SatelliteGuys Review: Logitech Revue with GoogleTV – A Diamond in the Rough

Just FYI, I haven't used mine in about 2 weeks, and looks like in that time I got another new release.

My current 3.1 build is KA2X-20111105.05207

I am liking the Slacker App... although it does not have a screen saver which could be bad.

Also started playing with Plex which might get me around the Google TV restrictions at places like FOX, NBC, Hulu etc. :D

I am liking the Slacker App... although it does not have a screen saver which could be bad.

Nice, I was hoping that Slacker would port their app. I'm guessing you're wanting a screen saver to prevent "burn-in"? I'd e-mail the dev through the market link and ask them about it. It might be an oversight on their part, or at least they might get back with you. Something I've liked about the people that build Android apps is that most of the time they will get back with you.

Just in case there was any question to what I posted yesterday, here's the final word from the CEO:

Yesterday, Logitech hosted an Analyst and Investor Day and during his remarks, CEO Guerrino De Luca pulled absolutely no punches in describing the "mistakes" the company made with its Logitech Revue Google TV set top box. Calling the company's Christmas 2010 launch "a mistake of implementation of a gigantic nature," De Luca told investors that the company had "brought closure to the Logitech Revue saga" by making plans to let inventory run out this quarter and that there are "no plans to introduce another box to replace Revue."

There's more frank comments from the CEO in the article, basically saying what everyone here already knows that Logitech made a $100 million bet on a beta product and lost. But he did say this about the GoogleTV product:

De Luca did throw Google a bone by saying that he believes Google TV will have a chance sometime in the future, but it would be a "grandchild of Google TV" that would do it. Logitech clearly has no plans to help make that happen, opting instead to sit "on the bench" (as De Luca had put it in an earlier call) until Google can find success.

Logitech CEO: Google TV 'cost us dearly,' no Revue replacement coming | The Verge

Apparently I have no business sense because there isn't a single Logitech product I would buy at the MSRP price other than a Revue for $99 (which seems about right for what it is). Plastic remotes? Come on people! They ought to be gold plated for Logitech prices.

If Logitech management had priced the Revue at $99 last year, we would not be having this discussion.

I have the revue, and I like it as it gives me a low powered, easy to implement internet browser on my big screen. Streaming video via Amazon, etc. was a big plus as well..

I even wanted to get the mini keyboard controller as a better coffee table solution than the big standard keyboard. But for $120? They are nuts... It is worth $49 MAYBE.

$303.80 for me on 10/21/10. I wouldn't say I feel ripped off, but disappointed more hasn't been done. I still love the way it's hooked up as a pass through for my DirecTV, no changing source for quick lookups and used as a way to get media and apps to my TV.

It's just slow, which is the most frustrating part. It's like using a 6 year old laptop with Vista on it or something. Or any computer with Windows ME.

I think the biggest issue from my end was the lack of updates from Logitech/Google. This box had tremendous potential and with even regular incremental improvements more people would have been satisfied. Hopefully third party apps will take advantage of this box's capabilities.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Was on the fence or awhile but decided to pick one up today at one of our two Best Buys now that they both went to "limited stock" at both stores. When I got to Best Buy they were out at both stores and out at BB online. So ordered online directly from logitech for $99 tax free with free shipping. If you're going to get one don't wait.

I pretty much agree with you Scott.

My only concern is that I got an email saying that version 2.0 is ready and that it would be downloaded into my revue anytime, however it has not. Also said that the look and feel will be pretty much like a cell phone with a lot of developers adding apps.

Can hardly wait to see what is next...

Looks like all the news about what the CEO said has prompted Logitech to put out a statement on their blog about how they are still committed to releasing the Honeycomb update and providing warrenty support to the Revue hardware even though they are no longer making them.

As our CEO Guerrino De Luca stated earlier this week, Logitech will not manufacture new Logitech Revue units. That said, we do believe that consumers in the U.S. will be able to purchase the product during this holiday season. And all owners of Logitech Revue will receive the automatic and free update of Google’s recently announced updated version of Google TV, which we expect to roll out before the end of the year.
It is important to note that Logitech remains committed to all of its Logitech Revue customers and will continue to provide them with customer support under our warranty policy. We will also continue to support the Media Player, TV Cam, Keyboard Controller and Mini Keyboard.
We are very excited about the new release of Google TV, which includes access to the Android Market, faster and more comprehensive search capabilities, a simplified user interface and improvements to the Logitech Media Player. And we are optimistic about the long-term opportunity for the Google TV platform and the potential for Logitech to offer associated products as the ecosystem evolves.

The Next Version of Logitech Revue with Google TV Due Before Year End | Blog.Logitech

Looks like all the news about what the CEO said has prompted Logitech to put out a statement on their blog about how they are still committed to releasing the Honeycomb update and providing warrenty support to the Revue hardware even though they are no longer making them.

The Next Version of Logitech Revue with Google TV Due Before Year End | Blog.Logitech

If Logitech wanted to help sell the remaining revues, they would release the update now, not by the end of the year. This sounds like what we have now is what we will have. I was an original purchaser of the Revue from Dish and have gotten a lot of use from it, but with the update it could be much better. I hope that the update still happens, but it does not make any sense that the update would occur after all of the presently unsold Revues are sold.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts