Samsung unveils Ultra HD Blu-ray player UBD-K8500

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Last edited:
I imagine DV will be norm in a year or two, problem comes with meeting the brightness requirements. I am just glad the HDR10 data is already layered in DV, so you can still get HDR10 either way.

Reactions: tigerfan33
Well. Placed an order. Was never pleased with my 2 previous players. We'll see how this one goes. Probably use it for a while, and then put it upstairs and get either a Panasonic or Oppo when they come out.

Thats my plan. The Panny will most likely be my primary player, that thing looks too good and PHL is involved. A bit of comfort is that the 2014 and 2015 Samsung players have gotten good reviews.

Im ready to have it and The Martian UHD in my hands!

Decided to get myself on the list. Seems Panny is Q2 and Oppo of course would be Fall. Not sure on Sony yet.

Samsung - UBD-K8500 Native 4K Wi-Fi Built-In Blu-ray Player - Black
Model: UBD-K8500
SKU: 4853800
Quantity: 1

Expected release date: 02/21/2016

$422 with tax.
Moved up to February 17 (ETA)

For some reason Amazon's page for the Samsung has been removed but the player is still in my open orders.

Seems Best Buy now shows Friday the 12th as their on sale date.

This one is tough...the geek in me badly wants to pre-order the newest toy, but the reality is that I rarely buy blu-rays, and it will probably be some time before UHD Blu-ray rentals are a thing, if ever.

The conflict is strong with this one. :confused:

IMG_0787_zpsetogxqhc.jpg

IMG_0786_zps4ri26gju.jpg

IMG_0785_zpsdq5fd40s.jpg

IMG_0784_zpswncqacfg.jpg

Dual HDMI output! Great! It means I can use my old A/V receiver with it!

But why does Samsung insist on curved screens?!! :D

Lotta issues with certain HDMI cables and 2160p out with deep color on. My monoprice redmere were acting up and swapping to my BJC FE series (have the new HDMI premium cert) got it working.

Seems the issue is, 2160p 444 DC on 12 bit is out of the HDMI 2.0 spec, so thats why some 18gbps cables have issues. I wont be using DC on anyways, the OLED guys are finding these settings to be perfect:

Samsung
2160p Forced
ycbcr 444
DC off

LG
WCG on

I also ran spears and munsil versions 1 and 2 today in the player at 2160p 444 and 1080p 444, and everything looked well. We will probably watch Everest 3D on it this weekend and I am gonna leave it on 2160p and see what happens.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)