Samsung unveils Ultra HD Blu-ray player UBD-K8500

I returned mine as the Samsung and JVC do not play well together at all. I'll wait till something works or firmware updates will get this one to work.

Yeah, the HDR is gonna cause problems for some folks.

I heard thru the grapevine you will be able to cut some of that off with the new Oppo, maybe.

You can get a device from here that will allow you to turn HDR off if needed.
They are in a lawsuit over HDCP. lol
I'll wait for plug and play.
https://hdfury.com

Still looking at this years LG OLED.
How is HDR on this year OLED?

Reactions: gadgtfreek
It's still a mess. Samsung owners can't agree on HDMI settings, crazy... Plus people are randomly changing gamma depending on the movie, it's a mess.

As far as the player goes, its fast, passes video tests, and I just put the first blu-ray thru it, 3D Everest, and the PQ was great. Can't complain about it at all so far, once I figured out how to set it up, but the UHD format is a mess.

I think I am going to order one. Does anyone know the best place to buy it? No one seems to have it in stock, all showing "pre-order".

Probably won't get one now until the first. Still waiting for my Amazon order which was placed the first day they went up.

S~

Yeah, Crutch and Bbuy had an early batch and it appeared Amazon did too, but then they pulled back for some reason. I grabbed mine early thru Best Buy.

Amazon. They had Feb ship dates and everything, and then it went to "we will let you know a shipping date" and they have not done anything. I think Samsung sent the early stock to limited places. I ordered mine from BBuy on the 11th and it was at my house on 2/15.

That's not pulling back.... Samsung is slower than thought in getting them out. No one has pulled back. PC richards told me they are being told two to three weeks to get them, they too had said February.

LOL. Amazon started the January preorder at the same time as Bbuy and Crutch, and Bbuy and Crutch customers are using their players right now. Amazons customers went from a 2/17 delivery date to "we will get it to you when we get it to you". But sure, thats all Samsungs fault. I think Amazon goofed. I know because mine was ordered thru Amazon first.

This was an early release all along and the actual release was March. It's not that they are behind, only certain outlets got them early (Just like how BBuy is selling UHD discs early) and Amazon screwed their customers over. It reminds me of those sites that let you order something they dont have in stock.

Huh??? They have more flat than curved models, LG may have more curved models, Sony still has a curved models.
I was referring to the 2016 4K lineups, the odd curved shape of this UBD-K8500 player and Samsung's slogan "The Curve Changes Everything" ;)

I just find it odd and funny that the first 4K Blu-ray player had to be made with a curved shape!
To complement curved TVs I assume.

Checked my local Best Buy last night. No local stores have players listed in the system. No ETA either. However, they do have a dozen of 4K discs on display all priced at $29.99. I bought one, just in case...

I like that the 4K Blu-rays are reasonably priced (29.99). However, I don't like the fact that the 3D HD version is not included...

Reactions: dfergie
Its a bit of a mess. Until I can get a proper UHD cal (not sure if he will have the ability yet in late March) from Chad, I'm sticking with 2D and 3D 1080p blu. Seems the wider color gamut needs work and HDR content is requiring a different gamma. I cancelled my UHD preorders and swapped to normal 2D and 3D stuff.

2D and 3D look so good on this thing I have no concerns or need to rush in, and I have been happy with the Samsung player so far, even though it was $400...

Is that a problem unique to your LG set? Or is it an issue with all brands of TVs?

No, OLED owners seem to be happy so far. Many sony and samsung owners are changing gamma on their LCD's. Im just going to wait on the cal to try and determine what is right.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)