x
OK = OK
Right arrow = +Vol
Pause 8x= press +Vol 8 times and wait 10 seconds every time (should I press also OK every time?)

After that I did tried with: Down 2x= +Chl instead of -CH
. Right arrow = -Vol
. and the other 2 possible combinations for CH and Vol crossed.

Just for the hellofit I took my "spare" S9 out this morning and connected it up to the Raydx system. I've also got another S9 that I normally use so I backed up all the data off that one and then did a test with the spare.

I went into the "Tools" menu and did the "Factory Default" deal. After that I powered it off, turned off the power strip for 15 seconds then turned it back on and it came back on WITH A PICTURE ON THE FLAT SCREEN TV it's connected to??? So, I'm a little bit confused as to what's going on with yours??

My S9 is connected to my TV with the RCA Red, White, Yellow cables NOT HDMI and as I said, it came back with the TV picture just like it was before I did the "Factory Default" thingie on it.

This begs the question as to whether you used a USB drive with the firmware loaded on it and did a reset that way?? If so, what firmware version is loaded on your S9?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts