SatelliteGuys MPEG4 Contest!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
chrisexv6 said:
With the installers suggesting a pole mount, I have to start thinking D* has shot themselves in the foot.h in place of the old. If it turns out I cant, cable might be my only option. -Chris

I think installers may be griping just to stay off the roof with a heavier and harder to mount dish. Plus, is the pole mount an upgrade?

mikedz4 said:
the size of the dish will end up turning alot of people away from directv and back to cable or over the air.

I doubt this very much. AND its size still falls inside the FCC regulations to protect it from discrimination.

Rubinl said:
Your right, I need the H20. Other than that, I might as well have the 3-LNB.

Well Rubinl, I hope you don't take offense to this, but why (and how) did you already get the new dish if you don't have the H20 reciever? I was scheduled for the new dish install last Saturday, but the appointment was cancelled because they ran out of the new dish, and I already have the H20 sitting in its box. I could have had your dish! :)

When they came out, I has no idea I needed a different receiver (this was before I learned about this upgarde) and the installer was also cluless. I was just trying to get some High Def programming since I just bought a High-Def TV. Sorry about that but I'll be thinking of your when my H20 comes. ;)

f300v10 said:
Also, have you tried using the HR10-250 and an OTA antenna to get your locals? Reception can be a bit spotty depending on the weather, but most of the time it works great for me.

It could be your OTA antenna alignment, it can be very critical. I was having a problem with mine cutting in and out, then I peaked it up and it worked fine. I also found a bad connection of a coaxial cable, to a connector and fixing that increased my signal strength even more. It is worth a check. I improved my signal from about 40% to around 90%, by tweeking the antenna and finding the bad connection.

Well we got pictures of the Dish, however still no screen shots ofthe Detroit MPEG4 channels or guide shots.

Someone is going to win this $50 in my pocket, who will it be? :D

I hope to be able to provide those pitcures....if the dish does go up tomorrow

Scott Greczkowski said:
Well we got pictures of the Dish, however still no screen shots ofthe Detroit MPEG4 channels or guide shots.

Someone is going to win this $50 in my pocket, who will it be? :D

Scott, there are sooooooooo many of us waiting.......this is out of your pocket? What a guy!

Waiting to see more my "beta" tester friends......

Barney

satjay said:
I hope to be able to provide those pitcures....if the dish does go up tomorrow

If not you, I am slated to get installed at 8 a.m. Friday. Am I supposed to root against you now? :D

I could use $50 toward a new Pronto remote I have my eyes on!!

Well I got installed this afternoon. I had to twist the tech's arm big time to get him to install on the roof where my VOOM dish was. Its a large and heavy dish. We had to run two more lines in addition to the Voom's already installed dual coax. The total cable run to the multiswitch is four. The tech said that Dish was not yet broadcasting the MPEG4 signal? As you can see the HD locals are broadcasting. The sound appears out of sync with the video, I would say about one to two seconds delay. The picture is great.

Attachments

• DSC02011.JPG
    DSC02011.JPG
    21.1 KB · Views: 2,225
  • DSC02013.JPG
    DSC02013.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 2,084
  • DSC02014.JPG
    DSC02014.JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 2,054
  • DSC02020.JPG
    DSC02020.JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 1,948
  • DSC02021.JPG
    DSC02021.JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 1,206
  • DSC02022.JPG
    DSC02022.JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 1,265
  • DSC02026.JPG
    DSC02026.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 1,376
  • DSC02027.JPG
    DSC02027.JPG
    56 KB · Views: 1,672
  • DSC02029.JPG
    DSC02029.JPG
    49.9 KB · Views: 2,011
mkottman said:
Well I got installed this afternoon. I had to twist the tech's arm big time to get him to install on the roof where my VOOM dish was. Its a large and heavy dish Had to run two more lines in addition to the Voom's already installed dual coax. The total cable run to the multiswitch is four. The tech said that Dish was not yet broadcasting the MPEG4 signal? As you can see the HD locals are broadcasting. The sound appears out of sync with the video, I would say about one to two seconds delay. The picture is great.

Looks like no luck on WB20 in HD, correct? I hope they get that up and running soon as the Pistons are in HD this year!!

The $50 reward is officially over.

I finally got my hands on a Directv Dish and receiver this afternoon to send over to our good friends at Echostar Technologies so they can take it apart and see how it works :D

I guess Charlie Ergen didn't believe that Directv was actually launching HD locals, and tomorrow morning at 10AM UPS will be delivering the proof :)

Hopefully Dish will be providing HD Detroit locals soon on the 129 Satellite :D

Very nice but man that dish is huge. I'm going to have to take a chainsaw to the neighbors trees to get that one dish working unless I can use multiple dishes.

WOW! NICE! Well Scott - looks like you got a winner here! mkottman delivered all the eagerly expected photo's. I must say Im impressed mkottman, nice screen shots!

Thanks all. I would not have been on top of all of this without the help of SatelliteGuys.US! Remember, I’ve not been able to feed the HD beast since Voom said goodbye. :)

mkottman said:
Well I got installed this afternoon. I had to twist the tech's arm big time to get him to install on the roof where my VOOM dish was. Its a large and heavy dish Had to run two more lines in addition to the Voom's already installed dual coax.

...did u have a chance to hold the dish before it was installed? Is it really 30#?

Ya, I handed the dish up to the installer while he was on the ladder. I would say its around 30lbs . . . difficult to hoist up to the mount arm with one hand while balancing yourself on a steep roof like mine.

One observation made during the install is that you do not have to be located "behind" the dish to tweak in the alignment as the installer first thought. The adjustments can be made by reaching underneath the dish and up to the pivot points.

mkottman, how about a screen shot of the signal strength screen for one of the KA transponders. Curious to see what type of readings you're seeing. Thanks

mkottman, I would love any reviews you could offer regarding direct comparisons of an OTA channel (HD program) vs. the same satellite delivered local program. I've had my doubts as to how well they can encode mpg2 HD to mpg4 HD on the fly (especially fast motion stuff). From your initial report it is VERY promising.

Congrats on the contest!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts