SatelliteGuys Review: Logitech Revue with GoogleTV – A Diamond in the Rough

as an fyi, wired is reporting that the honeycomb update will start streaming October 30.

here's the obligatory link.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

Key quote from that Wired story, "But as Mario Queiroz, Google’s vice president of product management, told me, Google considers Google TV to be a marathon project, not a sprint."

Official Google blog story here: The Official Google TV Blog: An Update on Google TV

Also the timing of this GoogleTV update is starting to make at least a little more sense because YouTube is supposed to launch some "Channels" feature next week. They were probably waiting for whatever licensing deal or content agreements to come through.

The GoogleTV site has also been updated. http://www.google.com/tv/

Last edited:
The Sony Google TV boxes will get the update first, with the Logitech Revue boxes getting the update sometime later.

I have been running the update for awhile now and got to admit I still dont like it.

The Sony Google TV boxes will get the update first, with the Logitech Revue boxes getting the update sometime later.

I have been running the update for awhile now and got to admit I still dont like it.
I think it's a million times better than the original. Better looking. Easier to navigate. More functionality. The ability to add apps is HUGE. DD5.1 in Netflix is HUGE. Customizable Home Screen is HUGE.

If they get Hulu to stop blocking, which is a real possibility now that Hulu has changed their model, and allow streaming directly to SmarTV devices, it will be a pretty hot little device. In fact, I'll bet we'll see an android Hulu app for GTV soon. I'd like to see Vudu, as well. And, if it can support 3D streaming, and I see no reason why not, as it is generally not source-dependant, but display-dependant, this would be an absolutely killer box for $99, especially with the keyboard.

This was posted up on the Logitech Blog:
As you may have heard, the new version of Google TV was announced today. And now, we are excited to announce that the free automatic update for Logitech Revue™ with Google TV™ is coming soon. Some key developments will include access to the Android Market, faster and more comprehensive search capabilities, a simplified user interface and improvements to the Logitech Media Player. We look forward to sharing this update with you, so stay tuned!

I know there have been complaints about the Logitech Media Player. Even if this update from Logitech isn't to your liking, they already list a couple from other developers who have ported their apps to TV. So there's some choice for you now... you are no longer stuck with what Logitech gives you.

EDIT: Interesting note on the Features page of the GoogleTV website:

Enhanced Integration with DISH Network

• Search DVR
  • Record to DVR with one click
  • Integration with apps
  • Not available with all providers; check with your provider for details
  • Additional provider charges may apply
What does that mean? Developers were first told that they wouldn't be able to interact with the live TV feed... Did Google give in or make a workaround? Also here's what it says for media support:

Personal Media Support

• It works with your home network and supports DLNA
  • Support for many popular media formats
  • Video
    H.264 (MP4, MKV, MOV, AVCHD, 3GP), MPEG-4 part 2 (MP4, DIVX, AVI, 3GP) WMV (ASF, AVI)
  • Audio
    MP3, AAC, Vorbis/OGG, MIDI, PCM/WAV, WMA, FLAC
  • Images
    JPEG, GIF, PNG, BMP
  • Other formats supported

Last edited:
DISH Network CSR's have been given the following statement regarding the GoogleTV update which is supposed to start rolling out to SONY GoogleTV boxes next week.

Google and Sony TV have announced the release of a new version of Google TV that is not yet available to customers with the Logitech Revue. If a Logitech Revue customer calls to inquire as to when this update will be available, please advise them that while there is no official release date from Logitech, they should expect to see it by the end of November.

Now it looks like the update for the Revue will be here by the end of November.

Is there any new Logitech Google TV hardware on the way in 2012 or are they sticking with this version of the Revue?

we had quite a discussion on that when the price reduction was first announced. A few of us said it looked like that and others thought it was either amusing or downright crazy. no announcement though. We can say that for sure.

Support for many formats: But I never see a list of these formats. Like Silverlight. The one format I want to use, I can't. Just when I got the box the provider changed to Silverlight from another one that does work.

As expected, the Sony GoogleTVs are getting their update pushed to them now. Some people on the Logitech support forum are speculating that the Revues will get theirs starting Tuesday as that has been the pattern in the past. But again, nothing official from Logitech (or Dish) as to a date for Honeycomb for our Revues.

Gmail from Google this am.

Hello,
Thank you for having purchased a Google TV product with the initial version of our software.
We’re excited to send you this advance notice about a number of software improvements that will soon be coming to your device through an automatic update. The update is rolling out over the next few weeks.
When you see a dialogue box on your TV saying “update available,” feel free to click “update now,” otherwise you can postpone the update by a few hours by clicking “not now” (handy if you’re in the middle of watching a movie). Once the update has downloaded, just follow the on-screen instructions.

has anyone here received the update yet? if so, can you post your initial impressions?
thanks!

it's supposed to run through the Sony bluray units first. the logitech units are supposed to roll out 'soon' after the Sony units .

As usual soon is an indeterminate period of time.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts