Samsung unveils Ultra HD Blu-ray player UBD-K8500

Just stopped at a BB this afternoon and they had one of those players on hand! What do you know!

Finally got to spend some time with Netflix (using Marco Polo). My ADSL only allows me to get 1080p from Netflix (confirmed with Info button on remote) but the PQ from the player to my display is very very good, sharp and great contrast. DD+ passed fine as well. Login was easy other than this dinky remote.

Here is what my Denon reports while playing back Netflix:

IMG_0853_zpsa7bvqxxx.jpg

Reactions: Ilya
I am going to let this format play out a bit more, especially with the Universal and Disney Studio announcements. Would also rather wait until calibrators catch up too.

Last edited by a moderator:
HDR is an uncharted territory right now. Hopefully it will all be sorted out in the next year or so. And hopefully most issues can be addressed with firmware updates.
I am glad the first player is only $399. I paid more than that for my first Blu-ray player and even for my first DVD player...

I was able to get a good price on mine and its gone. Hopefully things will sort out in the next 6 months or so. PQ is so good now with 1080p 2D and 3D, it's not like I have a gun to my head.

Reactions: tigerfan33
Finally up. A couple first impressions. I definitely noticed the red push in the ROKU4 last night while watching Fuller House on NF. Since it was fresh in my mind, I signed into my account on the 8550. It was absolutely gone. Looked perfect. Right now I am only running 2 cable through my CS-A5100. Popped in The Martian. Got the hook up to an HDR display message. I expected that since the update doesn't come until some time next month. I did not see any banding that has been reported in the Martian sky. Looks terrific.

Martian looks great! Exodus seems to be messed up though: I played the included HD version and it looks completely different from the 4K version. Either the HDR encoding is done incorrectly or I just haven't figured out the right TV settings yet.

If I have time this weekend, I'll try the dual HDMI depending on whether or not the HDR update comes for the Yamaha.

Watched Chappie last night. Not a fan of the movie, but the 4K picture quality was amazing! I think it's the first movie out of the first 4K bunch that was actually shot in 4K, not upconverted.

OK. Had some time this morning, so I ran HDMI 1 directly to my 940C and HDMI 2 to my 5100. Made the necessary adjustments. Works like a charm. Automatically switches in and out of HDR mode and audio bitstreams fine. I popped in The Martian for some test scenes, and they all looked spectacular. I'm going to watch The Last Witch Hunter after lunch.

I found out completely by accident my Sony remote also controls the UHD player. So much easier to navigate with it.

S~

I found out completely by accident my Sony remote also controls the UHD player. So much easier to navigate with it.
Mine too! And it also controls my 4K Joey! So I can use the Sony remote to control all three video sources! I also like that Sony automatically changes the input as soon as I power the player on or off.

P.S. Here goes my post # 14,000 :)

Reactions: teachsac
What is the dual HDMI for? One to surround receiver for sound and then one to TV for video??

What is the dual HDMI for? One to surround receiver for sound and then one to TV for video??
Correct. If you have an older receiver without HDCP 2.2 or HDMI 2.0, it won't pass through the 4K video. But with dual HDMI that problem is solved. I am very glad the Samsung player offers that!

Yep. Still waiting for the HDR update for my Yamaha. Then I will go back to a single cable through the processor.

S~

I have a Denon AVR2312CI and I can't see where it says it can do HDR.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)