SatelliteGuys.US DishNetwork Uplink Activity Discussion - Week Ending 12/08/2007

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Digi - simple question for you - how come virtually all of your responses to questons asked have a bit-o-sarcasm in them? You seem to be quite the knowlegeable person - but you have to remember that not everyone understands all there is to know about the satellite industry.....You should be honored that everyone ( or most folks) look upto you for answers every week.....

Remember it takes more muscles to frown than smile! :D :D

Digi - simple question for you - how come virtually all of your responses to questons asked have a bit-o-sarcasm in them? You seem to be quite the knowlegeable person - but you have to remember that not everyone understands all there is to know about the satellite industry.....You should be honored that everyone ( or most folks) look upto you for answers every week.....

Remember it takes more muscles to frown than smile! :D :D

I hate to answer questions when they were already asked and answered before in the same thread. I could understand if the thread was 20 pages long.

I try to break it down in layman terms when I can.

I'm not frowning here...all smiles.

i've seen him answer the same question so many times that I'm supprised he answer them anymore.. sarcasim must be his way of giving a reason to keep answering the same question over and over ;)

Good choice of channels SciFi and USA are very popular in my household and clearly bridge the gap to D* for me greatly. Good work E*.

I to am glad that USA is in HD now. I am one of those that can watch Law & Order 24/7. Scfi I dont watch at all, but since the majority of people on here like it, I guess it is pretty popular. I am really wanting the Tulsa locals to come on in HD, that will be sweet paradise when that happens.

I don't watch SciFi or USA, but I am glad for the people that have wanted this so badly that this is being added. Being a sports guy, I'm waiting for ESPNEWS HD in March.

Good choice of channels SciFi and USA are very popular in my household and clearly bridge the gap to D* for me greatly. Good work E*.

I agree! When I was deciding between D* and E*, I compared the lists, and only 3 channels didn't exist at E* that I wanted. SciFi and USA are two of them! I'm just hoping for no lip sync issues once they're up.

Don't assume that the show you want to be watch will be shown in HD.

It's good that this makes people feel better, but ... one of my favorite channels is History Channel, and since E* added "History HD", not one program has been in true HD - just endless stretched upconverted SD. :(

"A&E HD" shows "24" in upconverted 4x3 SD - even though they could get 16x9 SD just by renting the DVDs at the Blockbuster down the street. :(

A channel with "HD" in the title is just hot air that takes up twice as much bandwidth - until they actually show some HD programming (like the Voom HD channels).

Interesting comment about ESPN U and ESPN News.

I have it on pretty good authority at ESPN that Dish NEtwork is committed to carrying ESPN NEws and ESPNU in HD on DAY ONE.

However, commitments like this are Costing us Dish subscribers in the short term, because they are preventing Dish from picking something up Now. How?

Because Dish is capacity constrained until the new satellites launch, they are contractually obligated to hold open AT LEAST two channels worth of HD bandwidth for the two ( at least) ESPN channels. I have it on somewhat lesser authority that there will actually be FOUR NEW HD ESPN channels next summer (News and U and perhaps Classic and a secret new flavor).

That have to reserve that bandwidth on the existing satellites because they cannot be sure when or if the scheduled birds will get in the air.

That could be why they are not expanding as fast as we would like them to.

It's good that this makes people feel better, but ... one of my favorite channels is History Channel, and since E* added "History HD", not one program has been in true HD - just endless stretched upconverted SD. :(

"A&E HD" shows "24" in upconverted 4x3 SD - even though they could get 16x9 SD just by renting the DVDs at the Blockbuster down the street. :(

A channel with "HD" in the title is just hot air that takes up twice as much bandwidth - until they actually show some HD programming (like the Voom HD channels).

I understand what you're saying and completely agree, however....I think you will find, at least with HistoryHD, that there are now a significant number of true HD broadcasts. Apparently, even with shows shot in/for HD, there needs to be processing done before they can be broadcast that way. That's why many of the "new" shows are letterboxed and not in HD. After a while I have seen these same shows in true HD. A&E is moving in this direction but is not doing as well as History HD.

With USA-HD and SciFi-HD (if they ever come) I think you are right on the mark.

=NLK=

I think everyone understands that there won't be 24x7 content. Most of us don't watch TV 24x7 either. I'm looking forward to SciFi for Atlantis, BSG, and other original series. Same with USA -- Monk, and maybe I'll get into Psych someday. A&E also plays some native HD content -- I've seen one of the CSI's in native HD before.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts